Audiobooks discussion

The Canterbury Tales
This topic is about The Canterbury Tales
Buddy Reads > The Canterbury Tales

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (mcfitzsatx) | 92 comments Cosmic Arcata and I are going to give this one a try, and we'd love to have company. This is Peter Ackroyd's audiobook version of the classic, to make it more accessible for modern readers (and listeners). It's available on Audible at https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Canter.... If you'd like to grab a ride with us, we'll be leaving in a few weeks! Timeline: the end of January and/or in February.

Goodreads link (without a cover): https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 2: by Cosmic (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments Looking forward to this!! Thank you for putting this together!!

message 3: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3649 comments I'll be following your discussion... I don't have the version you referenced but figure a re-telling might be interesting even second hand. ;)

message 4: by Cosmic (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments I wonder if you have purchased the Canterbury Tales that we agreed to read?

I have been listening to it.

It is not the best in my opinion.

I have quite a few versions. One I bought yesterday on Kindle was from Dover. The one I bought today is better than all that I have read or listened to by Penguin books.

Where is an example of the prologue from Dover:
THE PROLOGUE
Here begins the Book of the Tales of Canterbury
When April with his showers sweet with fruit
The drought of March has pierced unto the root
And bathed each vein with liquor that has power
To generate therein and sire the flower;
When Zephyr also has, with his sweet breath,
Quickened again, in every holt and heath,
The tender shoots and buds, and the young sun
Into the Ram one half his course has run,
And many little birds make melody
That sleep through all the night with open eye
(So Nature pricks them on to ramp and rage)—
Then do folk long to go on pilgrimage,

Penguin books

The Prologue
When in April the sweet showers fall
And pierce the drought of March to the root, and all
The veins are bathed in liquor of such power
As brings about the engendering of the flower,
When also Zephyrus with his sweet breath
Exhales an air in every grove and heath
Upon the tender shoots, and the young sun
His half-course in the sign of the Ram has run,
And the small fowl are making melody
That sleep away the night with open eye
(So nature pricks them and their heart engages)
Then people long to go on pilgrimages

I listened to the one that audible sold me! Last night we had a noise outside that i need to drown! And i felt that he was talking down to me. Like telling the jest of the story, without the beauty of the words.

I have to go... But tell me what you think

message 5: by Cosmic (last edited Jan 15, 2020 07:07PM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments The Canterbury Tales: A Retelling

Here is the same passage from the book we are reading for this buddy read.
The General Prologue Here bygynneth the Book of the Tales of Caunterbury When the soft sweet showers of April reach the roots of all things, refreshing the parched earth, nourishing every sapling and every seedling, then humankind rises up in joy and expectation. The west wind blows away the stench of the city, and the crops flourish in the fields beyond the walls. After the waste of winter it is delightful to hear birdsong once more in the streets. The trees themselves are bathed in song. It is a time of renewal, of general restoration. The sun has passed midway through the sign of the Ram, a good time for the sinews and the heart. This is the best season of the year for travellers. That is why good folk then long to go on pilgrimage. They journey to strange shores and cities, seeking solace among the shrines of the saints. Here in England many make their way to Canterbury, and to the tomb of the holy blissful martyr Thomas. They come from every shire to find a cure for infirmity and care.

At first a little put off I am going to embrace it for what it is and read both this book and
The Canterbury Tales

message 6: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1085 comments Cosmic wrote: "I wonder if you have purchased the Canterbury Tales that we agreed to read?

I have been listening to it.

It is not the best in my opinion.

I have quite a few versions. One I bought yesterday on ..."

I definitely prefer the Dover version, it seems more melodic. The Penguin one has lines of different length, which is jarring. The prose one is ok too. After you listen, you might enjoy finding on the web someone reading a small part of the book, such as the prologue, in the original Old English pronunciation.

When I was about 10, our library had a children's version of The Canterbury Tales with wonderful illustrations. It was a large format book and the stories were pretty detailed, though of course any sexual content (of which there is some) would have been removed.

message 7: by Cosmic (last edited Jan 17, 2020 03:14PM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments That reminds me that i have an illustrated book,alas it is in storage. But if i can get there again soon i will pick it up to.
The Canterbury Tales
With
Charlton Griffin reading.
It was the first edition i purchased. I just couldn't get into his delivery. Last night i thought i would give it another shot. What i didn't like was hire fast he read. So i slowed it down to .75. That was much better and i even liked the version.

message 8: by Cosmic (last edited Jan 17, 2020 10:04PM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments Between Dover and Penguin, i preferred the Penguin version better.

For me Dover said things backwards and the hard way. But i think it is interesting for you it didn't feel that way!!

I found out that this one is Penguin's edition

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Canter...

message 9: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (mcfitzsatx) | 92 comments Sorry Cosmic, I've been out of pocket for a bit. I did get the "Retelling" version but haven't started it yet. If you'd rather get the Penguin version, I can exchange the one I got (I think).

message 10: by Cosmic (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments I know you can!!

I like Penguin version better but i am not legalistic. My goal is to read the canterbury tales. I am not interested in reading it in old english, so a translation is going to be my option.

I don't care if you read it in a different version.

Since we are discussing it let me compare them.

Also i would love to know why you wanted to read this book!!

message 11: by Cosmic (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments My first criticism of the book by Peter Ackroyd, Audible, is that he wrote this in prose and the reader is reading it in verse. It is like listening to a first grade read a novel. Every time he gets to a coma he stops at it like a period. The story doesn't flow. I feel like a first grade teacher listening a student. It is painful.

Second
" His tunic was embroidered with flowers, white and red and blue; ".
The Penguin retelling says "red and white". This makes sense to me, since these are the crusades we are talking about. I don't remember anyone wearing blue that was in armour.

Third
Compare this:
He wore the furred hood and robe of his profession; the robe, lined with silk, had the vertical red and purple stripes that proclaim the man of physic. Yet despite appearances he was not a big spender. He saved most of what he earned from his practice. The good doctor loved gold. Gold is the sovereign remedy, after all. It is the best medicine.

To this:
In blood-red garments, slashed with bluish grey
And lined with taffeta, he rode his way;
Yet he was rather close as to expenses
And kept the gold he won in pestilences.
Gold stimulates the heart, or so we’re told.
He therefore had a special love of gold.

The Canterbury Tales is supposed to be a satire. Which sounds more satirical?

Another example about the Miller:
Peter Ackroyd:
His beard was as red as a sow’s tit or a fox’s tail; it was broad enough, too, to pass as a shovel. There was a great wart on the top right of his nose, with a tuft of hairs growing from it as thick as from a pig’s ear; his nostrils were wide, like two great pits, and his mouth was as big as a cauldron. He carried a sword and a small shield by his side. He seemed to distrust or dislike me, and narrowed his eyes when he looked at me.....

He knew how to steal grain from the sacks, and charge three times the amount he should. In truth I do not think I have ever met an honest miller. He wore a white coat and a blue hood. He got out his bagpipes, as we passed the boundary of the city, and played a tune.

Penguin:

His beard, like any sow or fox, was red
And broad as well, as though it were a spade;
And, at its very tip, his nose displayed
A wart on which there stood a tuft of hair
Red as the bristles in an old sow’s ear.
His nostrils were as black as they were wide.
He had a sword and buckler at his side,
His mighty mouth was like a furnace door....

His was a master-hand at stealing grain.
He felt it with his thumb and thus he knew
Its quality and took three times his due –
A thumb of gold, by God, to gauge an oat!
He wore a hood of blue and a white coat.
He liked to play his bagpipes up and down
And that was how he brought us out of town.

Idioms
Fox
https://www.phrases.com/psearch/fox

Sow

https://www.phrases.com/phrase/make-a...
Wart
https://www.phrases.com/psearch/Wart

Nostrils
https://www.phrases.com/psearch/nostrils

Thumb

https://www.phrases.com/phrase/green-...

https://www.phrases.com/phrase/under-...

I like this one https://www.phrases.com/phrase/thumb-...

bagpipes reminded me of the pied piper

message 12: by Cosmic (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments If you were ok with it,why don't we start a thread on The Canterbury Tales

If you can find the audio book that is better, i am not very good with figuring out how to get that link.

message 13: by Cosmic (last edited Jan 19, 2020 06:16AM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philo...
The term "philology" is derived from the Greek φιλολογία (philología),[6] from the terms φίλος (phílos) "love, affection, loved, beloved, dear, friend" and λόγος (lógos) "word, articulation, reason", describing a love of learning, of literature, as well as of argument and reasoning, reflecting the range of activities included under the notion of λόγος. The term changed little with the Latin philologia, and later entered the English language in the 16th century, from the Middle French philologie, in the sense of "love of literature".

The adjective φιλόλογος (philólogos) meant "fond of discussion or argument, talkative", in Hellenistic Greek, also implying an excessive ("sophistic") preference of argument over the love of true wisdom, φιλόσοφος (philósophos).

As an allegory of literary erudition, philologia appears in fifth-century postclassical literature (Martianus Capella, De nuptiis Philologiae et Mercurii), an idea revived in Late Medieval literature (Chaucer, Lydgate).

message 14: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (mcfitzsatx) | 92 comments Cosmic, I've finally begun this audiobook, the version narrated by Charlton Griffin and published by Audio Connoisseur. This is Ecker and Crook's translation from 1993, and I'm finding it much more fun than the previous choice, Ackroyd's "The Retelling." It's much more melodic and still easy to understand, and Griffin is a perfect choice, in my mind.

So far, I'm enjoying it. I'm remembering a little of this from so long ago in high school. The Knight's Tale was so traditional and aristocratic, and then we're hit with the bawdy story from The Miller's Tale. Such a difference! I'm on the Reeve's Tale now and will keep making notes as I go along.

message 15: by Cosmic (last edited Jan 27, 2020 08:35PM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments I just figured out that you kept the thread and just changed the book. I have been listening to the introduction. I got triggered when he mentioned something about Dryden, because i remembered i had a collection by him but had forgotten why. He translated some of Geoffrey Chaucer tales.

http://sites.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer...
So i downloaded the collection and nothing stood out at The Canterbury Tales. In audible introduction he mentioned Walter Scott

THE LIFE OF JOHN DRYDEN by Sir Walter Scott The world famous author Sir Walter Scott was a great admirer of Dryden’s poetry, particularly at a time when his genius was being called into question by poets such as William Wordsworth. A tireless researcher and antiquarian, Scott edited Dryden’s works in 18 volumes, as well as writing this detailed and comprehensive biography on the Restoration poet. Scott is also noted for famously calling Dryden ‘Glorious John’.

This is what he said about the style of writings and puns that i found interesting.

This peculiar taste for twisting and playing upon words, instead of applying them to their natural and proper use, was combined with the similar extravagance of those whom Dr. Johnson has entitled Metaphysical Poets. This class of authors used the same violence towards images and ideas which had formerly been applied to words; in truth, the two styles were often combined and, even when separate, had a kindred alliance with each other. It is the business of the punster to discover and yoke together two words, which, while they have some resemblance in sound, the more exact the better, convey a totally different signification. The metaphysical poet, on the other hand, piqued himself in discovering hidden resemblances between ideas apparently the most dissimilar, and in combining by some violent and compelled association, illustrations and allusions utterly foreign from each other. Thus did the metaphysical poet resemble the quibbler exercising precisely the same tyranny over ideas, which the latter practised upon sounds only. Jonson gave an early example of metaphysical poetry; indeed, it was the natural resource of a mind amply stored with learning, gifted with a tenacious memory and the power of constant labour, but to which was denied that vivid perception of what is naturally beautiful, and that happiness of expression, which at once conveys to the reader the idea of the poet These latter qualities unite in many passages of Shakespeare, of which the reader at once acknowledges the beauty, the justice, and the simplicity. But such Jonson was unequal to produce; and he substituted the strange, forced, and most unnatural though ingenious analogies, which were afterwards copied by Donne and Cowley. In reading Shakespeare, we often meet passages so congenial to our nature and feelings, that, beautiful as they are, we can hardly help wondering they did not occur to ourselves; in studying Jonson, we have often to marvel how his conceptions could have occurred to any human being. The one is like an ancient statue, the beauty of which, springing from the exactness of proportion does not always strike at first sight, but rises upon us as we bestow time in considering it; the other is the representation of a monster, which is at first only surprising, and ludicrous or disgusting ever after. When the taste for simplicity however, is once destroyed, it is long ere a nation recovers it; and the metaphysical poets seem to have retained possession of the public favour from the reign of James I. till the beginning of the Civil Wars silenced the muses. The universities were perhaps to blame during this period of usurpation; for which it may be admitted in excuse, that the metaphysical poetry could only be practised by men whose minds were deeply stored with learning, and who could boldly draw upon a large fund of acquired knowledge for supplying the expenditure of far-fetched and extravagant images, which their compositions required. The book of Nature is before all men; but when her limits are to be overstepped, the acquirement of adventitious knowledge becomes of paramount necessity; and it was but natural that Cambridge and Oxford should prize a style of poetry, to which depth of learning was absolutely indispensable.

message 16: by Cosmic (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments I just finished The Knight's Tale.

Some of the different things that were interesting to me were:
The color white and red. Both in the garland that Emily made and the temple of Diana, Alabaster and crimson coral. To me it reminds me of the crusades. The red cross.

And turn once more to speak of Theseus.
Now Destiny, that Minister-General
Who executes on earth and over all
What God, from everlasting, has foreseen,
Is of such strength, that though the world had been
Sure of the contrary, by Yea and Nay,
That thing will happen on a certain day,
Though never again within a thousand years.
And certainly our appetites and fears,
Whether in war or peace, in hate or love,
Are governed by a providence above.

I like this quote because I know that Chaucer studied Astrology. I think that he was aware that there are cycles. There are 1000 year cycles there are eleven year cycles. There are cycles of the sun as well as planets. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/na...

I personal did not grow up learning about Greek or Roman gods. It wasn't till i started reading literature that i have become interested in them. So I always find it interesting what Greek gods or mythology they refer to, to gain a bigger scope of the story. It takes a little but if time for me but it makes me feel that I understand that story being told.
Vv

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/D...

To be a stag 's destroyer, for the stars
Ruled he should serve Diana after Mars

The stag's destroyer is Theseus. I found this interesting because he is also the one that says the stage for war!! And they call this a theater, and we have an idiom called the Theater of war. But there is another reason and that it's because it reminds me of a book call Bambi: :a life in the woods by Felix Salten.

I looked up John Dryden's translation of the Knight's Tale and it really want to come back and read this again. There was a lot here to chew on and figure out! But if i dwell to long i won't get finished.
"Having,God knows, a larger field to plough."

message 17: by Cosmic (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments Jan wrote: "Cosmic, I've finally begun this audiobook, the version narrated by Charlton Griffin and published by Audio Connoisseur. This is Ecker and Crook's translation from 1993, and I'm finding it much more..."

This is the one i am also listening too. I like it a lot more this time! Thanks for doing a buddy read!!read
read
Today we camped just down from Humbug Mountain. We are on a cliff above the Pacific Ocean.ocean
ocean
Last weekend we had a very bad storm with 50 mile hour gust. It was difficult to concentrate with the trailer heaving.having
having
When my mind wandered i backed it up and listened again. Glad i did because i feel i got more out of it!!

message 18: by Cosmic (last edited Feb 01, 2020 12:56PM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments I am now reading the law(yer)'s tale.the
the
How are you doing?

Reading this book and reading the news is very entertaining!

message 19: by Cosmic (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments How are you doing with the Canterbury Tales. I have enjoyed it. I finished the man of law's tale. It was full of twist and reminded me of fairy tales.

message 20: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (mcfitzsatx) | 92 comments Cosmic, I am so sorry that I'm not keeping up. I will try harder. Things are a little crazy right now and I apologize for not being a good reading buddy!

message 21: by Cosmic (last edited Feb 04, 2020 09:01PM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments Hey that's ok! Don't stress! I have a lot of time and i am enjoying going at my own pace. At first i was behind and didn't know you had started.

I don't have a crazy life right now. Maybe around the 12th -17th it will get bust for me. It helps to have a quiet mind to get into the flow of these stories. Since you are not ahead of me I think I will listen to The Man of Law's Tale again. Sometimes when something isn't my favorite it is because I didn't really listen!

Thank you for writing because that is more important to me than a deadline!! I have all the time you need to finish this book!!

message 22: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (mcfitzsatx) | 92 comments I'm excited because I finally found an online version of this translation, so I can follow along while listening.
http://arequipa.byethost7.com/canterb...

I know what you mean about concentration, and that is what I lack right now. My sister is very ill and I haven't been feeling well myself. Not a good time to focus too much on a book, no matter how interesting.

message 23: by Cosmic (last edited Feb 05, 2020 11:10PM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments So in rereading The Man of Law's Tale i came across this:

Wretched girl, to fare so ill! And yet what matter?
Woman is a thrall Disposed and ruled over by men in all!’

No, not in Troy, when Pyrrhus broke the wall
And burnt down Ilium, nor in Thebes destroyed,
Nor yet in Rome when it was ripe to fall
To conquering Hannibal that had thrice enjoyed
The victory, was grief so unalloyed
As in her chamber when she made to go.
But go she must, whether she wept or no.

This doesn't say much to me because i don't really know anything about Hannibal. So i decided to learn some history.history
history. I found this series of videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF1zO...

It is interesting but i don't have a clue as to how women were in charge of men. But i am shocked at how many men and conditions these wars take. So if the men are fighting the women are in charge? If the men are getting killed then the woman become the head of the family?

I heard someone say that he thought the old testament of the bible was a strategy for war disguised as bible stories. So when i am reading the Canterbury i am thinking that perhaps there is more than meets the eye I these stories.

Some people read stories just for entertainment but i enjoy analysing them. Some classics turn around and make me analyses myself. This is what i like about a good classic!!

message 24: by Cosmic (last edited Feb 07, 2020 07:15PM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments I am glad you found a vision of the Canterbury Tales to follow while you read. Having something to look at helps me to follow the story better too.

I just edited this. I have been having problems with the way i had my kindle tablet (landscape) and typing. I couldn't see the text and stop sometimes i was writing jibberish😅

message 25: by Cosmic (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments Some interesting things i have been thinking (wish you would also share any thoughts as well) is the book i read before this one The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. In the beginning of the book they have a mystery play. Four people come on stage. All are dressed alike except for the materials used in the costume. The first is dressed in brocade, the second in silk, the third in wool and the fourth in linen. The first, they tell you is the, is royalty, the second is the church, the third is the merchant and the last is the worker. Hugo says that the royals and the church are wedded and the merchants and the peasants are wedded, together.together
together
I have thought a lot about this whole reading this story. Keeping in mind that this book was written when there was a class system. Actually the same time period that Hugo is writing the The Hunchback of Notre-Dame in.in
in
I spin wool and i also sew. So i know the properties and the time that is involved in these cloths. I think it is interesting that it was textiles that Hugo used to distinguish these classes. What does Geoffrey Chaucer use?

message 26: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (mcfitzsatx) | 92 comments Oh, Cosmic, I'm sorry I'm being such a bad reading buddy. This was not a good time for me to dig into such a project. I DO read your interesting posts and intend to finish this, but I am so busy with my sister right now, and my husband is getting ready to have back surgery, etc. etc. etc. Seriously, just bad timing.

I did see this link for an app if you want to hear the original Prologue in the authentic language: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/6...

message 27: by Cosmic (last edited Feb 08, 2020 05:55AM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments I am sorry!! These are huge things in your life. If my husband was having back surgery i wouldn't be able to concentrate either!! Fortunately he is able to move around better than me or we wouldn't be able to do this!! You remind me how thankful i should be.
Ok, I will continue reading and writing out my thoughts. So thank you for helping me read the book!! I am sure i must have needed to read it at this time! Before i met you it was not on my agenda immediately. I had tried it before and it didnt work as an audio for me. Fortunately it is working this time.
One of the things that i write was about how women are under men, he says,except at Troy or Hannibal

(Pause)
It is 4:30 AM at False Klamath
The https://www.moongiant.com/phase/today/ is "setting" in the west over the Pacific Ocean. We are sitting on the beach, off Hwy 101. Tide is going out but has been churning enough all night that tge waves are breaking and hitting the rocks below us. We are waiting for the moon to go down more on the horizon so we can get the ultimate photo!!

So back to women in power. I just wanted to say that later in the book i think he shows you a woman (Prudence) that is in "power" over her husband....or i should say what kind of woman is in power over her husband and how this contrast to war is apparent.

I wonder if you have read Anna Karenina?
I find his study of women/men and families facinating! But he also studies classes in that book as well and the relationship between the peasants and nobility and the landlord (which was more like Monsantos). These are also things that i think about while reading this.

One of the monks tells stories that would have been familiar to his hearers. They would have been more familiar to everyone nearly in America back in the 1960's when I was born. How things have changed. People have changed because their stories are different. Now it would be hard to find someone who didn't know Star Wars. I don't think Star Wars is a better story really, and I am sure it is also a composite of or a retelling of stories that are familiar.

At one time i prided myself on Not Reading! I never read a book while i was in school. I was dyslexic. But when i got out of school and went to work people thought i was well read. I think it was because i was around cultured people. My mother was a school teacher and my parents had hobbies. So did i.
Well i got married and went to work at a cross stitch shop. The owner said that she always read a page or two every night from a classic and this is how she read a classic. At the time i think i read the book Nicholas and Alexandra. It was my first "real" book. I had learned so much from reading that!! I was about 22 years old. So when i heard her say that she would read a classic that slow i was like what can you get from that. But ithis woman was very busy!! Her husband was a banker. She owned and ran this shop, doing finishing for people, like stockings or blocking needlepoint and making cushions. So i asked her what she could get out of reading a book that slowly! I mean it would take forever to finish!!! She told me that when you read a classic a page or two at a time it isnt the same as reading a best seller, because you can find some food for thought on just a page or two and feel rewarded. She also said that because she is so busy she needs books that deliver such nuggets in a short time.

So although you don't have a head to wrap around long passages of the Canterbury i wonder if you could digest it like a snail and tell me what you are getting? No pressure. They do have a five minute timer on my audible app, perhaps using that for your "page". I really believe that you would get something out of it for your day. Perhaps it would become a habit like it was for my boss Ann.

It reminds mebof when i was a girl and i went to church and they would encourage you to read the Bible or have devotions. Obe preacher said that reading the bible at times can feel like you are not getting anything out of it, but it has the power of water in a basket, to clean the basket, even though the basket doesn't hold water. I think reading the Canterbury might give you something to chew on and give a fresh perspective to things you are going through.

SO when i was trying to read this book and it really wasn't working for me, I put this copy i had in the car. I had read Black Elk Speaks that way and i was surprised to find there was enough between two pages to be valuable! So i did the same with Canturbury and i did at least figure out that i wasn't so stupid that i couldn't understand this book or appreciate poetry. I did figure out that translations make a huge difference!!!

Of course this still may not mean you have time to read the Canturbury! Thats ok. You got me reading it and i have found it beneficial! I really needed a buddy to get me to push forward on this book!! Thank You!!!on
on
The moon has dropped down so that it is in the window frame. It is 5:50 AM .

message 28: by Cosmic (last edited Feb 08, 2020 06:53AM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments While the moon has been setting i have been listening to the Canterbury in Middle English from the link you sent me!!

Reminds me of the Japanese who built balconies to sit and watch the moon and read poetry.

Anyway, in this translation i got something out of the Priest that likes to go fox hunting rather than sitting in his clostier reading and studying books. His sleeves are cut just above the hand. Which means he doesn't do any work or his sleeves would get soiled. And he was preferred swan which i imagine is richer than duck! definitely bigger and more elegant.

The other thing that i noticed was the knights son. He was learned and could read and draw. I don't think that he had been to war yet. He reminded me of kids now day that have had an affluent childhood and don't was to grow up. He is a bachelor and is enjoying himself irresponsibly. His father has been gone. HIs mother and yoeman and tudors have been watching over him.
Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4eYR...

You cannot believe how beautiful the moon is now!!

message 29: by Cosmic (last edited Feb 10, 2020 09:00PM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments I am on chapter30. I think you have really helped me read this book!!! Just signing up and making it a goal!goal
goal
Today i got a book out of storage called The Canterbury Tales Illustrated Prologue. I didn't find it in the list but here it is on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Canterbury-Tal...

I don't think i have read a prologue to a book as many times as i have read this one!

This one is also in middle English, so i think i may follow with the link you gave! Thank you!have

The pictures are beautiful and i am sure will enhance my enjoyment of reading the rest of the book.

Hope you are feeling better! And your sister it's well. Have also been thinking and praying that all goes well with your husband back surgery!

message 30: by Cosmic (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments I am on chapter36 The Second Nun's Tale.
It is interesting how many of the tales have been related to marriage. I have not read a lot of love stories or classic love stories, other than
Anna Karenina
I was looking at a book list and found Pride and Prejudice and wonderjng if this senarior is one listed in the Canturbury Tales. I have read Middle March but would have to revisit it to see if perhaps this book could have influenced some of the senarios. I could see these stories being good prompts. As i have gotten deeper into the book i have found the writing not as tedious as it was in the beginning. I have been thinking about rereading it and setting how the tales build our relate to each other. That would be a hard thing to do because it is tempting just to say i read that. But i have found second readings very rewarding beyond what i thought possible. Plus it probably won't take as long since i will be familiar with the tales.
I usually listen to this at night and so sometimes i fall asleep and have to back up the story again...So i do end up reading some portions three or four times.
How you are doing well and if you want to start this book evena year from now i would be interested in reading it again with you!!

message 31: by Cosmic (last edited Feb 20, 2020 08:08AM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments Hi Jan,
I am on chapter 42.this is prose rather than verse. It is also sermons rather than a story. Geoffrey Chaucer version on Dante's The Divine Comedy.

Jeffrey Keeten made this remark about Chaucer that I thought was interesting.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

"One of the wonderful things about writing, to paraphrase Chaucer, is that you can eviscerate your enemies forever in print, and certainly the people who had most offended Dante in life were experiencing the tortures of everlasting hell. Writers do play God. Because of the fame of The Divine Comedy, their names will always be associated with a list of famous sinners. I would say that Dante’s revenge was served cold, but really it was rather warmly given."

My goal in reading the The Canterbury Tales was to find the character that Victor Hugo used for the priest. I found those for sure!sure
sure
I was kinda looking forward at what i might read next. Back when i was going to read this the first time i had bought The Decameron because it had been mentioned as a book that influenced Chaucer's writing this book.

So yesterday i started listen to that one. It was very timely, because at the beginning of the book he tells us about the Plague of 1300(?).
Showing results for The scenario is that these Nobels quarantined themselves in a house and are passing the time telling stories.

I am still reading the sermons. One tidbit that i got was( Hmmmm, went to cut and paste from the penguin kindle edition and they cut the sermons out of The Parson’s Tale). But he talks about how reason should be govern by God, and feelings by reason. He says when we reverse that then we have trouble! I could relate when it comes to dieting, and thought it interesting way of putting it.

Hope things are better with you!

message 32: by Cosmic (last edited Feb 20, 2020 08:59AM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments They talk about alchemy in one of the stories.

In this video about 8:00 minutes in is an alchemist lab that looks period to mideval times

http://atlanteangardens.blogspot.com/...

I read the note on the exhibit and it says it is Egyptian, and tells viewers that the word Alchemy is Egyptian. They say the word means Transformation but i heard it translated more times as Transmutation.

Interesting because this morning i was looking up the title to The Origin of Species a came across this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans...

Always hear Charles Darwin book The Origin of Species, but the real title is" On the origin of species by means of natural selection, or the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life.". He was a rasist!! And this is what we teach in schools!!

message 33: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (mcfitzsatx) | 92 comments Cosmic, you are such a good reading buddy! I will return to this book eventually and use your wonderful notes. Meanwhile, I'm just listening and reading to easy reads to get through the long nights with my sister. THANK YOU for doing this, and please don't give up on me for future buddy reads.

message 34: by Cosmic (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments Thank you Jan,
I am sorry this didn't work for you at this time. If you do revisit it i hope you will message me and let me join you. I always find the reread is the icing on the cake!!

message 36: by Cosmic (last edited Mar 27, 2020 07:24PM) (new) - added it

Cosmic Arcata | 30 comments https://deadbutdreaming.wordpress.com...

This post investigates the, sometimes complex, entanglements of these metaphysical entities beginning with the 16th-century progenitor of the concept of nature spirits: Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim, more often (and conveniently) known as Paracelsus.