World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Is 99 cents the best price for a kindle book?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7229 comments Hi All,

Just throwing this out there. Like a lot of indie authors I struggle to find an audience.

I speculate that positioning all my books at $0.99 US may be the best option to remove (as much as possible) any financial barrier for readers to find my books?

My number one aim with marketing is to find readers. I don't expect to make money without first establishing a sizable audience.

Thoughts?

message 2: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2144 comments Certainly it wouldn't hurt to try it. You can always put it back if you aren't happy with the results.

I've tried different prices with the catalog I have published under this name, and it doesn't seem to make difference what the price is. With my pen name, I haven't played around with pricing. I have a vague formula and I stick with it, with books ranging from $2.99-5.99 US (due to length, Amazon won't let me price less than that at the 35% royalty rate.)

Out of curiosity, I just went through the historical chart, and almost predictably, the 5.99 title has made the most money for the pen name. With 20 months of data, it sold 38 copies with KU reads for the equivalent of 66.5 copies. The book I released a month after was a 2.99 book. Over 19 months, it sold 46 copies with KU reads for the equivalent of 138.75 copies. The previous book was released two months earlier. Another $2.99 title with 22 months of data, it sold 34 copies with KU page reads working out to 70 copies.

I'm not sure price has made any difference. The cheaper price point doesn't seem to drive more sales by itself, nor do the higher price points drive more KU reads from readers who think they're getting more of a bargain. But again, definitely experiment. I've pulled most of my graphic novels from Select so I could see if they find a new audience on DeviantArt. I wasn't initially pleased with the results, but I just recently made a sale, so I'll see. I can always put them back into Select.

message 3: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7229 comments Hi J.J. thanks for that.

80% of my current revenue is driven by KU reads. I don't know why so many of my readers are on KU.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9495 comments My thinking is that provided you are solely on Kindle (with at least some books), you get the opportunity to do specials on 99c. The point of this is you also get the opportunity to promote. I have noticed that sales in general do improve during the period I am doing a promotion, but in fairness my total sales are not worth getting that excited.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Agree with J.J., trial and error will be more accurate than speculations. If someone's interested in a book, I think he or she wouldn't mind parting with a few bucks to get it. Up to 3-4 dollars shouldn't be a deal-breaker, I assume..

message 6: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2144 comments Graeme wrote: "Hi J.J. thanks for that.

80% of my current revenue is driven by KU reads. I don't know why so many of my readers are on KU."

Wow! When I put my first graphic novel up, I didn't expect it to do anything. I figured if someone wanted to read it with their KU subscription, I'd at least get a few cents. While I'm not shattering records, I have been surprised to find people actually buying, and coming back with each new one that goes out. Revenue has been about 50-50 between Sales and KENP until I started pulling out of Select, and building subscribers on Patreon to read ahead of the Amazon release, but when I did the math above, it still works out to about 2 KU readers to every 1 sale.

message 7: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1622 comments As a consumer, I get caught up by favorite authors or a new series when I get the 1st book free or read it on KU. Then subsequent books for an author or series I like, I will buy. Older books at 1.99, newer ones at 2.99, the latest at $3.99.

Books that I want that cost more than that - I make a list and read them when I get another free x number of months on KU or read them once a month on my free ebook for owning a kindle. I don't subscribe to KU; I have had it for free from 1 to 5 months about 3x during the past 4 years.

Those that are not on KU or are part of a series I am collecting because I really like it and the author, I will spend 3.99 and usually pay for them using my no rush shipping credit or my $5 gift certificate obtained through Bing rewards. $4.99 and up, I have to budget for them. (Amazon does charge interest on them.)

Before reading the initial free book, I look at the price of getting caught up in a series. If the series is endless, or subsequent books average over $5 each, then I can't afford to read the free book. If the series is on KU, I may be able to read the series and will watch for sales, which results in hodgepodge of buying some and reading some on KU.

I don't know what type of books Graeme writes. But the other "special" that gets me exceed my budget is when there is a combination for a cheaper price than buying individually. So, if an omnibus of 3 books will cost me $10 vs $15 if bought individually, I will ignore my budget and buy.