AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

The Hollows (Kinship #2)
This topic is about The Hollows
THE HOLLOWS by Jess Montgomery > Introducing THE HOLLOWS

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess Montgomery (jessmontgomeryauthor) Greetings! I’m delighted to host this week and share insights into my new novel, THE HOLLOWS, a sequel to THE WIDOWS which introduced Lily Ross, who becomes sheriff of her county in Appalachian Ohio in 1925, when her husband is killed in the line of duty.

(Lily was inspired by Ohio’s true first female sheriff, in the Appalachian region of Ohio, in 1925.)

In THE HOLLOWS, Sheriff Lily Ross is running for election as county sheriff in her own right in 1926. In real life, Ohio’s first female sheriff won election in her own right in 1926—by a landslide.

Of course, this is fiction, inspired by reality, so I’m not making the election, or the events leading up to it quite so smooth for my Sheriff Lily. For one, she is still reeling from the murder of her husband, which she investigated in THE WIDOWS. What’s more, her campaign is interrupted by a murder of an unidentified elderly woman near a train track in a remote part of the county. The woman is unidentified, and certain clues imply she is not from the area.

As Lily investigates, she discovers shocking truths from her county’s past. She also finds one of her dearest friendships tested. These, and other themes, weave throughout the novel, and I look forward to sharing more with you this week, and hearing your feedback on these themes. Plus, at the end of the week, on Friday January 17, I will draw a winner of THE HOLLOWS (either hardback or ebook)! To enter, just comment on at least one of my posts here on our Facebook Group, or on our Goodreads Group, today through Thursday January 16.

To kick off, today I’d love to hear your comments on strong women in your life. Clearly, Lily, and the woman who inspired her character, are strong women. I dedicated THE HOLLOWS to my mother-in-law, who was a strong and kind woman, and an inspiration to me. What strong woman—mother, mother-in-law, aunt, sister, grandmother, family friend, teacher—has inspired you?

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (drpowell) | 376 comments What a great story, love this. Lately I have been very inspired by the suffragettes who fought for my right to vote.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess Montgomery (jessmontgomeryauthor) Amanda wrote: "What a great story, love this. Lately I have been very inspired by the suffragettes who fought for my right to vote."
Thank you so much! They are, indeed, inspiring.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess Montgomery (jessmontgomeryauthor) Good morning! Remember, at the end of the week, on Friday January 17, I will draw a winner of THE HOLLOWS (either hardback or ebook)! To enter, just comment on at least one of my posts here on our Facebook Group, or on our Goodreads Group, today through Thursday January 16.

One of my favorite things to do--besides write and read--is to bake pie. So, of course I made Sheriff Lily Ross, the sheriff in my Kinship Historical Mysteries, a pie baker as well.

In the debut novel of the series, THE WIDOWS, I discuss buttermilk pie--a sweet yet tangy pie that is her husband's favorite. But he dies in the line of duty, and she is assigned to fill out his term.

In THE HOLLOWS, Lily decides to run for the role of sheriff in her on right. It's a bittersweet decision. After all, she wouldn't realize how much she loves the job of sheriff if she hadn't taken the role because of her husband's death.

Now, she isn't such an enthusiastic pie baker. (Before his death, she won blue ribbons at the county fair for her tasty pies.) But her Mama chastises her that, even as she runs for sheriff, she is expected to enter the pie contest at the fair.

Nearly out of ingredients, she finally makes a vinegar pie! Vinegar pies (like molasses or sorghum pies) were considered 'desperation' pies for lean times or times when the pantry was running low. Like the buttermilk pie, it's sweet but tangy, but of course, the name 'vinegar' implies a deeper tartness--which reflects Lily's mood.
I found a surprising number of vinegar pie recipes in my research. Here's just one. What's your favorite pie? Have you ever made or had a vinegar pie?

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/i...

message 5: by Kelley (new) - added it

Kelley Blair | 16 comments Pecan pie👍

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess Montgomery (jessmontgomeryauthor) Kelley wrote: "Pecan pie👍"
Pecan pie IS delicious!

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Bridges (lindajoyb) | 68 comments The strong woman for me was my grandmother-in-law whose husband died 2 months before the start of the Great Depression leaving her with 3 young children to raise and a farm on which to pay taxes. She moved into town, got a job, and not only kept the farm for the rest of her life, but on the day she was buried, oil was discovered on it. She left a legacy to her children and grandchildren, however, that was more important than money. She left the courage, will power, and drive.

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess Montgomery (jessmontgomeryauthor) Linda wrote: "The strong woman for me was my grandmother-in-law whose husband died 2 months before the start of the Great Depression leaving her with 3 young children to raise and a farm on which to pay taxes. S..."

Linda, she sounds like such a remarkable woman! What a fantastic legacy--particularly the emotional one.