Play Book Tag discussion

The Woman in the Window
This topic is about The Woman in the Window
January 2020: Thriller > The Woman in the Window/Finn - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Meh.

This book might deserve three stars for the writing itself; the short chapters were written in an engaging style. But if two stars = "it's okay", then that's what it is getting from me.

Too boring. Too long. Too unbelievable. No relatable, well drawn characters except for one of the detectives. And worst of all, a zillion references to old movies.

By the denouement I was practically rooting against the protagonist. I didn't care in the least if she died. Or not.

The first "twist" was at least well set up and believable to me. Except for the HIPAA violations involved, lol. The second was a huge stretch with really no clues that would lead the reader to go, "wow, a surprise, but I see it now." My reaction was more, "seriously?"

I definitely thought The Girl on the Train was better and Gone Girl much better.

KateNZ | 2332 comments I don’t think either of us would be rushing to read anything else he comes up with, lol!

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments KateNZ wrote: "I don’t think either of us would be rushing to read anything else he comes up with, lol!"

Goodness, no. I really expected and wanted to like this one too.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments You have confirmed for me that it was a good decision to take it off my TBR.

Meli (melihooker) | 3249 comments Same and same and same!

I liked the old movie references and this made me want to hole up into my house and drink to excess... no bueno!

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Lol, Meli!

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments How do books like this become best sellers?

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments I had just checked that out and am so glad you saved me from a non-compelling read. So much out there that we can afford to go for the best.

message 9: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 558 comments Glad I returned it to the library and selected another "thriller!"

message 10: by Meli (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meli (melihooker) | 3249 comments That's a good question, Susie. I think most people like fast-paced, easy thrillers? Some of it is probably oversaturation of advertising and hype. People don't have to like it, just buy it and borrow it (I guess).

KateNZ | 2332 comments I agree it’s a good question.

My own (admittedly very cynical) impression was that this book was specifically designed to bring together elements that have proved commercially successful at the moment and with movie rights very much in mind (including all the old movie references - that will play out so well on screen, no?). There’s nothing wrong with tapping into themes that people have demonstrated that they like, and this was competently done, but I prefer things that tell me something new about the world. The whole thing smacked of a marketing construct. The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get with it.

message 12: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I am so torn! There is not a single trusted review leading me to believe that I will like this book. And yet I feel so out of the loop because I haven’t suffered through it too! Lol

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8529 comments Never went on my list - Ms. Picky Picky!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5803 comments Well I liked it pretty well - 4****
I was rating based on its being a thriller than held my attention and kept me turning pages ( or changing CDs ... since I was listening to the audio in my car).

My review HERE

LibraryCin | 8335 comments I bought it at some point (would have been a sale), and I am planning to read it this month. I am still expecting to enjoy it (well, I certainly hope so!).

message 16: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5781 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Well I liked it pretty well - 4****
I was rating based on its being a thriller than held my attention and kept me turning pages ( or changing CDs ... since I was listening to the audio in my car)...."

So you are driving in your car you need something interesting and compelling to listen to and I understand that.

On the other hand from my perspective, I love a good thriller, but I don't read them much and I never read once with much discussion because I feel that I already have a handle on them before I even read them. I never read Gone Girl or any of the copies. I don't like that one twist that I know is coming and avoid those books. I am also not a fan of it is the evil woman, because, well it happens, but pretty rarely in real life.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5229 comments I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. I knew nothing about it before I read it and I think that helped. I'm really hit or miss when it comes to this type of thriller. They're never realistic. The classic films were a plus for me, but they're not for everyone.

message 18: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7488 comments Nicole R wrote: "I am so torn! There is not a single trusted review leading me to believe that I will like this book. And yet I feel so out of the loop because I haven’t suffered through it too! Lol"

Go on Nicole-read it, please! You are due for a a good "ranting" reveiw! LoL

message 19: by Joanne (last edited Jan 13, 2020 05:44AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7488 comments Booknblues wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Well I liked it pretty well - 4****
I was rating based on its being a thriller than held my attention and kept me turning pages ( or changing CDs ... since I was listening t..."

Your mention of Gone Girl and Girl on The Train reminds me why I void this genre/type of book. Just not my cup of tea

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments So fun reading everyone's comments - - both the good and the bad.

I've certainly enjoyed thrillers in the past, but I do feel like my taste has been evolving a lot . . .so when I crave that roller coaster feeling in my reading, I really think I'm happier with say, Stephen King, or a true adventure story (aka Into Thin Air) or true crime, than I am with most genre fiction. But I think this is new and not sure why or how one's tastes actually morph.

Honestly, I can see how this book might be a lot better as an audio book where a gifted actor could make it so much more scary and possibly make the protagonist seem more sympathetic.

I actually did find the "backstory" of the husband and daughter to be interesting, but sadly it really was a subplot and not the main storyline.

message 21: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6690 comments Nicole R wrote: "I am so torn! There is not a single trusted review leading me to believe that I will like this book. And yet I feel so out of the loop because I haven’t suffered through it too! Lol"

While I disliked Gone Girl - thought it seriously over-hyped. Was unimpressed by Girl on the Train, although liked it a whole lot more than Gone Girl. So when this one came along... I said 'NOPE!"

I do like Ruth Ware's books -- I like how she takes traditional mystery/thriller devices and updates them, turns them on their head.

Hahtoolah | 422 comments I read this about a year ago. I was flying, so it kept me entertained during my flight, but had I been home, I probably wouldn't have finished it. A movie based on this novel is being released in the Spring.

Susan Lewallen (susanlewallen) | 479 comments I didn't like it either. Kind of wish I had the few hours I spent on it back now.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5803 comments I also recommend looking up the author on Google. His story is also full of twists and turns ....

KateNZ | 2332 comments You mean he sounds like a pathological liar - he could have been the inspiration for ‘A Ladder to the Sky’ ... ! (Which is roughly a hundred times better than his own book, lol)

message 26: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments I'm with BC. I really enjoyed this while it lasted even if it hasn't 'stayed' with me much. For some reason, I'm loving reading all the hate this book is getting, haha. I think if they had taken away a twist or two at the end it would have been more believable and manageable for the reader.

I think it might be better as a "beginners thriller" for those who haven't read many others? I'm thinking that's why it is so popular. A lot of us have read so many thrillers (and better) that its a tough competition. I have a few friends that aren't readers that read this and LOVED it...

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments My very close friend, an English lit major, loved it! Maybe you have to be in the mood?

I don't know the author's story. i will check that out . . .

message 28: by Meli (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meli (melihooker) | 3249 comments I think mood can have a lot to do with it. This was a little long for me, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it necessarily. On the beach in summer, maybe feelin it a little more than I did when I read it.

I agree with Joi though, too much twistin.

I knew about his personal story after I bought the book and before I read it. That could've hindered my enjoyment knowing he was a fraud and sounds like a douche.

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments KateNZ wrote: "You mean he sounds like a pathological liar - he could have been the inspiration for ‘A Ladder to the Sky’ ... ! (Which is roughly a hundred times better than his own book, lol)"

Omg, I just read the New Yorker piece about Finn. Now I'm kinda sorry I forked over my money to this person . . .

LibraryCin | 8335 comments Joi wrote: "I'm with BC. I really enjoyed this while it lasted even if it hasn't 'stayed' with me much. For some reason, I'm loving reading all the hate this book is getting, haha. I think if they had taken aw..."

I'm almost done (should finish today). As I suspected (unless something goes very wrong at the very end), I've really liked it and it will likely get 4 stars from me. :-)

Someone else mentioned looking up the author after, as well. I will do that after.

message 31: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Joi wrote: "I'm with BC. I really enjoyed this while it lasted even if it hasn't 'stayed' with me much. For some reason, I'm loving reading all the hate this book is getting, haha. I think if they ..."

Very curious what you'll think of the ending!

message 32: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I had this book from the library for three weeks and just couldn't bring myself to read it, so I officially took it off my TBR!

Anita, like you, a woman that I work with who is very much into high brow fiction normally and really likes to think deep about books loved this one! Perhaps she liked it so much because it is not her normal genre?