Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Wandering Inn: Book 1 (The Wandering Inn #1)
This topic is about The Wandering Inn
Book Clubs! > Wandering Inn: Volume 1 [Spring 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 12, 2020 04:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Another year, another 2 month Buddy Read. There's been a lot of interest in this one, and I'm finally getting the thread built.

I'm addicted to spreadsheets at this point, so the schedule is actually in one, for now... I'll copy a summary of it into the thread, once it's finalized: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

I used a spreadsheet because it was the easiest way to figure out the best way to split the book into 8 chunks.

This is Wandering Inn: Volume 1. It's a web serial by Pirate Aba. It's currently in the middle of it's 6th volume, and volume 1 is the shortest at 1100 pages. Volume 5 is over 3000 pages, and there are over 10,000 pages in the series to date.

We're doing the first volume because there's an audiobook. We're timing it to hopefully line up with the release of the 2nd audiobook, next summer. To that end, I've tentatively scheduled this for May/June 2020. Each week we will do 5hrs of audio, or ~150 pages.

BLURB: (view spoiler)

Web Serial: https://wanderinginn.com/table-of-con...
ebook maker tutorial: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I wrote a guide (above link) in the WORM web serial thread, about a browser extension that lets you make a portable ebook, for people that want to join the Buddy Read, but don't want to do audio or access the website from their phones every time they want to read (also cuts out the need to load pages).

message 2: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 12, 2020 04:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments **Tentative BR Schedule**

May 4: Chapters 1-12 + Interlude 1 = 5h2m
May 11: Chapters 13-24 = 5h5m
May 18: Chapters 25-31 + Interlude 2 = 5h15m
May 25: Chapters 32-38 = 5h21m

June 1: Chapters 39-44 = 5h16m
June 8: Chapters 45-50 = 5h37m
June 15: Chapters 51-56 = 5h20m
June 22: Chapters 57-63 = 6h13m

Full Audiobook = 43h15m

I'll try and match this to the Web Serial Chapter names, later...

The spreadsheet includes suggestions for splitting each week in half Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday, like we did for Super Powereds...

As always, I'm likely to do weekly chunks, and adjust my stopping points to be more organic, story-permitting... Super Powereds did this well, with school days/weeks/semesters... not sure how this setting will play out...

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Now we have a chat thread... and can finalize our plans...

message 4: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments You guys are going to gobble this one down. The writing is fairly easy to read and the narration is easy to listen to.

Table of Contents Abbreviations help to know when character POV changes happen. It is a little inconsistent but mostly accurate and you need it more from Vol2 & on than you do in Vol1.

(view spoiler)

Hmm! I may re-listen with you guys or just chat along.

message 5: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill | 2150 comments I’m going to join. Been hearing really good things about it.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments This looks SO interesting! Is it a funny one? I'd love to join (provided that I am able to produce this ebook which might be somewhat of a challenge as I am an apple user)

message 7: by Virginie (last edited Jan 13, 2020 02:38AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Woohoo! I'm in, of course :)

I'll be doing audio for this (unless the narrator is awful :p) but created the ebook with the tool Iain gave the link of out of curiosity. Works perfectly :)

Mayim, if you can't make it work on a Mac, send me a PM and I'll give you my file.

message 8: by Virginie (last edited Jan 13, 2020 02:41AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I'm addicted to spreadsheets at this point, so the schedule is actually in one, for now..."

Hahaha! Spreadsheets for the win!

If you give me modification rights, I will annex your spreadsheet into my Empire add the page count from my ebook (and the web serial chapter names) to it :)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Virginie wrote: "Woohoo! I'm in, of course :)

I'll be doing audio for this (unless the narrator is awful :p) but created the ebook with the tool Iain gave the link of out of curiosity. Works perfectly :)

Mayim, i..."

Thank you Your Highness LifeSaviness!

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments @Virginie: should be sorted... my first time giving permissions thru the app, tho...

@Mayim: I figured Virginie could hook you up... just has to be limited supply to avoid hurting Pirate Aba’s ability to market ebooks/audiobooks in the future... by making it too easy to get without interaction...

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments @Virginie: maybe you can fix my formulas, too, lol... I used some ugly shortcuts to get the times working... I’m tracking minutes/second, but had to tell Sheets it was hours/minutes to avoid showing or typing 00:05:13.00 all these extra leading or ending zeros...

My sheet WORKS... but it leaves me unable to show 302:15 as 5:02:15

message 12: by Navi (new) - added it

Navi (nvsahota) | 237 comments I’m so excited to start this series!

message 13: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "The spreadsheet includes suggestions for splitting each week in half Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday, like we did for Super Powereds..."

Sounds good :) I vote for Monday/Thursday. As for names, we can have "Monday - Inn-day" and "Wandering Thursday"

I'm really excited to start!

message 14: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments This webseries has all the vaste oceans of feelings! There is humor and there from the start.

I liked the audio! I wasn't sure if I would but I ended up liking it alot.

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "The spreadsheet includes suggestions for splitting each week in half Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday, like we did for Super Powereds..."

Sounds good :) I vote for Monday/Th..."

Look at you, making the important decisions :D

message 16: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "The spreadsheet includes suggestions for splitting each week in half Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday, like we did for Super Powereds..."

Sounds good :) I v..."

Someone has to! :D

message 17: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "@Virginie: maybe you can fix my formulas, too, lol... I used some ugly shortcuts to get the times working... I’m tracking minutes/second, but had to tell Sheets it was hours/minutes to avoid showin..."

Oh hell no, I hate dealing with time/duration in spreadsheet :p

message 18: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments That's right! Tell him how it is, Virginie! Iain can WASTE LOTS OF TIME figuring out how to do that himself.

Bwahahah

message 19: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Sounds good :) I vote for Monday/Thursday. As for names, we can have "Monday - Inn-day" and "Wandering Thursday""

I've tried saying "Today is Monday. Today is INN-DAY!" and "Wandering, wandering, wandering... Wandering THURSDAY!" out-loud in a sing-song voice and it works pretty well.

I approve.

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Virginie wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "@Virginie: maybe you can fix my formulas, too, lol... I used some ugly shortcuts to get the times working... I’m tracking minutes/second, but had to tell Sheets it was hours/m..."

I understand... I settled on what I did, because it seemed like the easiest way to get the job done...

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments I fiddled with the spreadsheet, to easily facilitate Soo's POV info, and Virginie's ebook page counts, but I really don't know how to parse the audiobook chapters with the Table of Contents on the website...

The audiobook just numbers the chapters 1-63... it has 2 interludes... the interludes don't 100% line up with the ToC... and the ToC has unique numberings for changing POVs...

message 22: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments If you keep an eye on the ToC, it'll make sense and you'll just end up with a little overlap. I think.

For those who are doing the audio route, I got suckered into the story and ended up listening to it non-stop. LOL

So, if you can make yourself pause, you have more will power than me. =D

message 23: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Soon it's Wandering Inn time 🤩

message 24: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments oh! when do we start?

message 25: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Yay

message 26: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Mayim wrote: "oh! when do we start?"

May 4th :) There's a schedule in the second comment.

message 27: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments oopsie, missed it! I hope that this is going to be added into the May buddy reads list, this is the only thing that keeps me from being lost in my own lineup

Thank you Anni!

message 28: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments No problem at all, I'm very glad, that you will join us :)

I don't think it will be added tho, because we haven't requested the read 😅 But you could maybe ask for it do be added?

message 29: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Done.

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Almost Time!!!

message 31: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Yeah!!! 🙌

message 32: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments If you have Audible (US), Wandering Inn is currently part of the 2-for-1 Credit sale.

I may re-read & join ya'll for talks. =D

message 33: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I have started and I need to say that the writing style is quite horrid. I hope it improves pronto. Otherwise, there will be a lot of skimming. It reads like a highschool product.

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments That’s probably inevitable... web serials tend to be freshman efforts that improve as they go along... there’s little incentive to go back and do rewrites until it comes time to commercially publish... and even then they don’t want to retcon much...

Spelling/edits are also usually fan submissions in the comments...

Consensus seems to be that improves as time goes on (this type of work is published a chapter or a couple of pages at a time, for years)...

I’ve read Super Powereds (which was great) and WORM (which had it’s ups and downs)... Soo can say more about this book... I picked it mostly from rhe title/blurb and existence of audio...

message 35: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments The writing is better in Volume 2. I listened to Volume 1 by audio. If I didn't get into the story by audio first, I would never have made it far in the serial. I got used to the style by listening to the audio and the characters grew in my head. So once I went on the website to read, I was kind of prepared for choppy writing. The writing is so-so but the ideas are pretty good.

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 701 comments Just picked this up in the audible sale so I'll try to start it tomorrow. Been wanting to check this one out for a while now

message 37: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I reached 1.07 the girl is so stupid! So now I’m waiting for these ideas to come.

message 38: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments I have good news and bad news. She does develop but it takes a while. Author has the "meandering" style of writing. Most details are put down for a reason & built upon. That was one of the things I liked about the story.

But, like I said, I don't think I could handle reading Volume 1 of the webserial. Audio was the only reason why I ended up getting into Wandering Inn & enjoying the story. Andrea Parsneau did a great job.

message 39: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments I only listened to the first three chapters, but so far I agree the Narrator is doing a really good job. Storywise I don't know yet, it is indeed rather simple and I guess you are able to see that it isn't written by an experienced author, but I don't think it's that bad. Might as well be the audio, I also started Worm as audiobook and the first time I actually read parts of the story I was a bit shocked that it felt way more... unfinished. I don't think I would have been able to read Worm as a whole without the audio. It might be the same here.

message 40: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Too bad I I’m reading!

message 41: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments You can totally speed up the audio and zoom it from there. The cool thing about this story is that all parts are fairly simple but layers develop & make them more rounded. That's the charm for character aspects & other story developments.

The way Erin is described and what she does in the beginning? Who would NOT be annoyed with her? LOL

Other things about the story had me interested before I started to like Erin for being Erin.

This is one of those stories that need some patience & forgiveness from the reader to develop. When I jumped to the website and read some of the comments/etc, I shook my head mentally because I would not give so much of my creative writing process over to readers/commenters. It's one thing to work on a collaborative piece. Author definitely used the readers to push the story. In some ways, that could be great writing challenges but I would have a strong idea about what story I am writing and not change it from what I envision.

It is not the best writing. The writing does get better and the ideas are pretty cool. Hopefully, something about it will catch your interest!

message 42: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Soo, I’m sure it will at some point. I just plan to get over the dreadful parts really fast.

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Soo wrote: "You can totally speed up the audio and zoom it from there. The cool thing about this story is that all parts are fairly simple but layers develop & make them more rounded. That's the charm for char..."

That's something I really like about Drew Hayes... he started with his web serial, but has some great writing habits & real ideas with where his stories are going... I remember reading his write-up on the decisions made at the end of book 2 or 3 of the Super Powereds series: http://www.drewhayesnovels.com/blog/t...

I shared that link at the appropriate time in the BR thread last year...

message 44: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments That blog entry was cool. =)
I still need to read Corpies.

message 45: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I reached the R Interlude and subsequent chapter.
So. My conclusion is that definitely the wordcount kills this story. There is not enough substance to justify it. I am mentally snip-snipping when reading this and I can only imagine the glee with which your average editor would descend on this text.

don't get me wrong, the ideas are definitely there: misty over the distant horizon. But I guess it will take about ten years to get there (view spoiler) and we will have to go through hundreds of pasta-cooking/blue fruits gathering descriptions. Not a fair bargain, but a bargain. In a normal book, it would take a chapter between the arrival and the "no killing goblins" sign to appear. Maybe two.

The only scene I liked so far was (sorry, I cannot remember the chapter!) (view spoiler) That was refreshing and also uplifting because for a moment I was anxious that there were only humanoid ants in the ideas department and let me tell you most stores are better supplied even during the pandemic.

Frank | 695 comments Soo wrote: "I have good news and bad news. She does develop but it takes a while. Author has the "meandering" style of writing. Most details are put down for a reason & built upon. That was one of the things I..."

I'm through the first five chapters and with everyone else, our is quite annoying, "I hate this place".
I hope the story does pickup, and get a bit more meatier.

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments I've started a betting pool in my head on how far Mayim will make it in the story... altho I'm not too clear if Mayim ever DNFs... maybe I should be betting on how much skimming she does?

message 48: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I think I can count on my fingers the numbers of books I DNFed and the statistics textbooks take up most of the available space. One Schwab, this I remember. I normally persevere.

I don't skim that much, this reads fast.

message 49: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments I started a re-read. The audio makes the story much more alive! The different voices & emotional touches that Parsneau adds to the narrative is great.

One of the things I really like about the story is that it's light Gamelit and this is a pretty good representation of what it would be like for a non-videogamer to struggle in figuring out how to survive/live in a new world.

message 50: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Soo but she is a gamer! That was what made it so annoying.

« previous 1