Hollows Read-along to AMERICAN DEMON discussion

Outlaw Demon Wails > Breach of contract

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 39 comments I always wonder, when I read this book- Rachel keeps talking about how Al is breaking their agreement, how he promised not to harm her and hers. But, in reality, hasn’t she already nullified their agreement by refusing to testify on his behalf with the demons? She owes him a favour, and to me this always felt a little... this isn’t how it works, sweetie. You don’t get to ask “what’s in it for me?” when repaying the favour, what was in it for her was being transported through the lines way back in book 1 and not bleeding to death on the library floor. Does it come down to- since Al isn’t proving himself to be powerful enough to force her to hold up her end of the bargain, then the bargain is by default unenforceable? For a gal who says she wants to get rid of her last demon mark...

message 2: by Karen, Pale Demon (new)

Karen Mead | 54 comments Mod
Honestly, I have trouble keeping track of how the agreements work in this series. I'm guessing there's a lot of wriggle-room in the verbal contract that Rachel and Ceri made, and Al is taking advantage of that.

message 3: by Dlb (new)

Dlb (dlb1040) | 33 comments I have a hard time keeping track of the Demon deals and fine print of the contracts as well. Not to mention the demon mark count and who’s whose. I just might start book marking the Demon discussions and especially every deal for future reference and revisiting. AL and his crew, despite their brutality and evil, are funny as hell and entertaining😈

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (grannie_4_7) | 40 comments Valerie wrote: "I always wonder, when I read this book- Rachel keeps talking about how Al is breaking their agreement, how he promised not to harm her and hers. But, in reality, hasn’t she already nullified their ..."

I think you're right. He asked for a favor, she refused. I wondered at the time how that would play out, and here it is.

And I don't think that there is as much wiggle room as Rachel tries to get sometimes. But, she's cute and smart and they (the demons) know that eventually she'll be one of theirs so they let her slide. I think they enjoy the repartee for the most part. They are playing the long game.

message 5: by Danielle "Nae" (new)

Danielle "Nae" (dannernae) | 61 comments As I understand it, the demon mark is just another deal that has to be brokered. Rachel can say no and still carry the mark until they come to an agreement about how to repay it. She just can’t ask for anything in return. Like Minias had the right to contact Rachel when he had her mark. She didn’t have to accept his proposal.

message 6: by LilWashu (new)

LilWashu | 61 comments Demon marks are always up for negotiation. In fact, they hope you break it so they can just kill you. Definitely easier than having you try to renegotiate. I think after Rachel took Al’s name and got a taste of what it was like, she understood things.

message 7: by Karen, Pale Demon (new)

Karen Mead | 54 comments Mod
Speaking of marks, I found it really interesting on this reread that Minias accepted Rachel's mark. I know Rachel is a very special lady and all, but I wouldn't think that taking a mere witches' mark would even be an option that would occur to him. Demons dole out marks, they don't take them from mere mortals!

It makes more sense if we assume that Minias was clued into the truth about Rachel's heritage before Al and the rest found out. I'm not sure if that makes sense in the story chronologically, but it explains his attitude towards her in some scenes.

message 8: by Danielle "Nae" (new)

Danielle "Nae" (dannernae) | 61 comments Karen wrote: "Speaking of marks, I found it really interesting on this reread that Minias accepted Rachel's mark. I know Rachel is a very special lady and all, but I wouldn't think that taking a mere witches' ma..."
Well he was Newts familiar and wrote down everything he found out that she remembered. We’re never sure what she remembers about Rachel. He might suspect something, but I’m fairly certain so does Big Al.

message 9: by Nickie (new)

Nickie | 47 comments Dlb wrote: "I have a hard time keeping track of the Demon deals and fine print of the contracts as well. Not to mention the demon mark count and who’s whose. I just might start book marking the Demon discussio..."

YES! I totally agree that they are funny as hell and entertaining! It can be tough to keep track of the demon contracts, but I think this is part of what keeps me so engaged in the world of demons. They are the ultimate businessmen (and women). I love the anticipation of what will be agreed upon and how that will turn out.