Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Witcher > The Witcher—TV series vs. book

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 842 comments Mod
I am just wondering about how the TV series stacks up vs. the books. I have not read or watched, but I know some of you have done both. Is the series a good representation of the books? Do you prefer one to the other, and if so, why?
Thanks!

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan O'Neill Hi Kathi. I'm reading the last book in the main series now and have to say that the tv series stays fairly faithful to the books.
There are deviations here and there. There are a number of episodes that include a lot of material that expands on what was only ever briefly referenced in the books. In most cases this was to benefit the show.
There are a few misrepresentations of characters, in my opinion. One in particular that I think they will find very hard to rectify later on.
The acting is pretty good all round, with Henry Cavill being a standout. I think he does a great job as Geralt.
The CG and makeup is a little bit poor at times which is odd for a show with Netflix budget.
All in all I think they have done a pretty good job with the show but I definately prefer the books. This is largely because the Witcher, above all, is about the relationships and interactions between it's main characters and their companions and you can never expect to get the same depth with regard to this in a tv show as opposed to a book.