Reading Women discussion

RWC 2020 - Personal Challenges > Paulina´s year of not-reading-any-fiction-by-white-heterosexual-male

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paulina (new)

Paulina | 3 comments So, the title quite sum ups my New Year's resolution! (I do not count in there Discworld by Terry Pratchett 'cause I love it and need it to cheer me up from time to time)
I have finished one work of fiction written by a male (Patria which I do not really recommend) but that's only cause I started it back in 2019.

So, I have finished gathering the list for my prompts - I've had some problems with choosing something for Afrofuturism, as I am not a fon of sci-fi/fantasy (other than Pratchett, obviously, or Vonnegut, but he's just so hard to classify within one specific genre).

Well, OK, now to the point, here's my list!

1. A Book by an Author from the Caribbean or India
Interpreter of Maladies

2. A Book Translated from an Asian Language
The Housekeeper and the Professor

3. A Book about the Environment
This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate

4. A Picture Book Written/Illustrated by a BIPOC Author
Well, it's hard to come by those books in Poland (and they would be ridiculously expensive), where I come from, so I went for Brakująca połowa dziejów. Krótka historia kobiet na ziemiach polskich which is like our version of "Rebel Girls"

5. A Winner of the Stella Prize or the Women’s Prize for Fiction
Half of a Yellow Sun

6. A Nonfiction Title by a Woman Historian
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

7. A Book Featuring Afrofuturism or Africanfuturism
Children of Blood and Bone

8. An Anthology by Multiple Authors
What My Mother and I Don't Talk About: Fifteen Writers Break the Silence

9. A Book Inspired by Folklore & 10. A Book about a Woman Artist
Stryjeńska. Diabli nadali
She was a Polish painter, deeply involved in the cultural live of Poland in interwar period (which is a fascinating time in our history), and her paintings were refering to our folklore, Slavic and historical themes, I cannot wait till I get it from library! :)

11. Read and Watch a Book-to-Movie Adaptation
As I've already read Little Women, my choice for this prompt would be
We Have Always Lived in the CastleMy Life on the Road

12. About a woman who inspires you
I have to work around this one a bit. I really admire Emma Watson, so I am going for a book that she has chosen for her bookclub. I have two in mind:
Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger
My Life on the Road
I may just read two of them, as I have put 9 & 10 together

13. A Book by an Arab Woman
Our Women on the Ground: Essays by Arab Women Reporting from the Arab World

14. A Book Set in Japan or by a Japanese Author
Convenience Store Woman

15. A Biography:
Posełki. Osiem pierwszych kobiet
It's about first 8 Polish women MPs

16. A Book Featuring a Woman with a Disability
Frida

17. Book over 500 pages:
Middlemarch
Just gotta finally crack this classic!

18. A Book Under 100 Pages
The Children's Hour

19. A Book That’s Frequently Recommended to You
Flights
I do feel a bit ashamed that Polish women writer was awarded with Npbel Prize and I've never read anything written by her, so I have to change that!

20. A Feel-Good or Happy Book
Red, White & Royal Blue

21. A Book about Food
With the Fire on High

22. A Book by Either a Favorite or a New-to-You Publisher
My Year of Rest and Relaxation
It was published in Poland by a new-to-me publisher
I may as well go with
Strup. Hiszpania rozdrapuje rany
which is a non-fiction written by women about the aftermath of Spain's Civil War, published by my favorite publisher

23. Book by a LGBTQ+ author:
Todo esto te daré

24. A Book from the 2019 Reading Women Award Shortlists or Honorable Mentions
Red at the Bone

I am enormously excited for those months of reading that are ahead of me!

message 2: by Paulina (new)

Paulina | 3 comments I have finished "Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks" and what a good piece of non-fiction it was!
For me, this would actually fit into prompt "Topic you know nothing about", because honestly, I knew nothing about it, but Skloot's writing is really accessible. I liked her involvement in the story, and I know that for many people this may be off-putting, but I have read so much non-fiction when the author is trying to be this objective, distanced one (as if this even exists), that this was a really nice exception for me.
I loved how broad the spectrum of what Skloot has written about is. It's not only about medicine and science, but also touches on our ethics, questions of fairness and capitalism.
I really do recommend this one :)

message 3: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (villadinorah) | 16 comments I'm loving your challenge. It's inspiring and I applaud you. I'm not doing any male writers. It's my type of protest and education. Cheers!

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Griffin Paulina wrote: "I have finished "Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks" and what a good piece of non-fiction it was!
For me, this would actually fit into prompt "Topic you know nothing about", because honestly, I knew ..."

I think this book is one of my all-time favorite reads!

message 5: by Irene. (new)

Irene. (kittenbones) | 6 comments I love the title of this / your challenge! I was low-key tempted to aim for no male writers this year but this is making me wanna follow through.