You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Dark and Deepest Red
This topic is about Dark and Deepest Red
Buddy Reads > Dark and Deepest Red

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 13, 2020 06:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 606 comments Join us for a Feb 15 start Buddy Read of Dark and Deepest Red by Anna-Marie McLemore *Book releases Jan. 14, 2020

This book could be used for these Twisted Trivia Challenge tasks, and there's probably others too...
Card 4 ArtLit Nay - retelling of fairy tale
Card 5 Sci Yay - 'Red' in title
Card 13 Ent Nay - theme of dance
Card 18 Ent Nay - face in profile

Buddy Readers: Katrisa, Anne, Margo, Jayme

Jayme | 2546 comments I would like to join you for the buddy read. I am #2 on hold at my library, but the book is still on order. It should be here by Feb 15th. :)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 606 comments Jayme wrote: "I would like to join you for the buddy read. I am #2 on hold at my library, but the book is still on order. It should be here by Feb 15th. :)"

My library doesn't have it on order yet.... I may just splurge with my first purchase of 2020 - #covercrush it'd be a nice one to have on the shelf!

Katrisa | 2686 comments Ya. I made sure kindle had it in case my library doesn't! So it looks like I am taking a trip to Portland from the 15th-19th of Feb. My whole fam will be there, so I will have airplane time to read, but maybe not too much other reading time - so we'll see how long it takes me to finish the book

Katrisa | 2686 comments I just went to check and my library ordered 5 copies and I think I placed the second hold, so I should have it by the 15th.

message 6: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 13, 2020 07:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 606 comments Katrisa wrote: "I just went to check and my library ordered 5 copies and I think I placed the second hold, so I should have it by the 15th."

After reading your message^, I went to check my library again and woohoo it's now listed! They ordered 2 copies, and I'm the second hold, so looks like I'll have it in time too :)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 606 comments My library copy just came through - I've got it for 3 weeks, so I'll need to read it a bit before the 15th, but can make notes for discussion.

How's everyone else doing on sourcing a copy?

message 8: by Jayme (last edited Jan 25, 2020 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jayme | 2546 comments The book still hasn't come into the library yet. Hopefully by Feb 15th.

Katrisa | 2686 comments I got mine this weekend from the library, so I'll also be reading it a bit before the 15th. Also Anne, did you see that Deathless is the group themed read for Feb?

message 10: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 27, 2020 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 606 comments Katrisa wrote: "I got mine this weekend from the library, so I'll also be reading it a bit before the 15th. Also Anne, did you see that Deathless is the group themed read for Feb?"

Ha! Thanks for heads up, I hadn't seen that, funny!... Should we read it in Feb along with the group then, and pick a different book for August? I'm good either way!

Margo | 10031 comments I just bought this and am ready to roll but I see the toppler is set for Feb 15. I am still happy to start as planned but just wanted to point that out x-)

Katrisa | 2686 comments Anne ✨ wrote: "Katrisa wrote: "I got mine this weekend from the library, so I'll also be reading it a bit before the 15th. Also Anne, did you see that Deathless is the group themed read for Feb?"

Ha! Thanks for ..."

That's what I was thinking! Might as well read it along with the group! When I read it last time I read it in paperback, I am looking forward to trying the audio this time. I hope the narrator is good.

Katrisa | 2686 comments I haven't started this one yet even though I have the book because I had like a million holds all come in at the same time, so I am madly going through some of those because I can keep the hard copy longer than the digitals

Margo | 10031 comments I have this one loaded and ready to go at 5pm local time!

Margo | 10031 comments This book is not designed for buddy reading! So many chapters with the same name! My only suggestion is that we go by % complete. I'm not sure if that would work unless we were all listening to the audiobook.

I have decided to start the toppler with a different book so I will wait to see if anyone else has thoughts on how to proceed.

Jayme | 2546 comments I'm having a hard time getting into this book. I also am not sure how to go about a buddy read. I may put it aside also and start another book. I'm going to give it another chapter or so.

message 17: by Jayme (last edited Feb 16, 2020 02:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jayme | 2546 comments Ok I've changed my mind. I'm about a third of the way in and it is getting interesting. Will finish it today. :)

Margo | 10031 comments Glad to hear it's going better Jayme. I'm really enjoying my other book and don't want to break away so I'll probably start tomorrow.

message 19: by Jayme (last edited Feb 16, 2020 09:19AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jayme | 2546 comments I've finished. Read when you have finished. : ) (view spoiler)

message 20: by Katrisa (last edited Feb 20, 2020 08:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katrisa | 2686 comments I finished. I agree with you that the first bit didn't grab me but it did get better after the dancing fever started. I will say this has been my least favorite of McLemore's books that I have read. I still enjoyed it and am not sad that I read it, but I liked When the Moon Was Ours, Blanca & Rojaand The Weight of Feathers better. I am a sucker for beautiful prose and a good atmosphere and I didn't think this book did either of those things as well as their other books, though I always love their use of herbs and other plants in their writing.
(view spoiler)

Margo | 10031 comments I decided not to listen to it during the toppler as I found it hard to concentrate on for long periods, but I will get back to it soon.

Jayme | 2546 comments Katrisa wrote: "I finished. I agree with you that the first bit didn't grab me but it did get better after the dancing fever started. I will say this has been my least favorite of McLemore's books that I have read..."

Rosella's family (view spoiler)

Katrisa | 2686 comments Jayme wrote: "

Ahhhhhh! I missed that :) And I even read this one with eyeballs!

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 606 comments I'm about a 1/3 of the way in now. I started with the book, but transitioned to audio now.

It felt a bit disjointed in the beginning getting used to the past/present changing so quickly back and forth, but I'm used to it now, and enjoying the storylines, I just wish there was a bit longer in each one before going back and forth. I wish I knew the original fairytale more.

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 606 comments I've finished now. I really liked the author's note at the end, it was interesting to understand how the different story ideas came together for her into this re-telling, and the #ownvoices connection for the author as a queer Latina with trans husband. I applaud them for writing these types of characters into their stories.

I thought the story was unique, I enjoyed the historical 1518 Strasbourg parts the most, wth Lavinia and Alifair, and the Romani culture - i'd like to learn more about that.

I rated it 3.5 - what kept it from being a 4 for me was the switching of perspectives from past <-> current . I felt happened it switched too often/after too short of sections, which took me out of the magic, and kept me from really engaging with the characters until well into the book.

I'd definitely like to read more of this author though.. maybe When the Moon Was Ours next