Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > January 13 a little early

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2079 comments Mod
This is a little bit of a cheat. While the book includes a romantic relationship and has an HEA, the scene is between a father and daughter, and the book is probably considered women’s fiction. But its such a lovely scene I had to share it. Plus, relationships with fathers often do shape romantic relationships and definitely did for this heroine.

I’ve flagged the adoptive relationship both because it illuminates why heroine feels how she does and because its followed by a discussion about how she thinks her bio dad (who died when she was 8 or so) was disappointed in her, and how she always felt a burden to her adoptive parents.

She was standing by the window, trying to work out what to do, when there was a tap on the door.

Braced for a difficult conversation with Hero, she was surprised to see adoptive dad standing there.

“Can I come in?”

“Of course.” Heroine’s tension rose. She’d been rude, she know that. She’d flouted all the house rules about hospitality and probably embarrassed them. It wasn’t the first time. Christmas had been stressful, and it probably wouldn’t be the last, but that didn’t stop her feeling guilty at the part she’d played. “I was about to come downstairs.”

Dad pulled out the chair by her desk and sat down. “You don’t have to do that.”

She felt a spasm of guilt. “I shouldn’t have come home. Adoptive mom always wants Christmas to be a happy time and I’ve ruined it. Is she very upset? Are you worried about her?” Why was it she could never be what people wanted her to be?

And now she’d even disappointed dad. Kind, rock-solid, unflappable dad.

“You haven’t ruined anything. And its not mom I’m worried about, its you.”

“Me?”

“You’ve never brought a guy home before and its pretty obvious to me that you didn’t invite hero. And then there’s the fact that you arrived home early and looking pretty miserable.”

The fact that she’d been so transparent was embarrassing, not just for herself but also for hero.

“I didn’t expect him to show up here. I’m sure you have questions—“ The situation was so awkward and uncomfortable.

“Only one question.” Dad leaned forward. “What would you like me to do?”

“Do?”

“About hero. It doesn’t matter to me why he is here, or who thought what. The only thing that matters to me is what you want.” He sat quietly for a moment, staring at his hands as if he didn’t quite know what he should be doing with them. “Whatever you’d like me to do, I’ll do it. I’ll fix it in whatever way you’d like it fixed. If you want him to leave, then say the word and I’ll deal with it. You don’t have to see him if you don’t want to. He can stay in the pub tonight and I’ll take him back to the airport tomorrow.”

“You don’t think I’m capable of handling this myself?”

“You’re more than capable of handling it, but I’m your dad and I’m offering to handle it for you. Everyone needs a little help once in a while. I’m offering mine, if you’d like it. Sometimes in life its ok to take the easy path. I can see this is tough for you, so let me protect you from it.”

Heroine was so touched that for a moment she couldn’t breathe.

There was an ache in her chest that grew and grew.

He’d come to her room not to lecture her on manners but to offer his protection.

She turned away quickly so he wouldn’t’ see the tears in her eyes. They scalded, welled up, threatened to spill.

I’m your dad.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 666 comments Oh my I started to cry. Not many dads would do that. I have not read.

message 3: by Chocolatesoup (new)

Chocolatesoup | 365 comments So touching!

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber | 161 comments Very sweet!

message 5: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1150 comments so lovely!

message 6: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2079 comments Mod
The book is the Christmas Sisters by Sarah Morgan

message 7: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1895 comments Mod
Oh I just read a bunch of her Christmas books but missed this one. Good choice!