Book Cougars discussion

Episodes > Episode 93 - Our Top Reads of 2019 and Author Spotlight with Jess Montgomery

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) | 255 comments Mod
Chris and Emily went on a joint jaunt to see the newest adaptation of Little Women written and directed by Greta Gerwig. Also, our top reads of 2019 and a chat with author Jess Montgomery about her new book The Hollows.

https://www.bookcougars.com/blog-1/20...

message 2: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 17 comments when you're using a device to listen or read a book you can put your device on airplane mode if you've already downloaded it. That will keep you focused and keep all of your incoming messages from bothering you and also save some battery. Just remember to turn the airplane mode off when you're done your reading time. the timer will still work on your device if you need some way to limit your reading.

message 3: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 17 comments so many books, so little time.

message 4: by Nancy (last edited Sep 26, 2020 06:36AM) (new)

Nancy Motto | 15 comments My 2020 New Year's resolution was to listen to your podcast and to that end I downloaded #89 through 91. Then life (and the pandemic) got in the way and here we are nine months later and I have finally downloaded all the rest of the podcasts which I listen to on my walk every morning. In episode 93 you talked about people asking you how you read so many books and I just wanted to mention a method that works for me. I divide the book into sections or goals, if you will. My first goal is the first 100 pages, the second goal is the halfway point and my third goal is to get to the last 100 pages. When I get to the last 100 pages I feel like I can see the finish line and the pages to the end usually fly by. Another method that I sometimes use is the date I have to return a book to the library, especially if it feels like a slog but I still want to read it. I divided the number of pages by the number of days before I have to return it. If a book is 350 pages and I have ten days before it has to go back, I read 35 pages/day. Somehow that seems to make it more manageable. Happy reading, see you in November or maybe the Hachette Brunch Oct 17?

message 5: by Chris (new)

Hi Nancy, we are happy to be part of your morning walks!

Those are two excellent methods you've shared. Thank you. I (Chris) have broken up longer books by X number of pages a day, especially classics that I want to read but may not be all that jazzed about during the day-to-day reading of the book. It really does help keep me motivated.

What did you think of the Hachette event?

message 6: by Nancy (last edited Nov 04, 2020 02:44AM) (new)

Nancy Motto | 15 comments While I was happy to be able to listen to the authors speak, it just wasn't the same as in person. What makes the event so special is the excitement and camaraderie generated by all those readers in one place. BTW, if you haven't read Attica Locke's Route 59 series, I highly recommend it.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Nancy wrote: "While I was happy to be able to listen to the authors speak, it just wasn't the same as in person. What makes the event so special is the excitement and comraderie generated by all those readers in..."

Agreed. Nothing beats that in-person excitement. I have Bluebird, Bluebird and am moving it closer to the top of my "read next" pile.