Great African Reads discussion

Quarterly Nonfiction > Jul-Sep 2020 | Book Selection: Climate Change in Africa

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

Tinea (pist) | 406 comments Mod
The subject area for our nonfiction read for July through September 2020 is Climate Change in Africa. What book should we read as a group? Do you have any articles, syllabi, or other links to share about the subject to help us choose a group read?

Timeline:
- Now until 15 May: Suggest books here! Please respond with a "second" for a book recommendation you like. If the list of suggested books gets over 5, I'll only add to the poll those with a second supporter.
- 16-31 May: Vote on a group read!
- 1 July - 30 September: Read and discuss!

Plenty of time to do some research for this topic. I built in extra time for finding books after the vote, too, as I suspect we may have to do some searching.

message 2: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

Here are a few early ideas:
- Climate Change in Africa - From Zed Books in the African Arguments series, which is usually a great place to start on any topic
- Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence - Only partially focused on Africa. A punchy argument about structurally unequal impacts of climate change, with the burden of scarcity and conflict falling on the countries that didn't contribute, and rich countries already hardening borders against climate refugees.
- IFPRI series on climate change (West, Southern, East Africa)- This is a monster set of 3 science and policy focused books, but could be interesting to read chapters on a few countries.
- List of books from the UN including Climate Change Adaptation in Africa: An Historical Ecology and Climate Change and Human Development

message 3: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

It is nearly time to select a book on Climate Change and Africa! I've posted a few ideas above, but does anyone else have something to recommend? I'll post the poll mid-week.

message 4: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 802 comments Mod
Thanks for this reminder Tinea! I don't have additional titles to suggest, Looking forward to read one of the books you mentioned before.

message 5: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

Great!

Which nonfiction book on Climate Change in Africa do you want to read for July-August-September 2020? Poll is up! Go vote!

message 6: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 802 comments Mod
We have two winners again: Climate Change and Human Development and Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence. Shall we read both (free choice)?

In that case I think I'll read the second one as it is more accessible.

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) | 299 comments I have a copy of Climate Change and Human Development so will be more likely to pick that one up.

message 8: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (last edited Jul 03, 2020 09:17AM) (new)

Thanks, Wim!

I've opened the book discussion thread to share more resources and our thoughts.

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) | 299 comments I am still waiting on my copy of Climate Change and Human Development. I just received a message from the publisher that it is on back order. Hope I will still receive it in time for this reading quarter.

message 10: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

Oof! This was a harder one than expected to find books for. I really thought there would be more options out there. I did put some links in the book discussion thread in case you'd like to check out some recent research.