Series to Finish challenge discussion

One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
This topic is about One of Us Is Next
Book Discussions > One of Us is Next (One of Us is Lying #2) by Karen M. McManus

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Come on, Bayview, you know you've missed this.

A ton of copycat gossip apps have popped up since Simon died, but in the year since the Bayview four were cleared of his shocking death, no one's been able to fill the gossip void quite like he could. The problem is no one has the facts.

Until now.

This time it's not an app, though—it's a game.

Truth or Dare.

Phoebe's the first target. If you choose not to play, it's a truth. And hers is dark.

Then comes Maeve and she should know better—always choose the dare.

But by the time Knox is about to be tagged, things have gotten dangerous. The dares have become deadly, and if Maeve learned anything from Bronwyn last year, it's that they can't count on the police for help. Or protection.

Simon's gone, but someone's determined to keep his legacy at Bayview High alive. And this time, there's a whole new set of rules.

Lauren (crushgoil) | 22 comments I’m finding it hard to connect with the characters because there’s so many new characters. I know they connect to the characters we already know, which makes it a bit easier, but still. Hopefully I’ll feel more engaged as I read more. Part of what I loved so much about One of Us is Lying is how much I cared about every character.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That's interesting because I thought it would take me longer to connect with the characters and though I'm still not fully there, I'm not bored with them or anything. It's great to go straight into the action too.

I read the synopsis when it first came out but,to be honest, I forgot about it so I assumed we would have 4 pov again.I was also surprised to see Maeve as one of the main characters. As you say, Lauren, it helps a lot to have them connected to the characters from book 1.

Chapters 1-5
(view spoiler)

Lauren (crushgoil) | 22 comments I think my main issue is that I keep getting Maeve and Phoebe confused. I’m not very good with remembering character names and so at the beginning of each new chapter I have to try to remember who is who again.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I can see that! Hopefully it helps that it's 3 people this time. Well, pov, because there are a lot of characters!
I remember Maeve from the recap I read but maybe have a couple things about each of them to remember? So when you see it's a Phoebe chapter you remember she has the mad sister and works at the café and things like that. The basics.

Lauren (crushgoil) | 22 comments I care about the characters now, but I’m also 80% done. The pages have slipped away and I feel like not a lot has happened? I think I’m hyper critical because I’ve read a bunch of adult thrillers lately and the most recent one I read was AWESOME. Though, I didn’t much care for Karen’s second book. Have you read that one?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not that into thrillers but I did enjoy One of Us is Lying more than I thought. I was disappointed by the other book as well. I think I just did not connect to the characters as much as I did with the Bayview Four.

Lauren (crushgoil) | 22 comments Well, I’m done. It was a book. I really hope that you’re enjoying it more.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I figured you'd finish today. I'm sorry it was okay for you but I hope you enjoyed it more than Two Can Keep A Secret.
I'm curious, how was the reveal? Did you expect who was behind everything? Were you surprised?

Lauren (crushgoil) | 22 comments I saw about half of the reveal coming. It made a lot of sense which I’m glad for. I certainly enjoyed it more than Two Can Keep a Secret.

Tiffany Heywood (tiffthebooknerd) | 182 comments Mod
Just started so two chapters in (view spoiler)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Ending
(view spoiler)

Tiffany Heywood (tiffthebooknerd) | 182 comments Mod
Omg just finished part 1 (view spoiler)

Lauren (crushgoil) | 22 comments Totally agree Tiffany

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't think it was confusing or anything. At the beginning I was unsure because I didn't know the characters but that's it. They don't switch pov in the middle of chapters though, right? Hopefully you feel like it gets better soon.

Part 1 ended great, didn't it?