Play Book Tag discussion

The Late Show (Renée Ballard, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #29)
This topic is about The Late Show
January 2020: Thriller > [Poll ballot] The Late Show, by Michael Connelly, 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5563 comments The Late Show by Michael Connelly, is the first book in the Renee Ballard series (in the Harry Bosch universe). I really enjoyed this thriller featuring a female detective. I liked the dynamics between some of the characters, the twists and turns in the cases, and the ultimate resolutions. Renee Ballard is an LAPD Detective working the night shift, aka ‘the Late Show.’ She was moved to this unit (as a punishment) after filing a sexual harassment complaint against her former supervisor. (I have a feeling this plotline will continue to develop). She is frustrated on this shift because she doesn’t get the satisfaction of seeing her cases to the end. She is expected to turn her cases over to the morning shift each day. She figures out a way to hold onto two interesting cases in this story, one of which may be linked to the killing of her former mentor. The other is a transgender prostitute who was beaten and left for dead. Renee is semi-homeless by choice, and she spends a lot of her free time paddling a surfboard. Her time in the water gave the book some relaxing and introspective moments which worked well in this fast-paced thriller. I plan to read more in this series.

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Nice review

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5563 comments Thanks David

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2502 comments Great recommendation, thanks. I haven’t read any of the Harry Bosch books either, but keep meaning to get to them - I love those series where the characters really develop as you go along.

message 5: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments KateNZ wrote: "Great recommendation, thanks. I haven’t read any of the Harry Bosch books either, but keep meaning to get to them - I love those series where the characters really develop as you go along."

Let me second the recommendation on this. Connelly is an excellent writer and this is a great series. I haven't read enough of them, I'm behind!

annapi | 5068 comments Michael Connelly is my favorite of the mystery thriller writers. You should give his books a try!