Lit 102 Spring 2020 discussion

Taking Chances
This topic is about Taking Chances
Taking Chances Chapters 1-3

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
What is your reaction to Drew now, in comparison to how it was in the first chapter of Not by Chance? Do you preceive Jasmine the same now, if so how? Support why you have such view of each character?

message 2: by Tyson (new)

Tyson D. | 16 comments I like him so much more. There's something attractive (in a writing sense, mostly) about slavish devotion to a woman when you're staying by her beside as she's fighting to get out of a coma. He cares about her much more than he ever has with any other woman (Bliss, 2017, Not by Chance, pg 1) and (Bliss, 2018, Taking Chances, chp 1) I like how hes grown and shows how one special woman has changed him as a person for the better.

Jasmine doesn't experience much change in my eyes other than an increased distaste for her body after the "incident" (Bliss, 2018, eBook loc. 361-369). She's a bit more compelling because of her apprehension to being seen in a gown, suggesting some boy image issues after being in the hospital for weeks, so that garners a little bit of interest Bliss, 2018, eBook loc. 347).

message 3: by J. (new) - added it

Tyson wrote: "I like him so much more. There's something attractive (in a writing sense, mostly) about slavish devotion to a woman when you're staying by her beside as she's fighting to get out of a coma. He car..."
Thank you for your observation.

message 4: by Shaunae (new)

Shaunae | 20 comments Drew's character development in chapters 1-3 of 'Taking Chances' was dramatic compared to the emotional disconnect he has in chapter 1 of 'Not By Chance'. He has a very deep emotional and touching connection with Jasmine, seen in the midst of the unfortunate circumstances that took place. An example is seen in the hospital, when Drew sat at the bedside of Jasmine. "Baby...Jasmine, it's Drew. I'm so. sorry...I will not leave you"(Bliss, 2018, p. 4) He is now affected by everything that happens to her and is willing to go to the extra mile to protect the woman the he loves. Even pulling a gun on the man who committed the heinous offence against Jasmine (Bliss, 2018, p. 13-14). His demeanour no longer displays arrogance, entitlement, pride, or a big ego, but more of his humbled, loving, and protective/concerned side is shown in 'Taking Chances'.

There is not much change noticed in Jasmine in the first 3 chapters of 'Taking Chances' due to the circumstances, besides the way she feels about her self image after the incident. Jasmine does not even want Drew to see her in that state, although he has not left her side but twice during the entire ordeal. Jasmine tells Nurse Ginger, "I don't want him to see me. You know...not like this"(Bliss, 2018, p. 21). She feels as though all the bandages, scars, hospital gown, and the hospital setting does not make her look beautiful anymore; Drew feels otherwise (Bliss, 2018, p. 22-23).

message 5: by Shaunae (new)

Shaunae | 20 comments J. wrote: "What is your reaction to Drew now, in comparison to how it was in the first chapter of Not by Chance? Do you preceive Jasmine the same now, if so how? Support why you have such view of each character?"

Tyson, it is always so intriguing to read and understand your perspective on these novels. How you verbalise your analysis of a work is never a bore. I like how you were able to find somewhat of a "common ground" with the character, Drew. I agree with the fact that his new demeanour makes him so much more attractive than he was in 'Not By Chance'. His fully developed emotions for Jasmine does show how he has grown and matured into a better person. I guess it's true when they say "p*ssy is power".

message 6: by J. (new) - added it

Shaunae wrote: "Drew's character development in chapters 1-3 of 'Taking Chances' was dramatic compared to the emotional disconnect he has in chapter 1 of 'Not By Chance'. He has a very deep emotional and touching ..."
Nice observation of the change with the characters. Drew changing to such manner is vital. The words you use to capture his change are great word choice to describe such change. With the change with Jasmine you convey I would have to say it's a nice observation. Her being so guarded about her image around Drew is different for her. It speaks of her shame, it speaks of her wanting to hide while the nurse is the character created to emphasize she is with a person that sees her beauty more than skin deep. It's as if she's going back and forth in her mind, could I deserve such type of treatment. This is an experience for her that is new. Thank you for sharing your experience.