Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > The Outsider (HBO)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3131 comments Mod
Based on Stephen King's book, the first two epsides were shown last night and it is surprisingly very good. It stays very close to the story told in the book, takes it's time explaining the mystery, and the actors are believable in their roles.
If you have the chance to watch this, I'd recommend it.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I | 60 comments I really enjoyed the first two episodes. Not sure why critics are giving it a hard time.

message 3: by WendyB (new)

The reviews I've read seem to think these first two episodes are the best and then, like a lot of King's work, it slightly falls apart. We'll see. I read the book a year or so ago and liked it, so if they continue to stick close to the story it should be worth watching.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I | 60 comments WendyB wrote: "The reviews I've read seem to think these first two episodes are the best and then, like a lot of King's work, it slightly falls apart. We'll see. I read the book a year or so ago and liked it, so ..."

Oh, I forgot they probably get to see the entire series, haha. Well, I was wondering how they were going to make it last 10 episodes. I really enjoyed the book, but it might have been better to do five or six episodes? Like you said, we'll see!

message 5: by Char (new)

Char  | 14255 comments Mod
I enjoyed the first two that aired last night.
I'm most interested in the introduction of Holly Gibney. She was my favorite character from the book.

message 6: by David (new)

David Haynes | 3177 comments We're watching the first two tonight. I only read this a month ago so I'm pretty excited about it!

message 7: by WendyB (new)

Char wrote: "I enjoyed the first two that aired last night.
I'm most interested in the introduction of Holly Gibney. She was my favorite character from the book."

It'll be a different actress playing Holly than the one from the Mr Mercedes series. I'm curious to see a new actress' take on the character.

message 8: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5107 comments Mod
Haven't watched it yet, but I thought the first 1/3 or the book was the best, and actually didn't even feel like typical SK. I wouldn't be surprised if the best eps are the first couple and it tails off some afterwards.

message 9: by Chandler (new)

Chandler | 162 comments I loved the first two episodes! The book is among my Top 5 for King's books so I have high expectations for the rest of the series. I hope they can maintain that level of greatness for the remaining episodes.

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7260 comments I watched the first episode and I am currently watching the second episode right now. So far, I am really enjoying it.

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 912 comments We watched the first two episodes on Sky Atlantic last night and it was an 8/10 for me. Very very very good.

message 12: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5107 comments Mod
So i've watched the first 3 eps. They're remarkably dark and mostly well-done. My two gripes are: A. They compressed almost 40% of the book into the first 2 eps. What made the beginning of the book so great was how much it went back and forth of whether the guy was guilty, and all the evidence the police were getting, and all the conflicting evidence Coach Terry and his lawyer and wife were getting, and the family dramas of them and the family of the boy who was killed, etc. Being that it's a 10-ep. series, I don't understand why that didn't take at least 3-4 eps.
B. The choice of actors for some of the parts (like the older guy who introduces them to Holly becoming a nondescript middle-aged guy) and their need to make a PC statement in place - such as changing Terry's alibi being at a book convention where he gets to meet his writing hero Harlan Coben to it being a scholastic/literary convention where he debates the selectivity of banning books. Like, really? Heaven forbid the guy was doing something enjoyable instead of being a crusader?
Generally, I like it, but I'm worried they're stretching the last half of the book out way too long after rushing through the better first part of it.

message 13: by Brick (new)

Brick Marlin My wife and I are a huge fan of this show. I love how it was directed and how dark it is as the story moves forward. Right now we're on vacation and are anxious to watch the latest episode when we get back home. Our condo doesn't have HBO.

message 14: by Mackayla (new)

Mackayla | 1 comments So I actually read this book because my dad talked to me about the series and how he was enjoying it. I’m glad I did because the book is excellent, even with the poor Stephen King typical ending, it is much better than the series. It must be a book peeve but I really don’t like the series after the third and fourth episodes. They stray too far from the actual source material and don’t have as much mystery and tension as the book.

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 31 comments Yes, I knew there was another reason (after His Dark Materials) to renew my HBO subscription.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 199 comments I haven't read the book, not a huge King fan, but I am enjoying the series.

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 31 comments Jennifer wrote: "I haven't read the book, not a huge King fan, but I am enjoying the series."

Excellent book. I couldn't put it down.

message 18: by Myst (new)

Myst | 403 comments Did they totally change Hollys backstory?

I dont recall her being from coal country...I thought she was middle upperclass Chicago or New York? (Not a fan of changing ethnicity in a character either...but whatever.)

I dont really remember the book, but i did read it. The series is ok, but not really drawing me in. Ep 4 with the rest set to record today.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I | 60 comments The show is excellent. Can't wait for the finale tonight!

message 20: by WendyB (new)

The "new" Holly takes an episode or two to get used to but the actress playing her is really very good.
The show isn't scary but the story is pretty good. And it's obvious they made some changes to it to leave out any references to the Mr Mercedes character of Bill Hodges in Holly's background.

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7260 comments I haven't watch the finale yet, I'll probably it by tomorrow. I hope there is some sort of conclusion as I now see the show is being tagged as a miniseries.

message 22: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 912 comments The finale is on in the UK tonight. I cannot wait!

message 23: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5107 comments Mod
I was absolutely and utterly disappointed in what a wet hot mess they made of this. The best eps were by far the first 2, where they rushed through the best 40% of the book. They then dragged the last 60% out over the remaining 8 eps, made head-scratchingly stupid story and character changes, and then rushed through the big finale in about 10 minutes. If you never read the book I could maybe understand someone enjoying this more, but while I found the book less than perfect, it was 1000x better than this garbage Hollywoodized adaptation.

description

message 24: by WendyB (new)

I didn't hate it but I was disappointed.
Why didn't they show us the Outsider instead of telling us about him? It might have provided some much needed scares.

message 25: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 912 comments I totally disagree. I thought the series concentrated on the human aspects of the book rather than making it another generic horror series full of jump scares.

Acting was beautiful and whilst it did deviate from the book a little, it captured the effect the monster had on the families. Possibly even more than the book did.

It was definitely one of the better SK adaptations and I hope other ones follow with the same tension build and characterisation development.

8/10 for me.

message 26: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 912 comments EvieProvan wrote: "Making money online more than $15k just by doing simple work from home. I have received $18376 last month. Its an easy and simple job to do and its earnings are much better than regular office job ..."

Yeah thanks for your input!!!

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 199 comments I haven't read the book, I honestly don't really read SK....but I seem to like his stuff that is done on screen. So, for me, there were a few places that truly scared me and I thought it was well done. Sometimes not knowing the source material makes for better watching.

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7260 comments Just finished the finale. Overall, I enjoyed the show. I can't say that was my favorite ending but I would keep watching if the show did get a second season. I would be okay with it if it didn't.

message 29: by Alex (new)

Alex Murphy | 28 comments While it had a strong start it wandered off repeatedly after the first few episodes. I knew Paddy Considine was going to be someone important, because he was too big an actor to have in about 3/4 of the show as just man in strip club. Then in the last 2 episodes said, 'its him he's the bad guy' with zero build up.