Play Book Tag discussion

The Giver of Stars
This topic is about The Giver of Stars
January 2020: Thriller > [Poll] The Giver of Stars, by Jojo Moyes, 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 13, 2020 03:09AM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5241 comments The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes, 4.5 stars

This is an excellent piece of historical fiction, about the pack horse librarians who delivered books to people in the mountains of Kentucky during the 1930s. Think of it as Bookmobiles on horseback. There are two very popular books right now based on the historical WPA project, but the characters and stories are completely different otherwise. (The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek has blue skin, and the story includes a major plot element that this book doesn’t have.) This story is about a group of women from different backgrounds who take this job for different reasons. I grew to really care about these characters. (Though a few of the male characters were overly obnoxious.) The book has a lot of drama and heart. In addition to the library program, there are issues with the mines, a dangerous flood, a murder trial. There were a couple of interesting twists – one I figured out early, and the other was a funny (but unlikely) surprise. I really enjoyed this book, though some might prefer less drama, and more nuance. (It’s sort of like the later Outlander books – just one damned thing after another - but without the rapes.)

I also liked the book quotes in each chapter. One of the story lines is about a marriage (sex) book that was controversial at the time. When I heard an actual quote from the book, it was so vague it was funny. There were a couple small anachronisms and stereotypes that knocked me out of the experience, but overall it was very good.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments So glad you enjoyed this! I also really liked it. It didn’t make my best of 2019 list, but it was definitely up there on entertainment value.

message 3: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 13, 2020 03:14AM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5241 comments It really was entertaining. I'm really loving all the books that are coming out now about unexpected jobs held by women, and there achievements. There is so much of our history that we don't know.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments I could not agree more! I also am loving this current focus on women that we should have heard about long before now! lol

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7508 comments NancyJ wrote: "It really was entertaining. I'm really loving all the books that are coming out now about unexpected jobs held by women, and there achievements. There is so much of our history that we don't know."

Yes! There are so many on my TBR and like Nicole am loving it!

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8545 comments This is high on my list for this year. Plus it’s a couple of states.

message 7: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5241 comments Yes, it could work for at least 4 states. I almost forgot about horses.