Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
This topic is about Age of Death
Sullivan - Riyria and Legends > Sullivan - Age of Death [Feb 11, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
Age of Death - Michael J. Sullivan
Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5) by Michael J. Sullivan
February 11, 2020.
Requested by Iain & Tammie & Elizabeth.

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

In!

Elena | 40 comments I’m in too!

message 4: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Feb 09, 2020 02:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm starting a couple days early because I finished up with my other audiobook.

Tammie | 3827 comments I started last night. I love that it was so easy to pick up where the last book left off. I'm already completely engrossed in the story.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments I'm a little late. Need a couple more days to finish my current read before I start a new one.

Tammie | 3827 comments My favorite part of the book so far. Chapter 19 (view spoiler)

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 988 comments I finished listening to it today at work. I don't know, I loved Suri's parts, but most of the parts in the Pyre (is that how it's spelled?) just didn't impress me too much. I liked it, but overall it's probably my least favorite so far.

Tammie | 3827 comments I think I liked it about the same as the last book. Nothing was astounding, but it was an enjoyable read.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments I started today. Hope to have some updates tomorrow.

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie wrote: "My favorite part of the book so far. Chapter 19 [spoilers removed]"

Yes - this was such a memorable part! (view spoiler)

message 12: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

I also finished it. I liked it a bit more than the last book as I felt the pacing was better, but I have to agree, I enjoyed Suri's parts a lot more than the other story lines.

Elena | 40 comments I finished too, and I also liked this more than the last one! Suri’s parts are my favorites too, and (view spoiler)

message 14: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elena wrote: "I finished too, and I also liked this more than the last one! Suri’s parts are my favorites too."

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Listening to the book on audio made me realize it is a bit hard to talk about the series only because I had no idea how to spell some of the character names (like Mawyndulë).

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 988 comments Same Jenna! I read the first few on kindle, but didn't remember by the time I listened to this.

Frank | 650 comments I enjoyed the book, but I think for some reason I enjoyed the previous one. The setting for me was depressing, although I did enjoy many parts especially Suri.

It will be interesting to see how Michael will button everything up.

Timelord Iain | 14679 comments Jenna wrote: "Listening to the book on audio made me realize it is a bit hard to talk about the series only because I had no idea how to spell some of the character names (like Mawyndulë)."

Uh... it's spelled MONDULAY ;)

Timelord Iain | 14679 comments Tammie wrote: "My favorite part of the book so far. Chapter 19 [spoilers removed]"

For sure...

Timelord Iain | 14679 comments Jenna wrote: "I also finished it. I liked it a bit more than the last book as I felt the pacing was better, but I have to agree, I enjoyed Suri's parts a lot more than the other story lines."

Tammie wrote: "I think I liked it about the same as the last book. Nothing was astounding, but it was an enjoyable read."

Elizabeth wrote: "I finished listening to it today at work. I don't know, I loved Suri's parts, but most of the parts in the Pyre (is that how it's spelled?) just didn't impress me too much. I liked it, but overall ..."

I read this yesterday, and don't have much to add... I liked the first 3 books more than this 3-part conclusion... I liked how MJS acknowledged the risks of a story like this in the Foreword, tho, and Robin's summary of the mythology revelations in the Afterword...

I could probably listen to Royce/Hadrian books forever, but won't particularly mind when this series ends and The Rise & The Fall begins... the fact tR&tF is going to have a larger timescale should be interestings, spanning/jumping hundreds of years?...

message 21: by Timelord Iain (last edited Feb 20, 2020 12:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 14679 comments Elena wrote: "I finished too, and I also liked this more than the last one! Suri’s parts are my favorites too, and I was glad that [spoilers]..."

Have you read Riyria Revelations?... the things we know from that series really frustrate me in this series a bit, regarding Mawyndule (view spoiler)

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 988 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Elena wrote: "I finished too, and I also liked this more than the last one! Suri’s parts are my favorites too, and I was glad that [spoilers]..."

Have you read Riyria Revelations?... the things we..."

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Elena (last edited Feb 22, 2020 06:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elena | 40 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Elena wrote: "I finished too, and I also liked this more than the last one! Suri’s parts are my favorites too, and I was glad that [spoilers]..."

Have you read Riyria Revelations?... the things we..."

Yes! I loved reading about Royce and Hadrian, although I hadn't made the connection about Mawyndulë (view spoiler)

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Tammie wrote: "My favorite part of the book so far. Chapter 19 [spoilers removed]"

That was a poignant moment.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments I suddenly feel like I need to reread all the Royce and Hadrian books. So many details I forgot.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments I'm still at about 60%. I am going really slow with this one. Part of it is that I'm reading it, and not listening. And part of it is just that every time I pick it up I read a couple of pages and put it back down. I don't know why but it's just not grabbing me like the other books did. I miss Raithe.

message 27: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I suddenly feel like I need to reread all the Royce and Hadrian books. So many details I forgot."

Me as well. I feel like I'm not making a lot of the connections I should be making as I haven't read the first Riyria books in a long time.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Age of Death (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael J. Sullivan (other topics)