Play Book Tag discussion

Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
This topic is about Mary Poppins Comes Back
Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Mary Poppins Comes Back by P.L. Traverse-3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Theresa | 7411 comments Michael, Jane and the twins are not behaving. Mrs. Banks is beside herself because each new nanny is a disaster and all is at sixes and sevens. One day a frazzled Mrs. Banks sends the children out to the park with orders to fly Michael's kite. After some difficulty, the kite finally soars high into the sky, eventually ending up caught in a cloud. After a struggle to detach it from the cloud, the children are able to bring it down- with Mary Poppins attached!

So begins the second book, and second visit by Mary Poppins to the Banks household. This visit sees a new addition added to the family, less involvement by the parents, more extraordinary adventures, more odd characters like the Topsy Turveys, and a continuosly stern nanny with narcissist leanings.

I now know where most of the key elements and scenes of the recent Mary Poppins Returns can be found...in the second of her eight books. As Travers was notoriously unhappy about the existing adaptation and refused permission even in her will to any further, and the books are all still protected by copyright I believe, my lawyerly mind wants to know how Mary Poppins Return got made... did her heirs grant permission against her express wishes?

Enjoyable as this was, I liked it less than the first. The darker edge to it feels borderline mean and nasty. I wonder if it is even noticed by children?

Karin | 7198 comments You know who else I think was unhappy with the adaptation of her book? Maria von Trapp. That account was completely mangled in the musical.

Theresa | 7411 comments Karin wrote: "You know who else I think was unhappy with the adaptation of her book? Maria von Trapp. That account was completely mangled in the musical."

Hmmm... I think I remember reading about that at some point.