Devon Book Club discussion

Archive > Giveaways 2020

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
So, to our first Giveaway of 2020. I am delighted to introduce to you the latest book by Elizabeth Jade Akea - His Mother's Son I'm really pleased to share this with you for several reasons: the book is a wonderful story for children aged 7-11 and we don't often feature books for that age but also because Elizabeth is a young writer who has developed her writing career whilst struggling with anxiety and depression and later being diagnosed with Asbergers Syndrome.

During her early teens she found that she loved to tell stories and that she had an affinity with animals. With great determination and creativity she combined those talents and the result is two very well received books. Akea - The Power of Destiny was released in 2017 and its sequel Akea - His Mother's Son, followed in December 2019.

“Her stories remind me of Jack London’s ‘Call of the Wild’ and with ‘His Mother’s Son’ she proves she not only has a knack for creating realistic and powerful characters, but a talent for describing the wild settings they inhabit with a natural confidence that is quite charming.” Colin Garrow (author)

Elizabeth Jade has kindly offered 3 copies of her latest book to us for this giveaway.

To enter you just need to resond to the event invitation, by noon on 18th January 2020, saying that you would like to be entered. It would be great if you could also share this post with your friends and followers.

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
Delighted to announce that the winners of of first giveway are Janet Braund-Few, Sarah and Judy Newson. Congratulations to them . I am sorry that everyone who entered couldn't be a winner

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
Now, to our theme of the week - crime. As you know, I am officially launching this with Cherry from The Crime Cabinet in a special edition of #devonbookhour tomorrow from 8PM but, today, I am going to ease us in by beginning to feature a range of crime writers - some from Devon but others who have contacted us from further afield.

The first of our featured authors has also generously offered a signed copy of his new book Grave's End - see the end of this post for details of how to enter.

William Shaw was born and raised in Newton Abbot and, although he now lives in Brighton he retains strong connections to Devon.

His latest series is set in Kent - in Dungeness in particular - on the other end of the coast. It features a woman called Alex Cupidi, a DS who has recently moved there from the Met. The series started with Salt Lane, which was long listed for the Theakston’s Prize and last year the second in the series, Deadland, was shortlisted for the CWA Gold Dagger.

William tells me that he likes the fact that " crime writing is kind of an examination of our modern world". The Alex Cupidi series is about society and wildlife in Kent. The new one, Grave’s End, published in hardback a few weeks ago and out in e-book next week, is about the building of a large-scale housing development close to Dungeness and is partly narrated by a badger (!).

The first book William set in that part of the world was The Birdwatcher, in which Alex Cupidi first made an appearance. Before that he wrote a series set in late 1960s London - and also in South Devon. His detectives were trying to hold the line in an era in which everything was changing. The first of those books, A Song From Dead Lips, which starts with a body being discovered behind Abbey Road Studios, was shortlisted for a Barry Award; the third, A Book Of Scars, was shortlisted for the CWA Historical Dagger, and features murders set around Kingsteignton and Bishopsteignton.

I asked William what he thinks is so compelling about crime fiction. He said that he thinks it is an incredibly dynamic genre, not because of the way it presents us with delightfully gruesome and largely imaginary murders, but because of the way it investigates contemporary society.

I wonder what you all think?

The closing date for entries is Saturday 16th May at noon.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
In a busy #crimeweek Saturday The Crime Cabinet and I are delighted to announce the winner of our #giveaway of William Shaw's fabulous new book Grave's End. And the winner is ..... Laurence Anholt. Congratulations Laurence and thanks to all who entered. Sorry that there could only be one winner. Look out for another #giveaway coming your way soon.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
As we close out a very busy May, I am delighted to bring you a new #giveaway (details below), courtesy of Jenny Kane, who hardly needs any introduction to you all (though there is one below).

'A summer read as scrumptious as its Cornish backdrop. Brilliant!' Nicola May

Perfect for fans of Jenny Colgan, Phillipa Ashley and Cathy Bramley, this summer romance is sure to warm your heart.

A Cornish Escape:
Abi's life is turned upside down when she is widowed before her thirtieth birthday. Determined to find something positive in the upheaval, Abi decides to make a fresh start somewhere new. With fond childhood memories of holidays in a Cornish cottage, could Cornwall be the place to start over?

With all her belongings in the boot of her car but no real plan, a chance meeting in a village pub brings new friends Beth and Max into her life. Max soon helps Abi track down the house of her dreams but things aren't as simple as Abi hoped.

Can Abi leave her past behind and finally get her happy ending?

Previously published as Abi's House

Archaeologist, university tutor, cheese seller, newsagent, hat maker, children’s story teller, and data clerk are among Jenny's varied past experiences.

She loves to work with the sights and sounds of everyday life, to weave tales of relaxingly relatable romance and, prior to lockdown, was usually found writing in a local coffee shop.

One of our founder members and a very active members of our Devon Book Club community, Jenny supported us all through her journey with her humour, advice and seemingly inexhaustible enthusiasm for story-telling.

Enter by midday on 6/6/20 by responding to the event invitation or by leaving a reply to this post

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
I am delighted to announce that the winner of Jenny Kane's
A Cornish Escape is Emma Cole from Exeter. Congratulations to Emma and thanks to all those who entered. There were so many entries, reflecting the popularity of Jenny's books. Sorry that there could only be one winner.

Watch this space though. Another great #giveaway will be announced very soon

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
Delighted to announce that the winner of the draw for
Susie Williamson book Return of the Mantrais Jenni Williams. Congratulations Jenni, thank you again to Susie for the giveaway and thanks to all those who entered. Sorry there could only be one winner.

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
Here's a little something for a lovely summer evening, a cheeky mid-week giveaway to celebrate the publication of paperback and ebook edition of A Cornish Wedding by the wonderful Jenny Kane

The Book:

'I'm a big fan of Jenny Kane' Katie Fforde

Perfect for fans of Cathy Bramley, Heidi Swain and Milly Johnson, A Cornish Wedding is the best kind of summer escape.

Abi has what she's always dreamed of: her perfect Cornish cottage, great friends and a gorgeous boyfriend. But her idyll is shattered when a new neighbour moves in next door.

Rude and obnoxious, Cassandra doesn't make a good first impression on Abi. But with the unexpected wedding of one of Abi's friends to prepare for, Abi has bigger things to worry about.

However, avoiding her new neighbour proves harder than expected and Abi and Cassandra soon realise they might have more in common than they first thought. . .

But with the wedding only weeks away, can they set aside their differences before the big day?

About Jenny

From the comfort of her cafe corner in Mid Devon, award winning author, Jenny Kane, wrote the contemporary women’s fiction and romance novels, Midsummer at Mill Grange (Aria, 2020), A Cornish Escape (2nd edition, HeadlineAccent, 2020), A Cornish Wedding (2nd edition, HeadlineAccent, 2020), Romancing Robin Hood (2nd edition, Littwitz Press, 2018), Another Glass of Champagne (Accent Press, 2016), Jenny Kane’s Christmas Collection (Accent, 2016), and Another Cup of Coffee (Accent Press, 2013).

To enter the draw for the giveaway like and share this post and reply to the invitation saying why you'd like a copy of the book. Closing date: noon on 5/7. Good luck

All of Jennifer Ash’s and Jenny Kane’s news can be found at www.jennykane.co.uk
@JennyKaneAuthor
Jenny Kane https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
I'm shortly going to share more about our forthcoming #nonfictionweek so watch out for that but, first, the winner of our giveaway competition for Jenny Kane wonderful book "A Cornish Wedding".

And the winner is...... Sara Walker, who entered through our Twitter community. I'll be in touch for your address Sara.

Thanks to everyone who entered. Such a shame that there can only be one winner but there are more book giveaways coming hard on the heels of this one

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
I'm delighted to announce that the winner of Rescued; Adventures with Down and Out Dogs is Tsara Smith, also known as The Mid Devon Walker

Congratulations Tsara. The book will be on its way shortly. Thanks to Jenni Williams for offering Rescued: Adventures with Down and Out Dogs and my thanks to all who entered. This one was really popular over on Twitter and there were a lot of entries.

More giveaways coming soon

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
A new Givaway
Many of you will be familiar with Tom Dawn, both as an active member of our community but also as a fantastic writer. We have previously featured Tom's work in a #giveaway of Descent. This was such a popular event that Tom has kindly offered to do another one, with his new book, Knights of the Blackdowns

We have FOUR paperback copies of Knights of the Blackdowns by Tom Dawn to give away “in exchange for a fair review”. It has a gothic edge, which is different from Tom’s previous novels.

The Book:
Living their dream ... Chivalrous modern-day jouster Cal and his devoted friend Amber fall under the spell of erudite warrior-poet Tony, and the living history society who act out his romantic medieval vision at their Devonshire hilltop camp. But with authenticity comes violence! The path to achieving Tony’s vision demanded a brutal choice, and Cal must confront his own secrets as he uncovers the hidden truth.

To enter just like and respond to the event invitation by 6PM on 02-Aug and follow the https://www.facebook.com/tomdawn.author page.

There’s a book preview at: https://bit.ly/3hMSUesAmazon. We’re afraid the offer is open to the UK only. You don’t have to live in Devon join the Devon Book Club!

Tom Dawn has lived on or in sight of the Blackdown Hills for almost half his life. His book-related blog is at https://knightsOfTheBlackdowns.uk/

message 12: by Tom (new)

Tom Dawn | 18 comments :-)

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
Delighted to announce the winners of @DawnOriginal Knights Of The Blackdowns. Carlotte May, Shanel Chalmers, Olli at Blue Poppy Publishing and Jill Robinson. Please contact Tom with your addresses. Thanks to all who entered. This was such a popular competition. Thanks to Tom Dawn for his generosity in offering 4 books. Tom would also be happy to send bookmarks to anyone else who entered if you contact him to let him know.

More great book giveways coming very soon

message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
We love a giveaway at Devon Book Club and I've a new opportunity for you today to enter a draw for one of 4 copies of The Bastille Spy by CS Quinn. I first came across Catherine's work a couple of years ago when I read The Thieftaker, the story of a cutpurse in Charles II England.

In today's giveaway, we are featuring a wonderful historical thriller, The Bastille Spy, the first in a new series The Revolution Spy. Read on:

England's best spy. France's deadliest prison.

Paris, 1789. English spy Attica Morgan's success freeing kidnapped Britons has earned her acclaim with an underground network. But it has also led to attention of dangerously powerful men. So when she's given a new assignment in Paris, a city with revolution in the air, her instinct is to run.

With France on the cusp of a bloody revolution, Attica soon realizes her mission is a great deal deadlier than she bargained for. A mythic treasure has vanished, a strange man named Robespierre wants her dead, and on the city streets, all hell is about to break loose...

CS Quinn is a hugely varied and talented writer. She is a travel and lifestyle journalist for The Times, the Guardian and the Mirror, alongside many magazines. Prior to this, her background in historical research won prestigious postgraduate funding from the British Arts Council. Catherine combined this with her first-hand experiences in far-flung places to create her bestselling The Thief Taker series.

Catherine lives in Totnes. I love that we have such a breadth of writers here in Devon and am sure you will love this book and others in both this and her Thieftaker series.

To enter the draw reply to the event information or leave a comment below by midday on 23rd August. Good luck .

message 15: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
I'm delighted to announce that the winner of Hazel Prior's lovely book Away with the Penguins is Ivana, a blogger at Diary of A Difference. Ivana's blog is fabulous and you can find it here https://diaryofdifference.com/ . I notice that Ivana is a former Macedonian Karate champion so thank goodness she won the draw! I look forward to a strong partnership between our two communities in the future.

Congratulations to Ivana and thanks to everyone who participated in the draw. Across our three platforms we had more than 75 entries - one of our biggest yet. Sorry that there could only be one winner but look out for more opportunities and I hope that, having had your appetite whetted, you'll support Hazel by buying the book (or maybe hinting at it as a Xmas present)

Have a great weekend everyone