Play Book Tag discussion

Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song
This topic is about Sounds Like Me
Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot Tally--edited to this January 30] Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Son by Sara Bareilles 3 stars (read by mistake ;) )

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 6930 comments To be frank, I'd never even heard of Sara Barielles before, at least not by name, before I came across this book. I haven't listened to mainstream radio for years and my kids don't do that much, either. I listened to this on audio, which is largely read and partly sung by Bareilles, although there is a preface read by the man who wrote it, and there are bits read by others who contributed a few anecdotes, etc. The music reflects what is in the essays, and as the essays touch on parts of her life that overlap but mainly move forward in time, there is a development in melodic lines, etc that reflects her growth as an artist.

I found this interesting and would give the reading of it and the audio 5 stars, but overall the book itself is 3 stars for me.

message 2: by David (new)

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Nice review.

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6342 comments Sara Bareilles and her music is behind the Broadway hit, Waitress, Tony winner and one of the few ..perhaps only... Broadway musicals whete entire production and creative team is women. Great show, inspired by movie of same name. Incredibly gifted artist, one sincerely admired by other gifted artists. I definitely have to check this out in audio.

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5524 comments Years ago when My space existed as the top in social media. I used to look up and listen to new stars which were not on the main stream. Sara Bareilles is one I found a few years later she was on all kinds of award shows. Adele was another of those.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8305 comments I love Sara Bareilleis. She must have had such an interesting career!

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7255 comments I also love her voice. Not interested so much in reading about her though! ;)

message 7: by Karin (last edited Jan 11, 2020 03:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin | 6930 comments Theresa wrote: "Sara Bareilles and her music is behind the Broadway hit, Waitress, Tony winner and one of the few ..perhaps only... Broadway musicals whete entire production and creative team is women. Great show,..."

She is talented--she sang a capella at the beginning of each chapter, but I am way behind in the musical theatre world.

Also she wrote that musical theatre piece while procrastinating on the book :)

message 8: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Ooh, definitely putting this audiobook on my radar!!