Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta reader available

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (last edited Jan 16, 2020 12:32PM) (new)

Carolyn | 7 comments UPDATE: Thank you to everyone that reached out to me. My schedule is now full. I'll post a new offer when my calendar opens up.

Hi. My name is Carolyn. I am an experienced proofreader and copyeditor, but I also offer free beta reading to first-time clients because I love to read and am always excited to help an author perfect their manuscript. Although I'm open to reading most genres, my favorites are historical fiction, mysteries, and thrillers.

I currently have two slots open for January and four for February.

Message me or check out my website at www.proof2printediting.com.

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo Monson | 1 comments Hello Carolyn
What an amazing offer. I am a first time novelist with a completed manuscript with the title: "Stop at Nothing". It is a mystery-thriller set in South Africa around a prestigious boys rugby school. Currently 68 000. Would you be willing/able to beta read?
Warmly
Jo Monson

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Carolyn, I'm also a first time novelist. I have a historical fiction novel with an interwoven love story set in ancient Babylon and Egypt. It has 1342 pages. Would you want to take it on?
Thank you,
Deb Hoffmann Knowles

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 14 comments Hi Carolyn, what a generous offer! I'm a first-time author looking for a beta reader, wondering if you would be interested in looking over my book. It's a ~109,000-word science fiction novel. The blurb is:

61 percent of earthlings believe in alien life, no one thinks they live next door.

Jance is a friendly but snarky, sarcastic high school student who doesn't pay attention in class. All his life, he has believed specific irrefutable facts. The sky is blue. Vending machines kill more people annually than sharks. The population of cows in his hometown dwarfs the population of people. His father is a human being.

Turns out, that last fact isn't as irrefutable as he thought.

One day, a mysterious girl named Sammy shows up at Jance's house to inform him his dad is an alien. Initially, Jance has his doubts, both about his father's other-worldly origins and Sammy's sanity. But then his father conjures a ball of fire.

Now Jance will be flung into a world he had no idea existed. A world in which alien visitation, anarchist conspiracies, energy manipulation, and intergalactic war are just another Tuesday. He will be taught to fully utilize his abilities by Sammy, an alien herself who seems to despise everything. Especially Jance.

Disaster strikes when a single individual begins to violently rob military bases of their nuclear material. Things go from bad to worse when fluctuations in the earth’s gravitational field suggest a change in human history. Jance and his team will have to race to solve the robberies before history changes, permanently. Will Jance be able to find and stop this hidden threat and save reality before it is too late?

message 5: by Thea T. (new)

Thea T. Kelley (theatkelley) Hi Andrew,

Your book sounds good! I too am a first-time novelist with a speculative fiction book of about the same length. Are you interested in a beta reading swap? We could start with first chapters if you're not sure. My book has an 11-year-old protagonist but is written for adults.

Here's my synopsis:

In a small town amid the sagebrush hills of California, 11-year-old Annwyn’s strange Gift becomes a catalyst for uncanny forces that magnify family and community conflicts, putting her in profound danger. When her parents are unable to help, she reaches out to an unlikely source: a local Basque sheep herder with troubles of his own. To find a solution they will need to transcend space and time, finding that their lives and powers are linked in a way they would never have imagined.

message 6: by Aiden (new)

Aiden Callaway | 11 comments Hello, Carolyn. if you still have a slot available, I am a first time novelist with a ~100k word book in the urban fantasy, mystery genre about a boy who can see spirits (and the like) and the hidden underbelly of society. It takes place in Japan.

Thank you for your consideration,
Aiden

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 14 comments Thea T. wrote: "Hi Andrew,

Your book sounds good! I too am a first-time novelist with a speculative fiction book of about the same length. Are you interested in a beta reading swap? We could start with first cha..."

Hey Thea,
Sure thing, shoot me a message so we can work out the details.

-Andrew

message 8: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Hi! I’m a new author and I’m looking for someone to beta read my paranormal mystery novel, MORA’S MIND.

Mora witnessed people murdered in her head. Now they are dying in real life too, unless she can save them.

With only a small journal full of unjust memories, Moras began a self-imposed mission to save the victims of her past from their future fates. When the next victim on the list is revealed, a clean cut business man with a mysterious edge, Moras task becomes more complicated than ever before. With an endless list of suspects and a short window of time, Mora doesn’t know if she can save this man from his ill-fated death, but she’s going to give it hell.

Will her memories be enough to save him?

It currently sits at 60k words, but I’m looking for insight on plot development and description ideas to enhance and increase the word count! Any helpful insights are greatly appreciated! Please let me know if you are interested! Thank you for reading!