Lit 102 Spring 2020 discussion

Reading & Writing about Literature

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
After writing response paper one, what did you enjoy discovering and how can you do better?

message 2: by Dillan (new)

Dillan | 17 comments After writing my response paper I enjoyed discovering how the novel that I chose deals with real world problems, and how the problems can be beneficial to the reader to learn from the character’s ways on how they chose to execute their issue. One thing that I wish to do better on is strengthening my word choice so that my future response papers will be pure.

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Grant | 11 comments After writing the first response paper, Instead of just reading the novel I was able to reflect on the book and comprehend on what the reading was about more. I also enjoyed discovering how the book could relate to problems that occur today. In the book "Not by Chance" , I enjoyed learning the background of both Andrew and Jasmine and how it molded there personalities. I would like to work on creating stronger sentences using a bigger vocabulary.

message 4: by Jaliyah (new)

Jaliyah Webster | 17 comments After writing response paper one I enjoyed connecting the novel to what’s happening in the world. Some real world problems can get over looked. In Perfect, Imperfect Christmas I discussed the grieving process and different ways to handle it. The grieving process only gets talked about if you lose somebody and some people think it goes away in a week or month. Everybody grieving process is different some can be grieving for years. So seeing how Angelica was grieving, but being around others made her feel love is very important in today’s society. I think I can be better at my word structure and how words play with each other. Also better at topic sentences to grab the reader’s attention more.

message 5: by Sontez (new)

Sontez Williams | 16 comments After writing response paper one I feel like it was a good excise to practice my writing skills. I do feel like I could have done better by using different words, and expanding my vocabulary. I liked the assignment because and enjoyed reading the book. I like how it really connected to the real world, and how I could relate to Angelica in the passing of her mother and the way she felt even after.

message 6: by Shaunae (new)

Shaunae | 20 comments After writing response paper one, I enjoyed gaining insight on the trauma of another person, whether it be fictional or non-fictional. Jasmine's trauma had reminded me of my own childhood trauma and the way that she deals with it as an adult is similar to how I have dealt with mine and have chosen to heal from mine through unconditional love over a period of time. It felt good to be able to relate to a character that I was reading about and also be extremely interested in the content of the book.

Reading this book and being able to see the character development in Jasmine shows me that I should allow myself to open up and be vulnerable sometimes, and that showing love, care, and affection are not signs of weakness, but signs that I have grown into a better person from my past experiences.

message 7: by Tyzell (new)

Tyzell Richardson | 12 comments After Writing The First Response Paper and having to pick put a scene in the book and provide a picture on it and talk about I realized that the novel contains real-world problems, and how the issues will help the reader to learn from the character's ways of implementing their problem. One thing I want to do better on is actually getting deep into the text and not just reading but understand what I'm reading so I can comprehend the book as a whole more better

message 8: by Tyson (last edited Jan 15, 2020 08:37AM) (new)

Tyson D. | 16 comments After doing the response paper, I discovered a new way to research topics and how they relate to the themes of a given work. The only difference is that I had to focus in on a specific topic pertaining to the real world in a genre that I'm not normally invested in.

Edit: What could I do better? I could improve on my sentence structures and making everything flow together in a more cohesive manner.

message 9: by Jamila (new)

Jamila | 16 comments After writing response paper one, I enjoyed discovering the novel Not By Chance was so comparable to real life. Many different problems as a child and adult that you could find yourself suffering from bases were touched. I can do better by applying what I have acquired from chapter 2 to my next response paper.

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber | 16 comments The conclusion of the first response paper helped me to appreciate character backstories and how they can help piece the story together. I strive to become more detailed and descriptive.

message 11: by Mckenzie (new)

Mckenzie Manigault | 11 comments After writing my response paper , I enjoyed discovering how I could relate to certain things from Jasmines point of view analyzing her as a character I noticed she had a protective shield when she first saw Drew and that reminded me much of myself when it came down to guys. One thing I could do differently with my paper would have to be getting my point across using different choice of words .

message 12: by J. (new)

Dillan wrote: "After writing my response paper I enjoyed discovering how the novel that I chose deals with real world problems, and how the problems can be beneficial to the reader to learn from the character’s w..."
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy you are seeing the story as can relate to life.

message 13: by J. (new)

Brittany wrote: "After writing the first response paper, Instead of just reading the novel I was able to reflect on the book and comprehend on what the reading was about more. I also enjoyed discovering how the boo..."
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy you are comprehending the story. I look forward to assisting you with making stronger sentences.

message 14: by J. (new)

Jaliyah wrote: "After writing response paper one I enjoyed connecting the novel to what’s happening in the world. Some real world problems can get over looked. In Perfect, Imperfect Christmas I discussed the griev..."
Thank you for your response, I am happy you appreciated the connections to grieving and being with family as a healing process. I think when we mourn sometimes we forget we should not isolate ourselves. I look forward to helping you practice with topic sentences and word structure.

message 15: by J. (new)

Sontez wrote: "After writing response paper one I feel like it was a good excise to practice my writing skills. I do feel like I could have done better by using different words, and expanding my vocabulary. I lik..."
Thank you for your reply. I hope to see you continue to practice with your writing and reading.

message 16: by J. (new)

Shaunae wrote: "After writing response paper one, I enjoyed gaining insight on the trauma of another person, whether it be fictional or non-fictional. Jasmine's trauma had reminded me of my own childhood trauma an..."
I like how you express the personal growth of the character helps you to view yourself. Thank you for your reply.

message 17: by J. (new)

Tyzell wrote: "After Writing The First Response Paper and having to pick put a scene in the book and provide a picture on it and talk about I realized that the novel contains real-world problems, and how the issu..."
I agree, I am with you about seeing you advance. Let's be sure to take time for tutoring. I want you to succeed. Thank you for your reply.

message 18: by J. (new)

Tyson wrote: "After doing the response paper, I didn't really find much else that I hadn't already been doing as a comic book reviewer. The only difference is that I had to focus in on a specific topic pertainin..."
I am not appreciative of this response. I would like to speak to you, in person.

message 19: by J. (new)

Jamila wrote: "After writing response paper one, I enjoyed discovering the novel Not By Chance was so comparable to real life. Many different problems as a child and adult that you could find yourself suffering f..."
Thank you for your response.

message 20: by J. (new)

Amber wrote: "The conclusion of the first response paper helped me to appreciate character backstories and how they can help piece the story together. I strive to become more detailed and descriptive."

Thank you for sharing your experience.

message 21: by J. (new)

Mckenzie wrote: "After writing my response paper , I enjoyed discovering how I could relate to certain things from Jasmines point of view analyzing her as a character I noticed she had a protective shield when she ..."
Thank you for your response. We get better practicing. :-)

message 22: by Braxton (new)

Braxton | 12 comments After writing the response paper I enjoyed I can put myself into these characters and have them come to life this happens on a day to day bases also I can do better in vocabulary and enhancing my reading

message 23: by J. (new)

Tyson wrote: "After doing the response paper, I discovered a new way to research topics and how they relate to the themes of a given work. The only difference is that I had to focus in on a specific topic pertai..."
Thank you for sharing your experience and what you look to do better.

message 24: by J. (new)

Braxton wrote: "After writing the response paper I enjoyed I can put myself into these characters and have them come to life this happens on a day to day bases also I can do better in vocabulary and enhancing my r..."
Thank you for sharing your experience. The one thing we must adjust to in life is doing what we don't like or don't do often. In order to achieve the goals we set in life, there will always be a road a person doesn't care for as much. The objective is to do your best in all things, not only what we like. :-)

message 25: by Carson (new)

Carson Simpson | 11 comments After writing response paper one I enjoyed discovering how the book entails real world problems that every day people have to deal with such as life as single parent and how more sacrifices have to be made as a single parent also I enjoyed discovering how the book portrayed how people deal with grief and how they have to continue life while juggling the pain of grief. I believe I could do better by further my reading of the book and exploring other social issues that may be in the book and by utilizing the reading process.

message 26: by Angel (new)

Angel Cabasag | 17 comments After response paper one, I felt very connected to the characters and their issues. I felt the connection that each one had to each other and understood them. I could do better by thinking my response through a bit more.

message 27: by Angel (new)

Angel Cabasag | 17 comments in response to Amber,
I like that you now have a goal for yourself

message 28: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Ferguson | 13 comments After writing my response paper, I feel positive about my work. Writing the essay helped me to express how I felt about what I've read thus far in the text. I know I can do better by further explaining my thoughts, grasping a better understanding of what I'm learning, which would allow me to tell, and also use different words rather than unnecessary repetition. My goal is to become more firm with my words and become better with my writing!

message 29: by J. (new)

Braxton wrote: "After writing the response paper I enjoyed I can put myself into these characters and have them come to life this happens on a day to day bases also I can do better in vocabulary and enhancing my r..."

I am proud to see your engagement and eagerness to read as well as write. We only get better with anything we do by practicing. You are progressing!

message 30: by J. (new)

Carson wrote: "After writing response paper one I enjoyed discovering how the book entails real world problems that every day people have to deal with such as life as single parent and how more sacrifices have to..."
I look forward to hearing more from you as you get into the social problems within the story. I anticipate reading this response paper of yours likewise.

message 31: by J. (new)

Angel wrote: "After response paper one, I felt very connected to the characters and their issues. I felt the connection that each one had to each other and understood them. I could do better by thinking my respo..."

Angel I am happy you are getting to know and connect with the characters. I think as we continue to learn in the literature book you will gain more insight as to how to enhance your responses. 👍

message 32: by Anwar (new)

Anwar | 7 comments After completing my response paper I realized that I had a connection to characters Drew and Jasmine. They both went through childhood trauma and neglect. I got an insight into how DAMAGING child abuse can actually be. This is because although both characters are young adults, they carry themselves the way they do because of their pass. However, I did enjoy discovering the growth in Drew's and Jasmine's love life and sex life. One thing I wish I did better was elaborate more on both character's personalities.

message 33: by Jendayi (new)

Jendayi Perez (jendayiperez) | 6 comments I enjoyed being a part of the story i was reading after doing my. I felt like I was a character in the story. When that happened, I found excitement in myself though there were some sad moments. Nevertheless, one thing i know i can do better in is being more detailed with my writing.

message 34: by J. (new)

Anwar wrote: "After completing my response paper I realized that I had a connection to characters Drew and Jasmine. They both went through childhood trauma and neglect. I got an insight into how DAMAGING child a..."

Thank you for sharing. I'd like to suggest engaging in more discussions and taking notes so you can practice writing more about the personalities of the characters. There is always tutoring.

message 35: by J. (new)

Jendayi wrote: "I enjoyed being a part of the story i was reading after doing my. I felt like I was a character in the story. When that happened, I found excitement in myself though there were some sad moments. Ne..."

Thank you for sharing, be sure to come to tutoring. Remember to utilize spell check.