Tim Baggenstos | 21 comments Mod
Test

message 3: by Tim (new)

Test 2

message 4: by Tim (new)

Test 3

message 5: by Tim (last edited Jan 10, 2020 01:14PM) (new)

Please note that a lot of details are yet to be figured regarding how this group will work. Recommendations are indeed welcome. :)

message 6: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 8 comments Huzzah

message 7: by Tim (new)

😀

message 8: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Baggenstos | 15 comments hey!

message 9: by Tim (new)

Hey! The first book is officially going to be The Scarlet Pimpernel (should be pretty easy to get from the library). Today, I’ll try to get Julie, Sam, and Kolby added. Then, I’ll tell you what my plan is (don’t worry, it’s nothing too special).

message 10: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 8 comments Caleb would like to join as well

message 11: by Tim (new)

Great! I’ll send him the request this afternoon.

message 12: by Tim (new)

We’ll be starting officially on Monday (a week from today). So get get your book (The Scarlet Pimpernel) if you’re joining in on the first one!

message 13: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 8 comments Hold placed

message 14: by Tim (new)

My one warning about getting the book is to make sure you just get the plain old Scarlet Pimpernel and not one of the sequels that might have those two words in the title.

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie Baggenstos | 8 comments I’m planning on listening to the audiobook, is it a heavy novel? Or something I could play in the background around the kids without issue?

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie Baggenstos | 8 comments Are my comments posting?

message 17: by Tim (new)

Your comments are posting. It’s not a very heavy novel, but it does involve the French Revolution so the guillotine is mentioned, and there are people out to get each other.

message 18: by Tim (new)

Hi! For this book, the plan is for everyone to finish The Scarlet Pimpernel by Valentine's Day. Everyone is welcome to message any comments/questions at any time, but the only official questions will come somewhere around Valentine's Day. Btw, Julie will be leading the next book so stay tuned.

message 19: by Julie (new)

Julie Baggenstos | 8 comments Can we rename our book club “on the same page”

message 20: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Baggenstos | 15 comments sounds good

message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie Baggenstos | 8 comments I just finished TSP! I loved it!!!!

message 22: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Baggenstos | 15 comments Odds Luck! I finished

message 23: by Tim (new)

Woohoo! That elusive Pimpernel!

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie Baggenstos | 8 comments I am still in awe of how much I enjoyed this book! I didn’t expect to after the first couple chapters 😅

message 25: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Baggenstos | 15 comments what's next?

message 26: by Tim (new)

Sorry for the late comment. At what point did you suspect who the Scarlet Pimpernel really was? What did you most enjoy about the book?

message 27: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Baggenstos | 15 comments when the french guy found him napping in the dining room

message 28: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Baggenstos | 15 comments I liked the historical nature of the plot. I also liked the central plot twist with husband and wife accidentally plotting against each other. the sequence of events after the ball strained credulity a bit.

message 29: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Baggenstos | 15 comments the main problem I see is when she tells her secret to her husband's friend. I dont understand why the friend wouldn't have rallied every member of the gang immediately and immediately rushed to the coast to try to catch either the pimpernel or chauvelin. if they caught chauvelin, they could have tied him up in a house for a couple days and then let him go. all they needed was a days head start to warn the pimpernel and pick up the fugitives.

message 30: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Baggenstos | 15 comments they had a like 20 people in the gang, they probably could have got to the pimpernel before he left England too.

message 31: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Baggenstos | 15 comments the ball scene was pretty good though, good suspense

message 32: by Tim (new)

Good point about how the other members could’ve been rallied. Since I’d read this book before, it was able to notice a lot more clues that Percy is the Scarlet Pimpernel. I quite enjoy the scene where’s Percy eats with Chauvelin and gives him pepper!

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie Baggenstos | 8 comments I LOVED IT! I thought the tobacco in the pipe was great as well. This book reminded me of “The Princess Bride” and I thought the twist at the end was 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

message 34: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 8 comments Sorry guys, it took a couple of weeks for my hold on the book to come in, and now we are writing thank you notes in the evenings so I only have time to read a few pages at a time and I cannot keep the characters straight with such short snippets at a time. Is it OK if I get a head start on the next book, which is???

message 35: by Tim (new)

No worries! We’re not leading an army boot camp here. The next book is Pride and Prejudice; I’ll ask Julie to see if she’s still willing to lead that one.

message 36: by Julie (new)

Julie Baggenstos | 8 comments “I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”
-Caroline Bingley

We won’t be reading to impress Mr. Darcy (like Caroline) but rather I hope reading the beautiful, timeless and romantic “Pride & Prejudice” will be fun for all. We will begin March 1 💞

message 37: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 8 comments Julie, you're so eloquent! I'll go place my hold...

message 38: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Baggenstos | 15 comments bonus points if you read fordyce's sermons as well

message 39: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 8 comments Haha!