Reading the Detectives discussion

General chat > Favourite podcasts

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8950 comments Mod
Following on from some discussion in The White Swan general chat thread, here is a new thread to recommend podcasts.

Do you have any favourites, whether about classic crime and mysteries or books in general and other topics too? Please post links and recommend particular episodes.

message 2: by Judy (new)

Must confess, I have hardly listened to any podcasts, so I'm struggling to think of much to recommend - however, I would like to try some, so will be looking at the recommendations with interest. :)

message 3: by Judy (new)

One recommendation I can make - I have heard a couple of episodes of the All About Agatha podcast, which features detailed discussions of Agatha Christie's books and is very good.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/all-...

Also on other platforms.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 254 comments I think the Shedunnit podcast is excellent. Some great golden age themed episodes. I only seem to listen to podcasts when I'm either cooking or doing the washing up (and fed up with the radio).

https://shedunnitshow.com/

message 5: by Susan (last edited Jan 10, 2020 11:21PM) (new)

Susan | 10021 comments Mod
I listen to podcasts a lot. Some of my favourites are:
BBC's Books and Authors - Open Book and A Good Read
Also from the BBC In our Time - History

Other books podcasts are The Guardian Books Podcast
Backlisted
Tea or Books? (an impossible choice!)
Spybrary

Some general ones I like are:
Dan Snow's History Hit
All Out Politics (Sky)
The Edition - The Spectator
Talking Politics

I don't listen to each episode, I just pick and choose when I get time. The recent Backlisted episode was on Proust, which I loved. I sometimes listen to Beatles podcasts, but they are a bit niche to list here!

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 314 comments Slightly foxed podcast https://foxedquarterly.com/category/p... - general literary podcast produced by Slightly Foxed Magazine.

message 7: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 2880 comments Thanks for all the intriguing recommendations- I’ve been interested in podcasts as something to listen to while exercising, but there are SO MANY to choose from, didn’t know where to begin- politics? Science? cooking? Gardening? Books? Now that seems enjoyable...I’m sure the other topics are great, too, but got to start somewhere!

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) | 250 comments Susan I listen to Talking Politics and All Out Politics too. As you like them, you might like Inside Briefing, which is from the Institute for Government.

I like All About Agatha Judy - although I can't listen in order because I will only listen to the ones where I've already read the book!

My top favourite is Kermode & Mayo's Film Reviews. I love their banter, plus Mark Kermode is deeply knowledgeable about the history and culture of film, without ever coming over as an 'anorak'!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10021 comments Mod
Thanks, I will have a look, Sue.

message 10: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 2880 comments Sue wrote: "Susan I listen to Talking Politics and All Out Politics too. As you like them, you might like Inside Briefing, which is from the Institute for Government.

I like All About Agatha Judy - although ..."

Thank you, Sue!

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 254 comments I keep meaning to try out Slightly foxed - thank you for the reminder!

message 12: by Colin (new)

Colin | 246 comments The Men Who Explain Miracles, an intermittent series focusing on golden age mysteries is highly entertaining and very informative - https://theinvisibleevent.com/themenw...

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) | 250 comments Colin wrote: "The Men Who Explain Miracles, an intermittent series focusing on golden age mysteries is highly entertaining and very informative - https://theinvisibleevent.com/themenw..."

Thanks for this Colin. Do you usually just listen on their website? I tried searching on my normal podcaster and it couldn't find this one. Sounds very interesting though!

message 14: by Colin (new)

Colin | 246 comments Yes Sue, I listen via the website whenever a new podcast is added.

message 15: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 314 comments Sue wrote: "Colin wrote: "The Men Who Explain Miracles, an intermittent series focusing on golden age mysteries is highly entertaining and very informative - https://theinvisibleevent.com/themenw... for this Colin. Do you usually just listen on their website? I tried searching on my normal podcaster and it couldn't find this one. "

I use Castbox Sue and found it there.

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) | 250 comments Ruth wrote: "I use Castbox Sue and found it there. ..."

Thanks Ruth, I'll give that a whirl!

message 17: by Tania (last edited Jan 15, 2020 05:45AM) (new)

Tania | 423 comments The second half of the latest 'Tea or Books' podcast might be of interest to this group as they are comparing Agatha Christie and Dorothy L Sayers. http://www.stuckinabook.com/tea-or-bo....

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) | 250 comments Thank you Tania. I've downloaded that one too! I'm getting some great suggestions from this thread. :-)

message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) | 250 comments I mentioned Shedunnit earlier, and today I found two more podcasts through her. She had a couple of people do guest slots whilst she was away and they are both very good.

One is "Words To That Effect" and the blurb says:
"Stories of the Fiction that Shapes Popular Culture. Words To That Effect was launched in 2017 and is written, produced, and recorded in Dublin, Ireland. It’s a show about the intriguing places where fiction, history, science, and popular culture intersect. Basically, the podcast answers questions you may not have thought actually needed answering:

Why did the creator of the rational, scientific Sherlock Holmes fervently believe in ghosts and fairies?
Why do aliens always land in New York and never in rural Ireland?
What is transhumanism and can we use technology to live forever?
Why are there so many zombies in popular culture?
Why did Victorians go to parties to unwrap Egyptian mummies?
If these are the types of questions you now desperately need to know the answers to, excellent!"

The other one is The Allusionist by Helen Zaltzman which she describes simply as a podcast about words I'm sure I was subscribed to this before. I often have far too many to listen to, and then I thin them out, but I've subscribed to this one again today.

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) | 250 comments Thanks for all these suggestions - I've picked up a number of good new ones!

If anyone has an interest in knitting, there's a podcast called 'Teaching Your Brain To Knit' which is by two knitters (and academics I think) from California. They do a segment on their knitting projects, then something on how the brain works, then a piece about some aspect of their part of California.

Does anyone listen to good science podcasts? I know of 'The Life Scientific' which is great, but I've never really settled on any others.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2789 comments Mod
Sue wrote: "Thanks for all these suggestions - I've picked up a number of good new ones!

If anyone has an interest in knitting, there's a podcast called 'Teaching Your Brain To Knit' which is by two knitters ..."

I listen to a lot of science podcasts: Science Friday and Big Picture Science (US), Naked Scientists (UK), Science In Action and Inside Science (BBC), Quirks and Quarks (Canadian), The Science Show (Australian), Science Weekly, Science Magazine, Science Talk, Nature. Think I remembered most. Lots of duplication of course, but I need the reinforcement.

message 22: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 76 comments Sandy wrote: "Sue wrote: "Thanks for all these suggestions - I've picked up a number of good new ones!

If anyone has an interest in knitting, there's a podcast called 'Teaching Your Brain To Knit' which is by t..."

🤗 We all need the reinforcement Sandy!
Thanks for a terrific list!