The Well-Read Woman Book Club discussion

Book Club Lounge > Welcome and Introductions

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caroline (last edited May 05, 2020 08:43AM) (new)

Caroline (carolinerudolph) | 138 comments Hi Guys!

Whether you've been on Goodreads for awhile or you're brand new, take a minute to introduce yourself to the group so we can get to know each other! I'll go first.

I'm Caroline, I've recently moved to Richmond, VA with my husband and English Bulldog, Tots (Virginia Tech influenced), from being in Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C. for the past six years. I work in real estate and it was during a morning commute that I realized I hadn't picked up a book for the simple enjoyment of reading since graduating college and partaking in the daily grind of a career.

Therefore, I created the resolution to become better-read. I then started a reading blog and dove into reading as much as I could and finished with 88 books this past year. This year, I would like to have more focus in my reading and create a discussion for a group of people that are as passionate as I am about books and reading. My goal is to be able to discuss most any book that a reader would mention in a bookish reference, from the classics to award-winning modern books and those best-sellers being passed around the mass public.

Really I hope to uncover a little soul, share few laughs, and definitely gain some perspective together.

I hope you'll join me, introduce yourself here!

message 2: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinerudolph) | 138 comments Elba wrote: "Hi Caroline and Book Lovers,
I am Elba. I discovered Goodreads through a friend. I since have blossomed into a rabid reader. I like to be adventurous and try all kinds of genre. It is really diffic..."

Hi Elba,

So happy you're here! I'm glad to be able to know you through another book club, and I'm grateful to hear you're open to be adventurous with our readings. My hope is that we are all able to expand each other's perspectives and minds! I also find that I'm constantly practicing detachment to accept and find meaning from what an author is intending to portray or bring attention to.

(I also love that an online book club has the ability to get all of the introverts and busy women together for discussion!)

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly | 1 comments I'm Holly. I've been on Goodreads for a while and really don't remember when I discovered it. I've always been a very avid reader and am beginning to see "how many books can I read" a challenge now. I'm pretty open to all genres but sci-fi is one that I seldom read. I have a 9 yr old who keeps me pretty busy. I live in Cinci, but grew up in the Cleveland area. I'm still a Cleveland girl at heart. Can't wait to get to reading for this group (as well as some others I'm a part of).

message 4: by Eleni (new)

Eleni Philippopoulos | 9 comments Hi everyone! My name is Eleni and I'm from Montreal, Quebec in Canada. I love books so much that I spent 2 years earning a masters degree to become a librarian! I've worked in a public library and am currently working as a medical librarian.

I've been on Goodreads since 2013. It started as a way for me to keep track of the books that I'd read and turned into an obsession. I "met" Caroline, the founder of this group, through Twitter. I am the co-host of a Gilmore Girls podcast called Coffee With a Shot of Cynicism, where we often steer the conversation towards books. As I've gotten older, my genre preferences have shifted. I can no longer stomach YA because their problems don't seem important to me. I have a hard time reading sci-fi and fantasy but will still give it a try. And I find myself being more and more interested in non-fiction books because they allow me to learn all kinds of new things. I'm hoping to get to discover some great new reads and share some great conversation with you ladies!

message 5: by Elba (new)

Elba (elbamaria) | 51 comments Hi Elen, How do I find your podcast? I love GG and would enjoy a listen. Welcome and happy to be co reading with you. Cheers!

message 6: by Eleni (new)

Eleni Philippopoulos | 9 comments Elba wrote: "Hi Elen, How do I find your podcast? I love GG and would enjoy a listen. Welcome and happy to be co reading with you. Cheers!"

Hello! You can find us on Apple Podcasts and Spotify just by typing Coffee With a Shot of Cynicism.

Here's the link if you want to listen directly on our hosting site: https://blubrry.com/coffeecynicism/

message 7: by Elba (new)

Elba (elbamaria) | 51 comments Thanks Eleni. I found you loud and clear. You and your host are so charming. Listening to the introvert podcast and sipping my latte. Cheers!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (pawswithprose) Hello everyone!

I'm Rachel and i'm very happy to be a part of this group!

message 9: by Helene (new)

Helene | 34 comments Hi everyone, I’m Helene. I love to read all kinds of book. I don’t know if I have a favorite genre but I mostly gravitate towards contemporary or classics so this book club is perfect for me. I do try to read a few non fiction stuff from time to time too. Can’t wait to start reading with you all.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (bookmarks_and_dogears) | 15 comments Hello everyone! I'm Amanda and I'm from Maryland. I found this group while I was browsing discussions about The Starless Sea, which I'm currently listening to on audiobook. I have been on Goodreads since 2012 to help me find book recommendations, but I've never really been active in the Goodreads community. This year, however, I'm trying to be better about writing reviews and connecting with fellow readers! I like almost any well-written book, but my favorite fiction genres are fantasy, historical fiction, literary fiction, and classics (great for this group!). I also like a lot of non-fiction books about leadership, productivity, and psychology. I probably listen to more audiobooks than I actually read (because multitasking), but I will always prefer paper format. It's nice to meet you all!

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather (meremoi) | 6 comments Hello everyone!

I'm Heather, I currently live in a 160sq ft tiny house with my husband and three cats in Northern Michigan.

I've been on GoodReads for a while, though I haven't used it as much as I would have liked. I was an avid reader when I was younger, mostly reading any Nancy Drew book I could get my hands on, and staying up far past my bedtime reading under the covers to finish a book.

The past few years I realized how little I was reading and endeavored to make it a hobby again, no longer allowing myself the excuse of time to put off the pleasure of reading for fun. I've managed to carve more time out of my schedule and make it a habit, having officially setting attainable reading goals for myself this year that I plan to see through.

I'm a Gilmore Girl fan and follow another reading group attempting to read all of the books read or mentioned in the series (a longtime goal of mine), which eventually led to me following Caro and finding this book club. Now I'm going to try to be present here, as I have tried joining other book clubs locally but the book choices never seem to pique my interest. Admittedly, I am not used to discussing books with others, but I try to not let the fear of the unknown keep me from trying something new.

Looking forward to growing with this group and further developing knowledge through reading!

message 12: by Maya (new)

Maya Papaya Hi, I am Maya :) I'm a 19-year-old living in Canada's capital region. This fall I will be going to university to study English with a concentration in Creative Writing. I've always been an avid reader, and I enjoy most genres (save erotica and horror). I mostly read fantasy, YA, contemporary literature, and some "soft" sci-fi. In the upcoming year, I want to read more classics, sci-fi, poetry, and non-fiction along with my regular preferences.

More about moi:

I've unintentionally read The Catcher in the Rye three times (first on a recommendation, then for different classes). I went from hating it to appreciating the writing (thanks, AP English).

I'm a Gryffindor with some Ravenclaw thrown in. I love travelling! I hoard journals, notebooks, and stationary-related items.

I write, draw, paint, play the piano (some songs very well, some horribly), make jewellery, and do all kinds of crafty things.

Although it's been recently neglected, I have a huge passion for mythology (mostly stemming from Rick Riordan and all of the books I've read of his), as well as all things folklore, witchy, weird, magical, and faerie.

I love reading, but I'm also a huge fan of movies, tv shows, and music! I have a slightly obsessive personality when it comes to these kinds of things, so my mind is a fount of random trivia and facts :)

P.S. Don't mind the overuse of parentheticals and exclamation marks.

message 13: by Deana (new)

Deana (ablotial) Hi everyone! I'm Deana, currently living in Maryland with my husband, our two children and our two cats. I love the idea of this group, and catching up on all those books that I "should" have already read!

I've been on Goodreads since 2006 -- I used to be a LOT more active... I used to read around 70 books a year and be in many Goodreads Groups. But since I got a "real job" after grad school, and especially since having children, I have a lot less time for reading than I used to. So I can't promise to be super active or read both books each month (I have a big backlog of my own books I want to read also, so sometimes book club books get lower priority). But I can promise that when I do read the books I'll be active in the discussions. I've pulled my copy of 1984 off the shelf for April :)

As for hobbies other than reading - I like to think I'm a runner, although I injured my knee in early Feb and haven't been able to run since. I've been doing a little biking to try to stay active but I don't enjoy it nearly as much. I also love games of just about any kind, although I'm not very good at them. I mostly enjoy them for the social and puzzle/thinking aspects rather than the winning aspect. I like crafts -- cross stitch, water painting, etc. Again, I'm not great at any of these things, but I find them enjoyable. One thing I don't really do that surprised people is watch television or movies. I watch maybe 2-3 movies in a good year...

Glad to meet you all here and hope to join you in book discussions soon.

message 14: by Inés (last edited May 05, 2020 11:22AM) (new)

Inés | 4 comments Hi everyone! I'm Inés, a 25 years old vet from Spain and currently living in my hometown Zaragoza, although at the end of May I'm moving to a small town in Bretagne (France) called Saint-Brieuc.
I've recently discovered Goodreads and even though I've always been an avid reader, I've been reading more often now because all of this time in quarantine at home. I've always felt like I had nobody to talk about books and, when I get the chance, I'm not someone who speaks her mind easily, but I'm trying to change that by engaging more in book discussions.

Besides reading, I love drawing, writing and travelling, I also looove learning new languages, when I was little it kinda felt like an imposition, but after my studies I'm really proud of myself for being able to communicate to other people in other languages. I also adore Gilmore Girls (I feel very identified with the amount of food and coffee they needed to get through the day)

I don't really have a favourite book genre, I read from mistery and thriller books to scientific books or memoirs. Not really into romance though, I don't really know why, I've read so many romantic books but I don't really feel like it's my thing, maybe I haven't been reading the right ones, who knows... (I'll keep trying from time to time)

SO yeah, that's (allmost) all I guess... It's really nice to meet you all and I can't wait to discuss about books!

PS. Sorry if there's any typo on my writing

message 15: by Zoë (new)

Zoë Hussaarts (zoehussaarts) | 1 comments Hii everyone,
my name is Zoë and I'm seventeen. I love reading and tea. The best way I could spend my night is with a book, blanket, tea and some rain/thunder. I am always very positive and energetic. I mostly read YA, but now I'm trying to read more classics, as they are very inspirational. I am also from the Netherlands, so please don't mind any grammar mistakes, I'm trying my best! I'm currently doing VWO and I'm in my fifth year, so I have one to go.
I also love watching movies with my boyfriend. During this pandemic I refound my love for reading and I wanted to make new friends!

:))

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolecap1) Hi! I'm Nicole from NJ. I am a music teacher and a new mama. I've been on Goodreads for a few years and always popped around other book clubs, but there were always too many people and you would get lost in the shuffle! Super excited to get started with you guys!

I love psychological thrillers, but I have a soft spot for classic literature as well.

message 17: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinerudolph) | 138 comments Hi to all of our newer members! We’re so happy to have you, and I’m psyched you’ve found us!

message 18: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Miles (alissacmiles) | 1 comments Hello! I'm Alissa and I live in NC. I used Goodreads when it first came out and then stopped for awhile. I'm just getting back into it and I'm really enjoying how much it has changed! I just reviewed The Giver of Stars and The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek and dove into the controversy over these two books. It was fun!

message 19: by Sayana (new)

Sayana K | 1 comments Hello! My name is Sayana, I am 27 years old living in Montreal, Canada. 

One would think that I had a book allergy as a child. I absolutely despised reading for school. If watching a movie adaptation wasn't an option, SparkNotes was my best friend. Up until 2 months ago, I was reading 1 or 2 books a year...maybe. At the bottom of every New Year's resolution list was a sad little bullet point "read more books" that never got crossed out. 

Well, folks, 2020 is the year that I finally surpassed my goal of reading 5 books (lol) 

Suffice to say, I got into the reading game a bit late but I am happily hooked now! It only took a global pandemic to get me here.

I work in STEM so everything is super logical and dry and numbers and code and BO-RING. In order to add some color to my life, I use my spare time to read, cook, bake, paint, sing, spin, daydream and do many other things that don't involve sitting in front of a computer.

I joined this book club because of my dear friend Eleni, who is the first person I ran to with my exciting discovery of the world of books. Happy to meet you all! 

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Čulo (culobarbara) I’m Barbara and I’m a high school student in Croatia... I always loved reading but could never find good books until I discovered this app

Carla (viajoconunlibro) (viajoconunlibro) | 3 comments Hi! I'm Carla, 29 y/o, and I'm from Chile. I love coffee/tea/any beverage and, of course, reading.

I enjoy talking about books, reading about books, seeing books, recommending/being recommend books and everything related to books... you can find me on Instagram @unaensaladadelibros (just starting and mainly in Spanish) or here in Goodreads.

I hope to meet you all!