Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

2020 Wheel of Historical Mystery > Barbara's Wheel of Mystery

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments I have never tried this before but it seems like a great way to find new historical mysteries to read.

Wedge # 1: Bonus!
Book chosen: Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge Barbara!

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Thanks, Lauren!

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Wedge # 1: Bonus
Book chosen: Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas
Date finished reading: January 17, 2020

This Victorian-era mystery takes place in London. The author does a lovely job of portraying London at the time, including plenty of detail. The main characters are well drawn and the mystery itself was excellent. The identify of the murderer was a total surprise--although looking back, I realized the author had dropped some substantial clues. All in all a good read.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Wedge # 2: Historical Mysteries 2016
Book chosen: Murder Most Malicious by Alyssa Maxwell

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Wedge # 2: Historical Mysteries 2016
Book chosen: Murder Most Malicious by Alyssa Maxwell
Date finished reading: January 20, 2020

A very entertaining mystery. I picked who I wanted to be the murderer and got it wrong, but I was in the ballpark re the motive. I liked the two main characters -- Lady Phoebe and her maid, Eva -- who make a great team. Lots of good stuff about the changes in society following WWI.

message 7: by Barbara (last edited Feb 02, 2020 06:44PM) (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Wedge # 3 Mysteries with Literary Authors
Book chosen: The Tale of Hilltop Farm by Susan Wittig Albert
Date finished: 1/28/20

message 8: by Barbara (last edited Feb 02, 2020 06:45PM) (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments I loved The Tale of Hilltop Farm! It was a bit slow starting, but proved to be such a charming story that I immediately bought the next in the series. The main character is Beatrix Potter. There is lots of interesting info about her life, as well as about the Lake District in England where she bought a farm. Also, a fun bonus was seeing the thoughts of various animals, who know things about the mystery that the humans don't. All in all, lots of fun and very much a comfort read.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Spin # 4 – Historical mysteries 2019

Book chosen: Who’s Sorry Now by Maggie Robinson

message 10: by Barbara (last edited Feb 24, 2020 05:38PM) (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Spin# 4 Historical Mysteries 2019

Who's Sorry Now by Maggie Robinson

Date finished... Feb 18, 2020

This is the second in the Lady Adelaide series, which takes place in the Roaring 20s. I enjoyed it so much that as soon as I finished it, I bought the first in the series. The third comes out this summer.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Spin # 5 - Lose a Turn!
Would someone please choose a mystery for me to read from the following list:

Edinburgh Dusk by Carole Lawrence
Thirty-Three Teeth by Colin Cotterill
The Sans Pareil Mystery by Karen Charlton
Death and the Harlot by Georgina Clarke
The Spotted Dog by Kerry Greenwood

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments I read both books that were recommended...The Sans Pareil Mystery and Thirty-Three Teeth. I don't remember when I finished them... I got distracted by reading some romances and some other stuff. But now I'm back to mysteries and will spin again!

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Spin # 6 - Sleuths in Silks! I'm going to read #6 in the Phryne Fisher series, Blood and Circuses. I love these stories -- they're fun, easy reads despite tackling some heavy subjects.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Obviously, I'm hopeless at keeping track! I finished Phryne book 6 and then got # 7 and read that. Now off to spin again.

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Now I got Lose a Turn again. Please pick one for me from this list:

Devil's Food by Kerry Greenwood
Death and Judgment by Donna Leon
Edinburgh Dusk by Carole Lawrence
Into Thin Eire by Sheri Cobb South

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments I read Devil's Food by Kerry Greenwood. It was an excellent read like all her other books (except that all the talk of delicious bread and muffins is so tempting...LOL.).

message 17: by Barbara (last edited Jun 15, 2020 03:26PM) (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Spin # 8: Best Historical Crime Fiction
Date 6/10/20
Book chosen: The Silver Pigs by Lindsay Davis
This is a reread. I love this series.

Finished reread on 6/12.

message 18: by Barbara (last edited Jun 15, 2020 03:39PM) (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Spin # 9 was another Lose a Turn, so I choose Death and the Harlot by Georgina Clarke, which has been on my Kindle for a while now. I'm glad I chose it! It was an excellent story. I guessed the murderer -- but it was a wild guess, and I had no idea about why until it was explained. I will read more in this series.

Started 6/13, finished 6/15/20

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments As usual, I'm way behind. Since my last post, I read the first three books in the Lady Fan series by Elizabeth Bailey. Very well written and researched stories! I have two more waiting on my Kindle.

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Spin # 10: Sleuths in Silks

Raisins and Almonds by Kerry Greenwood.

Started 7/20, finished 7/23

Her Phryne Fisher books are always fun!

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 80 comments Spin # 11: Bonus

Actually, I mixed up 10 and 11. For my bonus spin, which I read earlier in July, I chose:

Blood of a Gladiator by Ashley Gardner

I loved it! All her mysteries are excellent and this was no exception. I hope she writes more in this series. (There is also a novella in this series. It's in Past Crimes, a compilation of three novellas, each from one of her mystery series.)