Reading (Expanding Horizons) discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
Group Reads: Classics > January 2020: The Great Gatsby Discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sunshine (new) - added it

Sunshine | 223 comments Mod
Hey, everyone. I apologize profusely for putting this thread up so late but I'd like to believe it's better late than never, right?! I read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald last year and quite enjoyed it. I intend to read it again for our discussion. Please share all of your thoughts below. I'd love to hear your insights!

Note: Spoilers ARE allowed in this thread. Thank you!

message 2: by Vicky (new) - added it

Vicky Oy! Another book I have yet to read.

message 3: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica (j_stansel) | 60 comments This was my first book of the new year. I first read it when I was in junior high and hadn't read it since, but remembered thinking it was wonderfully written. It was amazing how much more I understood and appreciated in the story now that I am older.

message 4: by Vicky (new) - added it

Vicky I've never read it and it has been on my shelf for an age and a half. I will get to it.

message 5: by Vicky (new) - added it

Vicky So many books, so little time. I really will get to Gatsby soon, along with Lolita. I just finished reading a small book that I had gotten second hand years ago called For America. It has great ideas on how to be a better citizen and reminds the reader of all the blessings of living in America. Great website info for various organizations. Now reading a small textbook from my BYU days - 0h, about 100 years ago - LOL! - about writing your personal history and memoirs. Great tips so one's personal history isn't dull.

message 6: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica (j_stansel) | 60 comments Vicky wrote: "Now reading a small textbook from my BYU days - 0h, about 100 years ago - LOL! - about writing your personal history and memoirs. Great tips so one's personal history isn't dull."

If you don't mind sharing, I would love to hear, or even read, what you learn. My sister sent me an email earlier this week from my Mom's computer, where she had started writing her personal history. I would love to continue my Mom's work; she passed in October 2016.

message 7: by Vicky (new) - added it

Vicky Jessica,
I'd be more than happy to send the book to you. It's about 60 pages, but was helpful. Please let me know if you would be interested. Perhaps there is a way for you to share your address privately so I can send the book to you if you want it.

message 8: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica (j_stansel) | 60 comments Vicky wrote: "Jessica,
I'd be more than happy to send the book to you. It's about 60 pages, but was helpful. Please let me know if you would be interested. Perhaps there is a way for you to share your address pr..."

Vicky,

That would be wonderful! I would happily pay for the shipping. I think it would mean a lot to my sister, and my mom, if I could finish what she started.

message 9: by Vicky (new) - added it

Vicky Can you send me a private message with your address? I'll send the book ASAP. I'll keep things confidential.