Play Book Tag discussion

It
This topic is about It
January 2020: Thriller > It by Stephen King 3 stars (poll ballot)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel N. (last edited Jan 20, 2020 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rachel N. | 1441 comments Seven children, age 11, band together after they realize a creature they call It is murdering children in the town of Derry, Maine. The kids are reunited as adults when children once again begin being murdered. The book jumps around a lot between the two timelines. I like Stephen King as a writer and parts of this book were very creepy. My main problem was the book got very repetitive. We have to go through each child's individual confrontation with It and then go through their individual confrontations with It as adults. I think some of this could have been trimmed out which would have made the book move faster. There's also a part near the end which I had heard about and when I got to it is was very disturbing and gross (not in a good horror way). King also spends way too much time having the only girl think about her breasts, both when she's 11 and as an adult. Not one of my favorite King books but I'm glad I read it.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments As a rule I really enjoy Stephen King, but this is one I haven't gotten to yet. Probably won't race to read it based on your assessment. Next up for me is The Institute.

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments I gave this 3.5 rounded up. The reasons you gave, especially that scene, were why it didn’t rank higher for me. I read somewhere that he is sorry that he wrote that- his addiction was at its worst during that time period. I’m not excusing him, though. That was just wrong.