Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > Marketing a Series?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 240 comments Just wanted to pick everyone's brain about the most successful tactics for marketing a series? My primary work is a superhero/mystery series that's currently four books (and a short novella prequel) in, and because the books tie in closely together (it's not like a James Patterson or Kathy Reichs series where each book is unrelated to the last), I've been marketing the first book in the series, Bounty, heavily, while not putting not nearly as much effort in the others (the only different is the novella, Boundless, which I also offer for free to anyone who signs up for my newsletter).

Part of the reason I don't push the subsequent books is because I'm not anticipating people who haven't read Bounty to buy them first. I push Bounty in the hopes that book entices people to buy the rest of the series (hit or miss, really, but that's because sales overall are... what's below meh?).

Just wanna see if I should maybe work on pushing the other books in the series more? I have specific graphics for each book, and I have graphics that plug the series as a whole, but when it comes to single-book promotion, I push the first one much harder than the rest.

message 2: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 694 comments Mod
I can't help you much with that because I'm not even done with my first book but have you thought about making promotion for #2 shortly after a promotion for #1 to entice people who read #1 to continue?
Just an idea.
Anyway, if your books are a series that follows one after another and not separate, focusing on #1 makes the most sense to me. Personally, if I see a recommendation for book #7 of 15, I don't really pay attention to it the same way I would if it was #1 of 15. And I'd pay even less attention to an ad about a book deeper in a series.

Again, just my thoughts.

message 3: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer | 843 comments According to the gurus, you are on the right track. Use the novella as your magnet for the series and your email list. When they sign up, give them the first book for free as a bonus. Hopefully, they will read them and buy the others.

Another tactic is to do a box set where they get them for less than if they were buying each one separately. If each book is $5 and you had four book, sell the box set for $15. Point out they are getting one free book and if you are including the novella, add that it is a bonus.

What I (and those who do this all the time) do not recommend is selling the box set for $0.99 like some do. When I see that, my first thought is that they can't even give away their work it's so poorly done and will pass it over. I know I will pay $15 for a good series. I may not read them all if they start to get stale (like the Outlander series....by book 5 they weren't holding my attention)

If you are doing a long series like Terry Goodkind did with the sword of truth series, you can box them in sets of 3. And yeah, I have all but one of those books and have read the all. I liked the sets of three because I could get through the three with out feeling like I was overwhelmed with 15 books. I may have paid more for them, but I felt it was worth it as the books were good, kept me entertained and when I was finished with the 3, I could take a break then get the next three and read them which is exactly what I did.

Hope that helps.

message 4: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4310 comments Mod
Comment deleted. No self-promotion. No links.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments I dropped the ball on this. I haven't even written books 2 and 3 of The Wax Factory series and my first book has no reviews on Amazon. I suppose in some ways it's a good thing but it depends on how you wanna look at it.

message 6: by W. (new)

W. Boutwell | 157 comments "Another tactic is to do a box set where they get them for less than if they were buying each one separately."
I have been looking around to create a box set for my first three books. My current publisher is not interested because the first book I indie published. I was looking to create a slip-cover for the set myself but could not find a supplier. Any suggestions?

message 7: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 23 comments I've just combined my series into an ebook. That way you don't have to worry about the box!

message 8: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer | 843 comments W, By slip cover, I'm guessing you mean the cover for the box. That is one thing I can't help you with. I know that the e-book covers can be done by any graphic artist to fit the series using the covers you have. If you have paperback's I'm not sure since the ones I have were traditionally published by other authors.