You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > February 2020 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jan 16, 2020 05:11AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15095 comments There was a clear winner this month: Books with fatal words (death, murder, kill, or words that have these words as their root) in the title.

Please go ahead and nominate a book that fits the theme.

If you don't want to nominate your own book, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- In case of series, only the first book in a series is allowed, even if later books could be considered as stand-alone

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close January 18.

Nominations
Deathless (Peggy - Lisa)
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI (Jayme - Cherie, Lilisa)
Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident (Dawn - Silver, Lucy)
Death on the Nile (Renee - Fiona)
One Word Kill (Margo - Janice)
Life Will Be the Death of Me: . . . and You Too! (Kristie)
The Colour of Bee Larkham’s Murder (Saar)

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15095 comments I nominate Deathless

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9425 comments (view spoiler) :)

message 4: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2398 comments I'll nominate Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann

My face-to-face book club just so happens to be reading this book for February win/win!

message 5: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jan 13, 2020 04:35AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15095 comments Sandra, (view spoiler)

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I did a quick search of my books for these words and loads cropped up in the series titles but not in the actual titles. Other than books later in a series. I expected to have had loads to choose from!

message 8: by Jayme (last edited Jan 13, 2020 06:40AM) (new)

Jayme | 2398 comments Dawn wrote: "I nominate Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass IncidentDead Mountain The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar"

I saw a documentary on this last year. It was really creepy and frightening. Once again so many good books nominated.

message 9: by Silver (new)

Silver | 467 comments Dawn wrote: "I nominate Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass IncidentDead Mountain The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar"

I second this one. I almost nominated this one myself.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments Death on the Nile I think my love for Agatha Christie is showing

message 11: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9789 comments I'd like to nominate One Word Kill

message 12: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9789 comments Peggy wrote: "I nominate Deathless"

If that one wins I'll be very temped to buy the book, it sounds great.

message 13: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20011 comments Jayme wrote: "I'll nominate Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI [bookcover:Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI|294960..."

I second this one.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "I nominate Deathless"

I second Deathless as it's the book I was going to nominate myself :)

message 15: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (fiiicoooo) | 270 comments I second Death on the Nile :)

message 16: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Furr (lucyfurr) | 775 comments Silver wrote: "Dawn wrote: "I nominate Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass IncidentDead Mountain The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar"

I s..."

I'll 3rd this one.

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48853 comments Margo wrote: "I'd like to nominate One Word Kill"

I'll second One Word Kill.

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13611 comments I feel like this might be a bit of a daring nomination, but I'm planning to read Life Will Be the Death of Me: . . . and You Too! by Chelsea Handler for the theme, so I'll nominate that. :)

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Lots on non-fiction books this month!

message 20: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2196 comments Very interesting Sarah, and that is also the Feb theme for my RL book club lol

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13611 comments It is interesting that there are so many nonfiction nominations for this theme. I have a bunch of books on my TBR that fit. A few of them I thought about nominating, but they seemed like they might be a bit graphic. I almost nominated a cozy, but I wasn't really in the mood for it.

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9425 comments Sarah wrote: "Lots on non-fiction books this month!"

I guessed that mostly mysteries were going to be nominated, but I was wrong!

message 23: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2429 comments Cherie wrote: "Jayme wrote: "I'll nominate Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI [bookcover:Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI|..."

This one is great! I’ll second it too.

message 25: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15095 comments Sorry Saar, the words needs to be in the main title, not subtitle. Do you want to nominate something else?

Saar The Book owl | 1777 comments Oops, sorry, Peggy. Than I choose: The Colour of Bee Larkham’s Murder

message 27: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15095 comments Perfect :)

message 28: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2405 comments I second deathless! One of my favorite books that I was wanting to reread.

message 29: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2405 comments Margo wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I nominate Deathless"

If that one wins I'll be very temped to buy the book, it sounds great."

I loved this book! I got it from the library originally, but then bought it in hardcopy form - and this year I plan on buying it on audio

message 30: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9789 comments Wow Katrisa - that's true love 😅 I will definitely read it some it some time buy fingers crossed it won't win the poll - I can't buy another book! It's only January 😣

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9425 comments Margo wrote: "fingers crossed it won't win the poll - I can't buy another book! It's only January 😣"

Lol

message 32: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2405 comments Margo wrote: "Wow Katrisa - that's true love 😅 I will definitely read it some it some time buy fingers crossed it won't win the poll - I can't buy another book! It's only January 😣"

Lol!

message 33: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Furr (lucyfurr) | 775 comments "I loved this book! I got it from the library originally, but then bought it in hardcopy form - and this year I plan on buying it on audio"

Well, that sure is a shining recommendation!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.