Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > 'International Reviews' on Amazon.com

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lightfoot | 25 comments My book has 20+ reviews on Amazon.co.uk but had none on Amazon.com (which wasn't surprising as 95% of my sales were UK). I checked Amazon.com today and was surprised to see I had 12 reviews (there were none earlier this week). Upon investigating I found that they were all reviews from Amazon.co.uk which were now classed as 'international reviews'.

Is this something new or does it take a few months for country-based reviews to filter through to .com? Also I'm not sure why these 12 have been selected and the remaining 10 or so haven't?

message 2: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Dallas (tjdallas) | 5 comments Following this as I'm curious too. I seem to be the opposite way around though; I had one review on Amazon.co.uk, and 7 reviews/ratings on Amazon.com, and the 7 US ratings have filtered through to practically every other countries Amazons, but the UK still only shows one main rating, which doesn't include the 7 international ratings, lol. If any of that makes any sense... Curious to try and understand more about what's going on.

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lightfoot | 25 comments T.J. wrote: "Following this as I'm curious too. I seem to be the opposite way around though; I had one review on Amazon.co.uk, and 7 reviews/ratings on Amazon.com, and the 7 US ratings have filtered through to ..."

Has that just happened? My .com reviews have definitely just appeared in the last couple of days as I checked on Wednesday and there were none then.

message 4: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4305 comments Mod
Amazon seems to be making some changes, which often causes mild chaos for a few days. Right now my international reviews seem to be counting as two reviews instead of one. It'll settle down in a few days, I'm sure.

message 5: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Dallas (tjdallas) | 5 comments Matthew wrote: "T.J. wrote: "Following this as I'm curious too. I seem to be the opposite way around though; I had one review on Amazon.co.uk, and 7 reviews/ratings on Amazon.com, and the 7 US ratings have filtere..."

Those seven reviews have only filtered through to other countries Amazons in the last few days, yeah. Nothing appears to be changing on Amazon.co.uk though. Seems a lot of different people are seeing different things happening with these changes, so as Dwayne mentioned, maybe everything will settle down in a few days and we'll start to see some consistency.

message 6: by Jude (new)

Jude Hayland | 34 comments Amazon has a mind of its own - I find it constantly bewildering ...changes things without informing us too.

message 7: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Jude wrote: "Amazon has a mind of its own - I find it constantly bewildering ...changes things without informing us too."

As long as they continue to allow me to upload my dumb stories and sell them, they can do pretty much whatever they want and it won't bother me. Even if they did notify me every time they made small changes, I probably wouldn't pay attention to it.

message 8: by Jude (new)

Jude Hayland | 34 comments Dwayne wrote: "Jude wrote: "Amazon has a mind of its own - I find it constantly bewildering ...changes things without informing us too."

As long as they continue to allow me to upload my dumb stories and sell th..."

Agreed! If it suits you, it suits you!

message 9: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 694 comments Mod
Dwayne wrote: "As long as they continue to allow me to upload my dumb stories and sell them, they can do pretty much whatever they want and it won't bother me."

If we ever make a collection of honestly pragmatic quotes from this group, this should get there :D

message 10: by Jude (new)

Jude Hayland | 34 comments Totally with you on that!

message 11: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Tomas wrote: "If we ever make a collection of honestly pragmatic quotes from this group, this should get there :D"

The irony is, I can't respond to that completely honestly without breaking the rules of the group. So, I'll thank you and maybe later give you a response in the hideout.

Yes, we mods have a hideout.

It's full of ferns and flamethrowers and plenty of vodka for Ann.

message 12: by Kat (new)

Kat (katwiththehat) | 3 comments My older book now shows "International reviews" while the other does not. Also, it appears it is now possible to leave a rating anonymously without a review. Not sure how long that has been a thing.

message 13: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lightfoot | 25 comments Kat wrote: "My older book now shows "International reviews" while the other does not. Also, it appears it is now possible to leave a rating anonymously without a review. Not sure how long that has been a thing."

The rating without review thing is weird. I had a couple of readers contact me on social media and say they'd tried to leave a review on Amazon but had it rejected (as usual couldnt work out why). Those ratings then seemed to appear on Goodreads and the ratings seemed to hit Amazon but not the reviews. I managed to contact one of the readers and he said he did have a Goodreads account but hadn't left the rating there, only on Amazon. Therefore it does seem that there is some link between Amazon and Goodreads and if someone has a review rejected but also has a Goodreads account, it picks up their rating but still doesnt allow the review. Very strange!

message 14: by Karla (new)

Karla Jay | 3 comments I never saw the international reviews on Amazon.com US until I went looking at the other countries' reviews. Then, they started showing up.
Also, the rating with no review has baffled me, as well. Years ago, my books never got ratings. The GR's connection must be what is happening. I've had readers tell me their reviews were rejected because they haven't spent $50 a year on Amazon so they were not allowed to review! Many had shared partner accounts and their wife or husband used it more often. Doesn't seem fair!

message 15: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Karla wrote: "Doesn't seem fair!"

The way authors (usually Indies) gamed the system in the past, I'd say all the changes they made are very fair. Amazon wants to do what they can to make sure the reviews are as honest and unbiased as can be. Really, it's in our best interest, anyway. Savvy readers can tell a bogus review a mile away. So, whatever it takes to be sure our reviews are the best they can be is fine with me.

message 16: by Karla (new)

Karla Jay | 3 comments Dwayne,
I agree with you about the way authors gamed the system. I'm not sure the idea that one must pay $50 on Amazon before they can review is what I was disagreeing with. One of my readers is on a very limited budget, won my book through an Amazon giveaway but could not review because she hasn't spent enough money.
Overall, I like the review scrutiny.

message 17: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lightfoot | 25 comments Karla wrote: "Dwayne,
I agree with you about the way authors gamed the system. I'm not sure the idea that one must pay $50 on Amazon before they can review is what I was disagreeing with. One of my readers is on..."

I've had a few people tell me they've fallen foul of this rule too. I can see the reason for it - it's a good way to prevent fake reviews but I think $50/£40 is quite high, especially for a verified purchase review.

message 18: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Bland (roxanne2) | 102 comments Matthew wrote: "Kat wrote: "My older book now shows "International reviews" while the other does not. Also, it appears it is now possible to leave a rating anonymously without a review. Not sure how long that has ..."

Amazon owns Goodreads. That's the link.

message 19: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Jeanmougin | 29 comments I've had a Canadian review flip-flop over to ".com" like this. I wonder if it makes a difference whether the review is a "verified purchase."

message 20: by W. (new)

W. Boutwell | 157 comments Amazon gives and Amazon takes away.
Blessed is the Mighty Amazon and benevolent and mysterious its many internal workings.

message 21: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 11 comments I have two books and a box set of those. On Amazon UK the American reviews for the second book and the box set show up, but not for the first one.

message 22: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn R.  Bradley (cbrad) | 1 comments I would love to know if anyone else has suffered from a technical fault from Amazon. Yes really! My last but one book gained a one star revue simply because the person who bought a 'Kindle version' stated that she could not download it. As no one else has reported this problem and appears to have easily downloaded (including me), I was at a loss but thought it very unfair that my book should be low rated because of some unexplained problem that had nothing to do with me. I have written to Amazon twice about this but they simply dismiss it and say the rating/comment is within their guidelines.

message 23: by Karla (new)

Karla Jay | 3 comments W. wrote: "Amazon gives and Amazon takes away.
Blessed is the Mighty Amazon and benevolent and mysterious its many internal workings."

Funny, and alas, so true!

message 24: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Just happened to notice this morning all my review numbers have returned to their previous state. So, whatever was going on seems to be worked out, now.

message 25: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 23 comments Matthew wrote: "Karla wrote: "Dwayne,
I agree with you about the way authors gamed the system. I'm not sure the idea that one must pay $50 on Amazon before they can review is what I was disagreeing with. One of my..."

I've had the same problem - reviews rejected because I haven't spent $50. If you buy something that should automatically give you the right to review it!

message 26: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Rita wrote: "I've had the same problem - reviews rejected because I haven't spent $50. If you buy something that should automatically give you the right to review it!"

You can. You can review on Goodreads. There may be other book review sites. I'm not sure. You could set up a blog and do book reviews or do YouTube videos of book review or review it on Facebook, etc. No one is stopping you from reviewing a book.

Amazon wants honest, quality reviews. They do what they can to steer clear of people posting phony reviews. When it comes to books, again the sad news is we Indies have shot ourselves in the foot over this by not following the guidelines, so they've had to make things tougher. It's their web site. It's their reputation. They have the right to decide who can and who cannot leave reviews, not you.