Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
This topic is about Wayward Son
Buddy Reads: Current & Upcoming > Rowell, Rainbow--Wayward Son(Simon Snow #2) informal buddy read starts January 13, 2020

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31350 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell.

Synopsis
The story is supposed to be over.

Simon Snow did everything he was supposed to do. He beat the villain. He won the war. He even fell in love. Now comes the good part, right? Now comes the happily ever after…

So why can’t Simon Snow get off the couch?

What he needs, according to his best friend, is a change of scenery. He just needs to see himself in a new light…

That’s how Simon and Penny and Baz end up in a vintage convertible, tearing across the American West.

They find trouble, of course. (Dragons, vampires, skunk-headed things with shotguns.) And they get lost. They get so lost, they start to wonder whether they ever knew where they were headed in the first place…

With Wayward Son, Rainbow Rowell has written a book for everyone who ever wondered what happened to the Chosen One after he saved the day. And a book for everyone who was ever more curious about the second kiss than the first. It’s another helping of sour cherry scones with an absolutely decadent amount of butter.

Come on, Simon Snow. Your hero’s journey might be over – but your life has just begun.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Laura | 9707 comments I'm looking forward to starting this tomorrow!

message 5: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments I'm going to indulge in an extremely petty gripe and say I wish I'd been able to get the Barnes and Noble edition, the one with the blue cover. The normal cover is so bright it kind of hurts my eyes, and anyway I hate yellow.

Laura | 9707 comments I have the same cover as you

message 7: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Ok, I'm sneaking pages at work, and the line "He never sees anything coming! He's taken aback by Tuesdays!" nearly made me snort soda out of my nose.

message 8: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments So I'm a little past page 100, and I'm not sure of your reading speed or how much you wanted to discuss it. Would you like me to stop for a bit?

Laura | 9707 comments I’m not that far yet but I’ll catch up. If you read more than that no worries. This is a nice change after the last one I finished.

Chapters 1-8
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Chapters 9- 21.. I’m 110 pages in
(view spoiler)

message 11: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments I'm at about page 125, but I'm going to have to put the brakes on until this weekend. Work suddenly got extremely stressful instead of the normal mildly stressful, and I can't do sad or tension on top of that.

(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments I'm about there as well, Alanna. I don't mind waiting. I can pick something else up and finish the other book I have on the go. I'll come back to this Saturday. See you then

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Alanna are you still interested in reading this? I read a little more but yesterday was a Netflix binge day.

message 14: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Alanna are you still interested in reading this? I read a little more but yesterday was a Netflix binge day."

Yeah, I'm gonna finish it. I really liked Carry On and I think it deserves for me to at least read it.

message 15: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Alright, I sat down and read another 70-ish pages (putting me at around 200). I'm liking it, but I'm not loving it. I think it's because she's putting world building on top of world building that didn't feel all that substantial in the first place. What do you think?

Laura | 9707 comments I'm at 262 pages and I'm definitely not feeling this one. It took forever for something to actually happen, the relationship between Simon and Baz is no longer exciting- its drug out and boring. I'm going to finish this hopefully today to end the misery. It's a disappointing read especially since I loved Carry On.

message 17: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments I'm glad it's not just me! I'm going to close it out soon, and it'll go into the box for the secondhand store. I'll probably read Any Way the Wind Blows, though, because I would like to see how it ends.

Laura | 9707 comments I finished Alanna. Two stars. It was disappointing after Carryon. I'm a fan of action...there was none until almost the end. Favorite parts: Finding out about Shepard, Agatha finally saving herself, Baz learning more about himself. I'm hoping book 3 is more entertaining.
thanks for reading this with me

message 19: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments I skimmed the last 100 pages today. Serious Middle Book Syndrome. And I'm a little mad I turned out to be right about the cliffhanger.

Hopefully Any Way The Wind Blows will be better.

Laura | 9707 comments Alanna wrote: "I skimmed the last 100 pages today. Serious Middle Book Syndrome. And I'm a little mad I turned out to be right about the cliffhanger.

Hopefully Any Way The Wind Blows will be better."

Hopefully!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wayward Son (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rainbow Rowell (other topics)