Play Book Tag discussion

Sense and Sensibility
This topic is about Sense and Sensibility
Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Sense and Sensibility | Jane Austen | 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Idit (last edited Jan 12, 2020 12:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Idit | 1028 comments Sense and Sensibility
From a blurb:
Jane Austen’s first published novel, Sense and Sensibility is a wonderfully entertaining tale of flirtation and folly that revolves around two starkly different sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. While Elinor is thoughtful, considerate, and calm, her younger sister is emotional and wildly romantic. Both are looking for a husband, but neither Elinor’s reason nor Marianne’s passion can lead them to perfect happiness.
Startling secrets, unexpected twists, and heartless betrayals interrupt the marriage games that follow. Filled with satiric wit and subtle characterizations, Sense and Sensibility teaches that true love requires a balance of reason and emotion.

I imagine Jane Austen as the Mozart of the 19th century authors. There’s something delightful, light and refreshing about her books, but its still genious.
This book is not perfect. Mr Willoughby defence of himself is a bit bizzare, and the ending seem rushed. But it is still wonderful.
Austen super power of delicate and accurate character description and dialouge is present, as is her sense of humor and it is a great satire of the upper class and their greedy and petty search for marriage (and friendship) as a business prospect.

Theresa | 6128 comments I reread this recently and enjoyed it so much. I agree with you.