Lit 102 Spring 2020 discussion

Not By Chance
This topic is about Not By Chance
14 views
Not by Chance Chapters 1-3

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (last edited Jan 12, 2020 07:43PM) (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Discuss your reaction of Drew and Jasmine. Support why you have such view of each character? In addition, what do you think of their friend Romel (Drew) and Victoria (Jasmine).


message 2: by Mckenzie (last edited Jan 13, 2020 07:34PM) (new)

Mckenzie Manigault | 11 comments Drew : (Cocky , Conceited ) I feel like drew is overly confident in his self especially when it comes down to females for example in the book he says "I look good. The ladies can't resist" p.1)
Jasmine: (Cautious) I feel like Jasmine is cautious she wears this shield because her boyfriend cheated on her she is more so aware now for example "Now that I am free of my cheating ass boyfriend,"p.14)
Victoria: (Wild and Freaky) I feel like Victoria is wild and also freaky I feel this way because Jasmine walked in on her and Romel
for example "I scroll into my apartment and Victoria is dressed in a cat suit purring like a kitten with a whip in her hand (p.6)
Romel: ("horn dog", Respectful) I feel like Romel is this way because he's a typical boy especially at they age there are now just always wants to have sex I also feel like he's respectful I feel this way because in the book even though him and Victoria was about to do a little role play he tried to play it off for example "Romel runs to the bathroom. Victoria throws the whip" (p.7)


message 3: by Tyson (new)

Tyson D. | 16 comments In relation to Drew: I'm not a fan of this initial characterization because he comes off as cocky, sexist and misogynist (Bliss, 2017, Not by Chance pg. 1). In general, these are things that turn me off of characters because they're annoying character traits. Even with his added explanation of his personal issues with his father's infidelity, I scratch my head and wonder why he didn't just want to be a better person in spite of the horrible example set (Bliss, 2017, pg 7).

In relation to Romel: He certainly exists. I don't have any particularly strong opinions about him because I see him as a blank canvas that exists to be the emotional opposite to Drew (Bliss, 2017, pgs 2-3). He loves being in a relationship and he's definitely Drew's bro, but doesn't really catch my eye.

In relation to Jasmine: Talk about a hard life. Jasmine probably has one of the more tragic backstories that I've read in a wee bit outside of comic books (Bliss, 2017, eBook loc. 178 - 228). Outside of her tragedy, there's just not much there in terms of a character for me. She's almost a blank canvas with a big corner of blackness and splashes of color like an abstract piece representing both her lust and calming demeanor for Drew (Bliss, 2017, eBook loc. 442)

In relation to Victoria: My first thought shifts to Sofia Vergara from Modern Family (Bliss, 2017, eBook loc. 131 -141). The "am I not orgasmic" line fits perfectly with some of her characterization from that show, so I like her to an extent, but that is the only reason.


message 4: by Jamila (new)

Jamila | 16 comments Andrew
Player Mentality
“This big dick is what landed me in trouble two weeks ago with Ameila Sasso.”
“I’m not interested in getting to know anyone right now or babysit Victoria’s friend.”

Romel
Faithful
“Why Romel is sold on affection is beyond me.”
“Rom, everyone doesn’t lust for a wife”

Victoria
Multi Cultural
“You know Victoria will turn one hundred percent Puerto Rican on you if she gets any disposition of you with a side chick.”
“I promise you if i’d never met her dad i would be clueless to the fact that she is bi-racial.”

Jasmine
Studious
“I do not feel like doing anything considering I am not trying to fail my final exam for my Principal’s of Business class.”
“Jasmine, you always studying, plus you need to go somewhere else besides the lake and class.”

Bliss, J. (2018) Not By Chance ( Chance series Book 1) kindle edition. Atlanta, Ga: J Bliss Publishing.


message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber | 16 comments My first impression of Drew is that he exudes a conceded and cocky persona. (J Bliss 2017, p.1 ) "She must be into women because what female can dismiss me?" That seems very narcissistic to me.

Jasmine seems to be a headstrong woman that sets out to achieve the goals she sets her mind to. The text "...I have worked towards this plan since I became a teen and now my final term of Spelman College is in front of me." (J Bliss 2017, p.10 )

I believe that Drew's friend Romel helps to ground him and give his life perspective. Jasmine's friend Victoria certainly has a wild side but she see seems to be a good counter part for Jasmine. Romel and Vic together make a cute couple even if they are freaky sometimes.


message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber | 16 comments Mckenzie wrote: "Drew : (Cocky , Conceited ) I feel like drew is overly confident in his self especially when it comes down to females for example in the book he says "I look good. The ladies can't resist" p.1)
Jas..."

I can agree totally with you. Drew can definitely be over confident when it comes to the ladies.


message 7: by Mckenzie (new)

Mckenzie Manigault | 11 comments In response to amber , I agree on what you said about Jasmine she is a very "headstrong" young lady . Not only when it comes down to school but to her self as well .


message 8: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Grant | 11 comments My impression of Drew was that he was narcissistic. The author reveals many occasions of how drew is narcissistic such as stated in the following quote, "Besides why should I deny all those that haven't had to encounter this face." ( J Bliss 2017, pg 3)

My impression of Jasmine was that she comes across as iron-willed. She's very head strong and knows what she wants in life and set goals for herself. The author uses the character Jasmine to show how she is iron-willed such as stated. " I do not feel like doing anything considering I am not trying to fail my final exam for my Principals of Business class." ( J Bliss 2017, pg 8)

Romel is a great friend for Andrew. He gives Drew advice from a different perspective and encourages him about making careful decisions to help him. Not only does he allow Andrew to vent to him, He tells him what he needs to hear. When it comes to Jasmine's friend Victoria, she can be a bit of a freak. However, her and Jasmine's personality together create a healthy friendship


message 9: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Grant | 11 comments I agree with McKenzie's response. The character Jasmine does appear to have a shield or guard up to protect herself of letting what happened in the past occur again.


message 10: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Mckenzie wrote: "Drew : (Cocky , Conceited ) I feel like drew is overly confident in his self especially when it comes down to females for example in the book he says "I look good. The ladies can't resist" p.1)
Jas..."

I enjoyed the details of the characters you shared. Nice ☺interpretation of the literature. You give a clear sense you are learning the characters very nicely. Moreover, I want to suggest practicing more with incorporating quotes, remember the quote is your proof that you read and support towards whatever topic you are stressing within the statement. Also, be mindful of grammar and spelling within your post.😊


message 11: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Tyson wrote: "In relation to Drew: I'm not a fan of this initial characterization because he comes off as cocky, sexist and misogynist (Bliss, 2017, Not by Chance pg. 1). In general, these are things that turn m..."
I like that you question why the character Drew didn't strive a positive route, that line of question is sufficient. Nice active reading. 😊 He is an educated guy but decides an immature response yet such response is a reinforcement to him not healing from his childhood issues with his parents marital problems. Furthermore your comment towards Romel is hilarious.🤣🤣 He does exist.

I appreciate you spilling over giving details about the sincere side of your view with Jasmine. While, I think it's nice to be genuine about your reaction with the male characters, it's nice to be able to capture you have a different response with Jasmine. Thanks for sharing that. The aspect of you saying she's a blank canvas is meaningful, simply because she is still trying to figure herself out and fighting to not go down the wrong path. The character Jasmine has a right within her own to be blank because sometimes the things we encounter in life does make us feel blank. I can go on and and on about this. I appreciate you pointing this aspect out. To carry on, these are all young characters trying to complete one level to get to the next. Nice details. Moving forward, I laughed about your impression of Victoria, that is funny and I am happy her spontaneity is likable to you. I like Sofia Vergara from Modern Family and take that as a compliment that you think of her. 😊 I would like to suggest as you continue in the course to be mindful to be open and not close minded because this is not a comic book writing style. Doing things we don't like to go is a part of life to accomplish goals we seek. Overall, keep reading and sharing, your skills set display you grasp the lesson and that is a good trait to see. 😊


message 12: by Braxton (new)

Braxton | 12 comments I think that Drew is ladies man and cocky. J.bliss the author states in chapter one the first paragraph She must be into women because what female can dismiss me” (P.1). Jasmine is a nice girl but she’s a closet freak to me , and wants attention , bliss states... “This man is a master piece , What can can I do to capture his attention” (P.15) Victoria is A Horny young women as we can see it says “Victoria is dressed in a cat suit purring like a kitten with a whip in her hand”(P.6) Lastly romel I think is Honest guy for his childhood friend drew he’s always there without judging him we see that when Bliss writes “Romeo has always been the only person I was open to talk to without judgment” (P.5).


message 13: by Jamila (new)

Jamila | 16 comments Replying to Amber:

Well written, great word choice as well. I completely coincide with the assessment you’ve given the main characters.


Shaunae | 20 comments My reaction of Drew in chapters 1-3:
Drew is self-centered and very detached from romantic feelings. “I’m climbing the charts and the last thing I need is a Nagging nancy… if I’ve learned anything from my parents, emotions are dead”(Bliss, 2017, p. 3).
His relationship with his parents is not great. “What’s to understand when it’s obvious? I was never the child they wanted. I’m their crutch. That’s why I say “f*ck them’(Bliss, 2017, p. 6).
Drew’s confidence and cockiness is displayed extensively throughout chapters 1-3. For example, when he tells Jasmine, “It’s okay you don’t have to compliment me, baby, I am aware of my sexiness and from the looks of your eyes, you know too” (Bliss, 2017, p. 20).


My reaction of Romel in chapters 1-3:
Romel is a down to earth and a very good friend to Drew. For example, when Romel was talking sense into Drew by saying, “Bruh, I think you are feeling yourself a bit too much. If you quit searching for a** that looks like a mansion was built in it, you would possibly meet someone”(Bliss, 2017, p. 1-2).
He seems to be very woke/educated. “Dating outside your race is not a big deal. You just didn’t fall for her type; Italian is not your preference”(Bliss, 2017, p. 2).
I think it’s also important to point out how honest Romel is and he proves time and time again that he is not a “yes man” to Drew. “...watching and tracking down women with fat a**es is not my style. It’s just a distraction from the real issue between you and your ol’ man”(Bliss, 2017, p. 2).

My reaction of Jasmine in chapters 1-3:
One of my first impressions of Jasmine was that she was very educated and goal oriented. Her best friend Victoria helps to paint this picture when she says to Jasmine, “Jasmine, you are always studying, plus you need to go somewhere else besides the lake and class”(Bliss, 2017, p. 8).
Jasmine is very cautious and guarded about what she says and how she acts around Drew. She is determined not to let Drew know how vulnerable she is around him. “My eyes roll to the top of my head, this man seems to mesmerize me just by existing. Yet, I have to act as if he doesn’t hold so much power over me, at least for the moment”(Bliss, 2017, p. 20).

My reaction of Victoria in chapters 1-3:
Victoria is VERY freaky and sexually adventurous. “...Victoria is dressed in a catsuit purring like a kitten with a whip in her hand. On the table lays Romel in a leather thong”(Bliss, 2017, p. 6).
She is the type of girl that does not take “no” for an answer and she is an amazing and supportive friend to Jasmine.


Shaunae | 20 comments J. wrote: "Tyson wrote: "In relation to Drew: I'm not a fan of this initial characterization because he comes off as cocky, sexist and misogynist (Bliss, 2017, Not by Chance pg. 1). In general, these are thin..."

Braxton, I agree with your point about Romel. Not much people expanded on the fact that he was such an honest and good friend to Andrew. I also like how you made note of how he was not judgemental. Romel was always willing to talk things out with Drew and give him his unbiased and conscientious perspective. I'm happy that you noticed as well.


message 16: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel Cabasag | 17 comments When I think of Drew, I think of someone who belongs in the circle of hell for lust. As he is described, he seems atractive. He knows he is too. He states that "the lady's can't get enough" of him in J Bliss'novel, Not By Chance on the first page.
When I think of Jasmine, I think of a very high wall set up from past traumas that when met by Drew, begins to crumble almost immediately, as we see in their first kiss scene in chapter two.
Victoria reminds me of a roaring fire and she makes me think of the color orange. She's still a bit intense, but she cares for Jasmine. We see this profoundly in chapter two when she is trying to convince Jasmine to dinner.
Romel is defiantly a background character and if I had to guess he would prefer it that way. We see this come to light in chapter three at the dinner, but was hinted at in chap per one.


message 17: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel Cabasag | 17 comments in response to Jamila
I enjoy that you find quotes from the passages and use that rather than going with the flow of everyone else and writing almost an essay


message 18: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Jamila wrote: "Andrew
Player Mentality
“This big dick is what landed me in trouble two weeks ago with Ameila Sasso.”
“I’m not interested in getting to know anyone right now or babysit Victoria’s friend.”

Romel
F..."


I like that you are brainstorming about the characters, seeing the details yo gather about all the characters is nice. Nonetheless, I would like to suggest this formation be held off for your notes. As I look at the DP, I would like to see the words flow instead of resemble a list.👍 Looking at the characters, there are many things that you learn. I can certainly see how mapping their traits out helps. I actually wanted to create a chart in class as we learn about these characters but I thought you all might think it's elementary. However, I like the citation and want to encourage you to keep reading and leave the list aside from the DP. 🙂


message 19: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Amber wrote: "My first impression of Drew is that he exudes a conceded and cocky persona. (J Bliss 2017, p.1 ) "She must be into women because what female can dismiss me?" That seems very narcissistic to me.

J..."

Amber I really like how you are grasping to display your statement prior to inserting the quote. This is an excellent demonstration of you understanding how to segue the quotes with your comments.🙂 You mentioned in class about Drew's narcissistic trait. I can understand such impression, I wonder if you also take in consideration his line of work. I am not justifying but it has made me ponder, if you consider it. On the other-hand, he is a newbie at this love or tunnel affection towards one female.

Moreover, you are making your points and sharing what you perceive about Drew but you did not give me details about your reaction to Jasmine. While, I see what you observe, you didn't showcase how you experience her. How does her being headstrong make you react? 🤔

Furthermore, Amber, you make an excellent point about Romel. I was expecting to read it earlier, but I am thrilled you noticed. He is the stability, accountable type of friend to Drew. He tells Drew the truth and also is a honest guy to himself, not ashamed of the idea of being a man, being expressive.

Again, I am happy you observed the connection Victoria has to Jasmine. I absolutely agree with you about Romel and Vic being a cute couple. They are fun to create! The story I wrote about them displays how they got together but in this story you get an idea of how they resemble a good relationship or a healthy relationship with a person you can be yourself with, without regrets. 🥁Nice observation and application of your quotes!👏


message 20: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Braxton wrote: "I think that Drew is ladies man and cocky. J.bliss the author states in chapter one the first paragraph She must be into women because what female can dismiss me” (P.1). Jasmine is a nice girl but ..."
I am certainly seeing improvement with your practicing how to incorporate the quotes. 👏 Yet, remember to have transitions to prepare me for the next statement/point you are going to introduce me to.
Moreover, as you addressed your view about Victoria, you switched from personal, including 'we can see,' on this type of discussion post it is alright to be selfish and tell me about what you think. I am not wanting you to include we only your observation. I noticed by you doing that it broke you from telling me your experience of what you thought about meeting Victoria in such manner.
However, your save is pointing out the attributes regarding Romel. It is most refreshing to observe you taking in how Romel is a honest guy and good childhood friend to Drew without judgement. Moving forward, check the capitalization of names and spell them correctly. Remember, to re-read your remark and watch for grammar and all spelling concerns. You are progressing!👏


message 21: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Brittany wrote: "My impression of Drew was that he was narcissistic. The author reveals many occasions of how drew is narcissistic such as stated in the following quote, "Besides why should I deny all those that ha..."
I am proud of this progress, I am seeing! 👏 You make interesting points that make me laugh, creating a sense of you getting to know these characters. One aspect that you mention is the bond and honesty between the main characters best friends. It was nice to see you experienced them as healthy for one another. I do have a question, when you stated Drew is a narcissist in many ways you gave me the impression you were about to list multiple ways but only mentioned one. Be sure to watch out for moments like that. As the reader I anticipated to see more, considering the set up.😎 As you continue be sure to use spell check and make sure names are capitalized. Keep reading and writing down your responses nice progress and observations.👏


message 22: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Shaunae wrote: "My reaction of Drew in chapters 1-3:
Drew is self-centered and very detached from romantic feelings. “I’m climbing the charts and the last thing I need is a Nagging nancy… if I’ve learned anything ..."


Great incorporation of quotes! Shaunae your reaction to Drew as ‘self-centered and very detached from romantic feelings’ is point on. This is an only child disrupted about views of a relationship for himself basing it off of his parent’s lack of success he observed growing up. He in all his success, as well as education doesn’t negate the grey cloud that surrounds his mental outlook towards being in a committed relationship.

Shaunae would you say this is a character afraid of love because of what he experienced from his parents. Would you calculate that even though someone had to care enough for this go to attain a great education, that his emotions somehow have clouded his lens on life?

Do you wonder how did he get so confident/cocky? While he has a sense of rejection about the idea of love something or someone has had to show him how to be proud, to stay focused on his studies. I ponder if you consider such aspects.


As you stated, ‘Romel is a down to earth and a very good friend to Drew,’ this is accurate. Do you wonder how could he be his friend since childhood but have a different perspective about relationships? He is certainly his own man, and they seem to have a respect for one another that lets each one shine in their own way. It’s nice to capture you experiencing Romel as not a yes man to Drew. Why do you think the (I) author created, Romel in such fashion?
Furthermore, it is refreshing to see you observe Victoria as ‘an amazing and supportive friend to Jasmine. Thank you for sharing your experience. Your remarks engage me to inquire of you and it helps the interactive aspect of reading and discovering meaning to grow. Nicely done!😊👏👏


message 23: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Angel wrote: "When I think of Drew, I think of someone who belongs in the circle of hell for lust. As he is described, he seems atractive. He knows he is too. He states that "the lady's can't get enough" of him ..."

Angel your observation, has made me laugh so hard, ‘I think of someone who belongs in the circle of hell for lust.’ It’s nice to see the words you used describing how Drew’s presence is Jasmine,
‘Drew, begins to crumble almost immediately,’ this is a great picture of how he comes into her life and it alters. Nicely illustrated. My brain gravitated to the color choice you used to describe Victoria and I must say, nice. I am thinking your response was cut off. 😤 I am over here looking for more. Moreover, I am not seeing quotes from the story. This is where you practice applying those skills. Be sure to add quotes from the story.


message 24: by Anwar (new)

Anwar | 7 comments In the book "Not by chance" by author JBlis, Drew shows how confident he is in his looks which makes him seams a bit cocky in chapters 1-3. He stated that "I look so good, the ladies can't resist"(Bliss, 2017, pg 1). He is smooth when it comes to the ladies and is very confident when it comes to his genitals. Personally, Drews's relationship with Romel is one that I truly admire. They've been friends from elementary school and later became fraternity brothers. He is a "real friend" to Drew and he always gives Drew good advice. Jasmine is a young lady who is all about her success and studies. I imagined her to have a "fat ass" because that is what drew is attracted to. She is very freaky in her head but it takes the right man (drew) to bring that out of her. Jasmine's best friend Victoria helps her to break from her little bubble and explore life more. Victoria is very adventurous when it comes to her sex life. This is shown in chapter 2 when Jasmine walked in on her dressed in a catsuit and Romel is wearing a thong.


message 25: by Jendayi (new) - added it

Jendayi Perez (jendayiperez) | 6 comments In response to McKenzi, I do agree with all you pointed out about the different characters. In addition to that, I do not like how Andrew acts when it comes to women. He thinks about his good looks and dick as if he is God gift to earth. Nevertheless, I cannot wait to go more in dept in the story.


message 26: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Jendayi wrote: "In response to McKenzi, I do agree with all you pointed out about the different characters. In addition to that, I do not like how Andrew acts when it comes to women. He thinks about his good looks..."

This response doesn't show you are reading the text. See me in my office.


message 27: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Jamila wrote: "Andrew
Player Mentality
“This big dick is what landed me in trouble two weeks ago with Ameila Sasso.”
“I’m not interested in getting to know anyone right now or babysit Victoria’s friend.”

Romel
F..."

Your list is insufficient for this type of response. We have talked about this. As you move forward please remember to not list details but describe adding quotes.


back to top