Serpent and Badger Book Club discussion

Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1)
This topic is about Strange the Dreamer
BOTM > January 2020 Book: Strange the Dreamer by Lani Taylor

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Callie LaBelle | 10 comments Mod
I found this to be a little slow but overall very imaginative and fun

Dane CC (awrenthatreads) | 3 comments Hello! hi ^.^ Quick introduction:

I am Dri ~ or Wren (that's my online handle/general nickname - it's a family thing, the bird thing). Hufflepuff! I read things! Sometimes I write things!

okokok

so this is why I like book groups because guys

friends

pals

I just finished part 1 and eeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm so enthralled! I'm getting major Name of the Wind vibes. I don't know from where. maybe it's the storytelling? I've never read Laini Taylor before but I'm certainly going to continue.

I hope the book stays this good ^^ I really, truly, am genuinely rooting for Lazlo and I love it when I can throw myself in to support a main character. and I'm intrigued by Thyon, even if he is a prat.

I'm excited to keep reading!

/endrant

sorry guys XD I just had to share that somewhere and, well, book group!

Dane CC (awrenthatreads) | 3 comments I finished! I loved this book so much! There were parts of the end that I ended up skimming through a little bit, but I'm weird in the sense that I tend to skim through high-action scenes but will fully immerse myself in the slower, world-building sorts of descriptions.

First note: I utterly forgot about the prologue bit until Sparrow was making the little flower cake and mentioned the buds and I had to stop a minute and think because that looked *familiar* but I couldn't figure out from where. Then I went back and reread the beginning and was like

O.O

oh no

Then I was on the edge of my seat (metaphorically) wondering which girl was gonna bite it at the end. I am SO curious to see where this goes in Muse of Nightmares. But yeah, I really appreciated that bit of storytelling there. I think Laini Taylor is certainly a wonderful storyteller and this was a really great book to read right after finishing The Starless Sea, which is also very much a book about storytelling. It made me appreciate this even more.

ANYWAY! Those are my thoughts. I've got some questions for y'all:

1). Who was your favorite character?
2). What do you think happened to all the godspawn children?
3). WUTS GONNA HAPPEN TO SARAI!?
4). Was there anything you found confusing about the world/story?
5). How do YOU want it to end? This can be as realistic or ridiculous as possible.

Also, feel free to ignore my questions if you don't feel like answering them. I just figured I'd toss them in and I'm curious what you guys think!

Brittany Schmidt (brittany_schmidt2020) | 2 comments Mod
When you’re listening to the audiobook and get to chapter 9 you feel pretty good, until you realize that location of the audiobook converts to page 67 of 532. It’s a very immersive world, like I’ve seen in other comments and from what Callie told me, and I can’t get enough! I’m posting because I got to Part II and the word “thakrar”, the precise point on the spectrum of awe at which wonder turns to dread, or dread to wonder, made me stop for a moment and feel excited for where this magical story is about to go. And I’m feeling a little inspired by the word and it’s meaning. Happy Friday and happy reading 😊

Sara | 8 comments Mod
I'm getting sucked into this world and I am loving these characters so much! They are unique and each are themselves. Over a third of the way through and I've already had ideas about what will happen verses what has happened and I can't wait to see how where it goes!

Sara | 8 comments Mod
So, finished this book and I have feelings! While I did have a solid feeling about what would happen, I was right on several parts and I was also wrong on other parts. I did have some parts where I was a little confused as to what was part of the dream world versus what wasn't, however, I would overall declare that this was very well written and I enjoyed it immensely!

I"m still wrapping my head around some parts of it, but I am curious as to how the second book is going to go. It almost seems as though there is one way and I fail to see how Sarai can get out of her current situation. Any ideas??

Dane CC (awrenthatreads) | 3 comments Me and Callie chatted on Instagram that maybe Sarai could like.. ascend into true godhead or something ^^ I don't know how that would play out for her and Lazlo's budding romance though. It might end up being one of those bittersweet Sokka/Yue situations :( But honestly Laini Taylor has proven to be so creative that I wouldn't put it past her to come up with something I'm incapable of predicting and making it work beautifully XD

Brittany Schmidt (brittany_schmidt2020) | 2 comments Mod
Friends. I am SO mad about the ending.