Play Book Tag discussion

IQ (IQ, #1)
This topic is about IQ
January 2020: Thriller > IQ - Joe Ide (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cora (new) - added it

Cora (corareading) | 1359 comments IQ - Joe Ide

4 stars

This book seems like the author asked what would happen if Sherlock Holmes was reincarnated as an African-American man in one of Los Angeles toughest neighborhoods. Isaiah Quintabe (IQ) is an unlicensed detective that takes cases for people in his neighborhood that can't afford help anywhere else. Usually he only charges what the client afford, but sometimes he has to find a payday case that will provide him with enough money to pay for his expenses. He is lucky to be asked to help a successful rap artist find out who is trying to kill him. If he can solve the case, he should be set financially for a while. I liked this book. I really liked the main characters and I liked how we are given his back story as the book goes on. IQ is unique detective and quite unlike any others I have read (comparisons to Sherlock Holmes aside). Although I thought the final answer to the mystery was a bit obvious, it was more about the journey than the final answer. I will definitely continue with this series.

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Nice review.

message 3: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5219 comments Thanks for your review. I've been wondering about this book. (My first thought was that someone like Sherlock Holmes wouldn't make it through school nowadays without getting beat up.) I agree with you that the journey is key to a good mystery novel - and unique characters.

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2018 comments I love this series, have listened to all three, and am preordered for #4 Hi Five at the end of January. I think they're hilarious but anyone who is put off by offensive language isn't going to enjoy it as much.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

IQ (other topics)
Hi Five (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Joe Ide (other topics)