Lit 102 Spring 2020 discussion

Perfect, Imperfect Christmas: A Single Father Romance II (Holiday Romance Book 2)
This topic is about Perfect, Imperfect Christmas
Perfect, Imperfect Christmas Chapters 1-3

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (last edited Jan 12, 2020 07:39PM) (new)

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
What is your impression of Angelica and Nicholas? Support why you have such view of each character? In addition, what do you think of Angelica's reaction to her siblings and Nicholas reaction to his sister.

message 2: by Dillan (last edited Jan 13, 2020 01:23PM) (new)

Dillan | 17 comments Throughout chapters 1-3 I gather the impression that the character Angelica in the first chapter as disenchanted. The author illustrates, “ Today marks another day I wake to an empty, detached from time feeling that I’ve had since the death of my mom. I’m expecting it will pass. I’m not keen on holidays especially after I found out my ex fiancé had a Christmas wedding day”( Bliss, 2019,p.1). To me this says that Angelica is a woman that is trying to find her way out of a dark tunnel, but she is somehow distracted by the past that will not let her continue her journey. On the other hand, I come to conclusion of Nicholas, in the second chapter of the novel being a robust man. Through the tragedy that he suffered he still finds a way to hold his head up high. I find my reasons detailed because in the novel it states, “ Ms. Elizabeth, was a beautiful human being. She was the parent I didn’t have when Chrissy was here, and she helped keep me on my feet when Chrissy passed in a deadly car accident”(Bliss, 2019,p.7). Evaluating these words made me gain the impression of stability towards Nicholas. Likewise, I think that Angelica's reaction to seeing her siblings are priceless. I can tell that they share a strong bond with each other due to the fact that their mother passed away,it brought them closer. I find this accurate because in the novel it’s states that, “ She lets out a heavy sigh. They don’t miss a meal but miss their grandma. Trying not to see me off so I burst out in tears is the norm around here. Gelica, I am better but most times I feel shattered inside. I miss you so much”( Bliss, 2019, p.4). My perception to Nicholas’s reaction to his sister is that the two of them might have some type of feud within there sister to brother relationship. My analysis for my opinion is because in the novel it states that, “ Are your siblings going to me you? The mention of his sister is a sensitive topic for him”( Bliss, 2019,p.7), makes me think that they do not get along.

message 3: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Ferguson | 13 comments In my opinion, I feel that Angelica is a very emotional being, due to the fact that she is dealing with a lot. On the other hand Nicholas is a humble father.

Angelica, I expressed her as a very emotional being because she said " today marks another day i wake to an empty detached from time feeling that i've had since the death of my mom" within that statement you can feel her pain. losing her mom was obviously a breaking point for her. her mom may have been her heart and soul, so understanding that she'll never be able to visually see her mother agains breaks her heart, especially due to the fact it is the holidays.

Nicholas, I expressed him as a humble father based off of everything he has done within these chapters. in chapter 2 it is definitely seen that Nic is a father. not just a father but a single father. Nicholas not only lost Momma liz, but he also lost his beloved wife Chrissy. in spite of all the pain he could be feeling, he remains humble for his son paul. you know he's a father because the texts says "My son, Paul."

Angelica's and Nic's reactions to their sibling(s) were similar. when Deja called Angelica she was "busy" and interrupted her encounter with Mr. Herod. Nic on the other hand seemed as if his authority was being challenged because he instructed his son paul to ride the bus, but his brother left the car running to take paul to school.

message 4: by Tyzell (last edited Jan 23, 2020 02:33PM) (new)

Tyzell Richardson | 12 comments I gather the impression throughout chapters 1-3 that the characters Angelica & Nic are:

Angelica: She starts the book emotionally talking about how she does not wake up to her mom's presence day by day. “Today marks another day I wake to an empty, detached from time feeling that I’ve had since the death of my mom” (Bliss, 2019, pg 1). You can see how that passing is taking a toll on her cause she continues on with more negative experiences “I’m not keen on holidays especially after I found out my ex-fiance had a Christmas wedding day” (Bliss, 2019, pg 1). I get the impression that she's been through a lot with the passing of her mom and then with the finding out her ex got married on Christmas puts her in a dark hole that's she trying to get out of in other words is letting her pass distract her from the present and the future.

Nic: Comes in the picture in Chpt 2 being introduced as a father to Paul. Nicholas lost his mom, Ms. Elizabeth who was a well talked about woman, “ Ms. Elizabeth, was a beautiful human being. She was the parent I didn’t have when Chrissy was here, and she helped keep me on my feet when Chrissy passed in a deadly car accident”(Bliss, 2019,p.7), and he also lost his wife Chrissy. Nic doesn’t allow his loss to keep him from being a great father he remains humble and grateful for his son Paul, given all the pain he may feel. He is a father who takes care of himself and makes sure his son Pauls is good. My impression on Nic is while he is also grieving he also knows he has responsibilities to take care of and he's gonna do just that.

Angelica's and Nic's reactions to their sibling(s) were the same. Angelica and her sister share a strong bond with each other due to the fact that their mother passed away, it brought them closer. For Nic, both of them may have some form of sister-to-brother relationship rivalry in them. He seemed to think that they are questioning his authority because he had told his son paul to ride the bus, but his brother left the car running to take paul to school.

message 5: by Dillan (new)

Dillan | 17 comments Adrian wrote: "In my opinion, I feel that Angelica is a very emotional being, due to the fact that she is dealing with a lot. On the other hand Nicholas is a humble father.

Angelica, I expressed her as a very em..."

I too agree with your opinion about how emotional Angelica gets during the holidays due to the passing of her mother. Nice observation.

message 6: by Jaliyah (new) - added it

Jaliyah Webster | 17 comments In the beginning of the novel Angelica is a sensitive person. I think she is sensitive because the novel starts off with Angelica saying “ Today marks another day I wake to an empty, detached from time feeling that I’ve had since the death of my mom” (Bliss, 2019, p. 1). She is real sensitive right now because it’s the holidays and her mom is not here to celebrate it with her.
Nicholas is an attentive father. Nicholas said “For what? He is riding the bus.” (Bliss, 2019, p. 5).Nicholas is very involved in his son Paul’s life. He makes sure he is going to school, eating and making sure he’s okay.
At first it didn’t seem like Angelica wanted to be bothered with her sister, but she know it’s a hard time and she loves her sister. “Gelica, I am better but most times I feel shattered inside. I miss you so much”(Bliss, 2019, p. 4). They are there for each other no matter what. Nicholas and his sister don’t seem to have a close bond with each other like Angelica and her sister’s bond. Bliss states “The mention of his sisters is a sensitive topic for him”(Bliss, 2019, p. 7). Nicholas doesn’t like to talk about him and his sister relationship.

message 7: by Jaliyah (new) - added it

Jaliyah Webster | 17 comments Tyzell, I agree Angelica is emotional in the beginning, because of her mother’s death. I think Angelica and Nicholas relationship with their siblings are different. Angelica and her sister bond seem to be strong, and they are there for each other. While Nicholas and his sister seem to have tension in their relationship. He didn’t even want to mention his sister in the conversation he was having with Rashad.

message 8: by Sontez (new)

Sontez Williams | 16 comments In Perfect, Imperfect Christmas by J.Bliss my first impression about Angelica one of the main chaacters is that she is an emotional reck. The reason I say that she is emotional because Angelica made a statement saying she woke up feelings detached and empty from the time feeling that she have since the passing of her mom. Another reason I say she is emotional because Angelica found out her ex fiancé had a Christmas marriage with another one. Nic first impression is that he is a strick, good father. The reason I say Nic is a strick father is because Nic son Paul God father came to pick him up for school, but Nic said Yes he is ready, I need to make sure he is on point making sure that Paul is getting on the bus and getting to school on time. The reason I say he is a good father because he greet Paul when he wakes up, make sure Paul eat breakfast, and he also make sure Paul have everything he need for school and make sure he is in time for the bus. Both Angelica and Nic feel the same about there siblings. While Angelica was rudely interrupted by her sister with Harold her sister really knew what was going on. With the passing of Angelica and Dejia mom passing it brought them closer to left eachother up and come closer. Nic is strong on education with Paul so they think he is bossy or hold some authority because he make sure Paul is getting on the bus and got all of his work for school, but that is a job of a parent. He wouldn’t let Rashad which is Paul God-father take Paul to school.

message 9: by Sontez (new)

Sontez Williams | 16 comments Tyzell wrote: "I gather the impression throughout chapters 1-3 that the characters Angelica & Nic are:

Angelica: She starts the book emotionally talking about how she does not wake up to her mom's presence day ..."

Sontez- Tyzell I agree with your responds in hoe Angelica felt in the beginning of the book. Yes she was very emotional from the passing of her mother. Nic loved his wife dearly and he appreciate her for the way she treated him and kept him on top of things. Ms. Elizabeth was a mother to Paul that Nic never had. On the other hand Nic and Rashad wasn't brothers they were friends Rashad is Paul God-father.

message 10: by J. (new)

Dillan wrote: "Throughout chapters 1-3 I gather the impression that the character Angelica in the first chapter as disenchanted. The author illustrates, “ Today marks another day I wake to an empty, detached from..."
I can certainly, see the aspect of you incorporating quotes to support your points. It is nice to see you utilizing those skills set taught in class. You are making good strides comprehending the text and showcasing application with what you've learned. 🙂

message 11: by J. (new)

Adrian wrote: "In my opinion, I feel that Angelica is a very emotional being, due to the fact that she is dealing with a lot. On the other hand Nicholas is a humble father.

Angelica, I expressed her as a very em..."

Adrian, you sharing your understanding of what you are reading is well observed. I'd like to suggest for you to be mindful of grammar within your post. 🙃 There are many grammar errors. Also, I would like to speak to you about incorporating your quotes, to make certain you grasp that concept. Moving forward, your observation in regards to Angelica being close to her mother is refreshing. I especially, like the comment you made further about Nic's reaction to the death of Momma Liz and his wife (I don't think people recognize he is burden, yet maintaining a sense of discipline as he mourns two people). The fact that he is holding it together when it seems as if all odds are against him speak to his character and bravery to champion remaining humble as he raises his child. Good interpreting of the literature.

message 12: by J. (new)

Tyzell wrote: "I gather the impression throughout chapters 1-3 that the characters Angelica & Nic are:

Angelica: She starts the book emotionally talking about how she does not wake up to her mom's presence day ..."

This response is not sufficient, it lacks showcasing the instructions as well as the application of the skill sets we have discussed in class. I don't hear the readers experience, yet hear a passive readers response as if giving a report from information told to you rather than how you experience it. I would suggest reading the material, to experience the text as directed.🤔

message 13: by Carson (new)

Carson Simpson | 11 comments Throughout Chapters 1 – 3 my impression of Angelica is that she is a person who is going through moments of grief which makes her very emotional. Also, my perception of Angelica is that she is trying to maintain a professional attitude at work but easily falls to the feet of temptation to satisfy her libido. Nicholas on the other hand is a caring and compassionate father and is also battling the emotions of grief
My reason for saying Angelic is an emotion person is because it is highlighted throughout the novel, as early as the first page it can be seen where she is dealing with the effects of loosing her mother “ today marks another day I wake up to an empty, detached from time feeling that I’ve had since the death of my mom. (Bliss, 2019, p. 91 - 92) and this statement really epitomizes how the loss of her mother takes a toll on her.
Nicholas is a good father in the novel by Bliss this can be seen generally throughout the book Where Nicholas ensures that his son is ready for school in the mornings and on time for the bus. I think Angelicas reaction to her siblings is a good one as she has a close bond with her sister Deja who serves as a confidant to Angelica. This can be seen as Deja was the only person who knew about Angelica’s intimate relationship with Herod, “Deja is the sole family member that knows about us. (Bliss, 2019, p. 4).Angelica’s reaction to her brother was that she was pleased to see him as can be seen where she saw him at the Christmas tree farm and greeted him with enthusiasm “ Rashad!”! “I smile taking him in and notice how much he looks like both of our parents. “ (Bliss, 2019, p. 17-18). Nicholas’s reaction to his sisters is that it’s a sensitive topic for him “the mention of his sisters is a sensitive topic for him” (Bliss, 2019, p.12).

message 14: by Carson (new)

Carson Simpson | 11 comments In the book “Perfect, Imperfect Christmas by Author J.Bliss” Throughout Chapters 1 – 3 my impression of Angelica is that she is a person who is going through moments of grief which makes her very emotional. Also, my perception of Angelica is that she is trying to maintain a professional attitude at work but easily falls to the feet of temptation to satisfy her libido. Nicholas on the other hand is a caring and compassionate father and is also battling the emotions of grief
My reason for saying Angelic is an emotion person is because it is highlighted throughout the novel, as early as the first page it can be seen where she is dealing with the effects of loosing her mother “ today marks another day I wake up to an empty, detached from time feeling that I’ve had since the death of my mom. (Bliss, 2019, p. 91 - 92) and this statement really epitomizes how the loss of her mother takes a toll on her.
Nicholas is a good father in the novel by Bliss this can be seen generally throughout the book Where Nicholas ensures that his son is ready for school in the mornings and on time for the bus. I think Angelicas reaction to her siblings is a good one as she has a close bond with her sister Deja who serves as a confidant to Angelica. This can be seen as Deja was the only person who knew about Angelica’s intimate relationship with Herod, “Deja is the sole family member that knows about us. (Bliss, 2019, p. 4).Angelica’s reaction to her brother was that she was pleased to see him as can be seen where she saw him at the Christmas tree farm and greeted him with enthusiasm “ Rashad!”! “I smile taking him in and notice how much he looks like both of our parents. “ (Bliss, 2019, p. 17-18). Nicholas’s reaction to his sisters is that it’s a sensitive topic for him “the mention of his sisters is a sensitive topic for him” (Bliss, 2019, p.12).

message 15: by J. (new)

Carson wrote: "In the book “Perfect, Imperfect Christmas by Author J.Bliss” Throughout Chapters 1 – 3 my impression of Angelica is that she is a person who is going through moments of grief which makes her very e..."

Carson, you are showing you understand what you have read, while displaying you have not read further. Please remember to do spell check and make time to read the content. I look forward to seeing you express more about what you have read not the same details.

message 16: by J. (new)

Sontez wrote: "In Perfect, Imperfect Christmas by J.Bliss my first impression about Angelica one of the main chaacters is that she is an emotional reck. The reason I say that she is emotional because Angelica mad..."
Thank you for your observation. Write your response from the desktop and remember to check spelling.