Nonfiction Nerds discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Upcoming Themes 2020

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy (amybf) | 114 comments How about medicine/medical topics?

message 2: by Diane Standish (new)

Diane Standish (crazeedi) | 4 comments agree with medicine/medical

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurab22) | 6 comments Maritime history, post-war

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sample (rachels89) How about nature/wildlife and survival stories?

message 5: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (brookebecker) | 24 comments Science : Nature is one I am really getting into lately!

message 6: by Diane Standish (new)

Diane Standish (crazeedi) | 4 comments thanks lauren!!

message 7: by Daria, Winging this mod thing! (new)

Daria Zeoli (dariazeoli) | 234 comments Mod
Unfortunately, it looks like Lauren’s posts have been deleted, so her original list of themes is gone. If anyone remembers any of them, please share!

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy (amybf) | 114 comments What about legal/crime? Would anyone be interested in that?

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy (amybf) | 114 comments I believe history was also mentioned originally.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy (amybf) | 114 comments Also biography and/or autobiography

message 11: by Daria, Winging this mod thing! (new)

Thanks, Amy! That helped! All of those are great themes, too.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy (amybf) | 114 comments Just throwing this one out — what about sports as a theme? In the rare times I read a sports book it’s usually a biography (i.e. I read a bio of Lou Gehrig last year), but I’m sure there are various angles to come at it as a theme.

message 13: by Daria, Winging this mod thing! (new)

I actually have Phil Jackson’s More Than a Game on my TBR. And Michael Jordan’s biography. So I’m not adverse to sports!

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Lamothe | 5 comments I like Amy's idea about legal/crime stuff.

message 15: by Diana (new)

Diana (diana_medina) | 8 comments Legal/true crime sounds good.

message 16: by Amy Alice (new)

Amy Alice (amyalicejakob) medical gets my vote

message 17: by Daria, Winging this mod thing! (new)

I’ll be adding medical and legal/true crime to our schedule for the next few months since they seem to be the most popular. This thread will be open indefinitely so keep those topics coming.

message 18: by Jayme (last edited Feb 08, 2020 04:46AM) (new)

Jayme | 62 comments How about travel as a theme?
Also for biographies/autobiographies/memoirs etc.
What if we narrowed the theme a little bit for example; musicians/actors, world leaders, writers etc.

message 19: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 77 comments I personally love history and science. I am into medieval history if anyone is interested (I got Joan of Arc on deck). Another topic I enjoy a lot is space. And tech.

message 20: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 62 comments Marta wrote: "I personally love history and science. I am into medieval history if anyone is interested (I got Joan of Arc on deck). Another topic I enjoy a lot is space. And tech."

The space theme gets my vote.

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy (amybf) | 114 comments I like the travel theme, too. And also space.

message 22: by Dianna (new)

Dianna | 3 comments Just some general ideas to add:
- Essay collection
- Mental health/addition
- Food memoirs
- Graphic memoirs

I also really like the idea of narrowing down large topics like Jayme suggested. Biography and history could easily get overwhelming. It would be easier to say WWII history, civil rights era, medieval, etc. I also really love the space and travel ideas!

message 23: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 77 comments Daria wrote: "I actually have Phil Jackson’s More Than a Game on my TBR. And Michael Jordan’s biography. So I’m not adverse to sports!"

I don’t think I have ever read a sports book, but that Michael Jordan is on my list, too. And this one: Sum It Up: 1,098 Victories, a Couple of Irrelevant Losses, and a Life in Perspective - the greatest woman coach, ever!

message 24: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 77 comments Another category I read occasionally is business/tech. I don’t read too many so I keep them together. I am mostly interested in ones about overall trends or people so not the “how to get ahead in the workplace” type stuff. I just remembered because I am starting on The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business on audio.

Barbara (The Bibliophage) (barbarathebibliophage) | 64 comments Let's consider adding social justice to our list of topics.

message 26: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 62 comments I'll second the social justice theme.

message 27: by Bethany (last edited Feb 25, 2020 09:44AM) (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

Link is to List of Dewey Decimal Classes. Cool research for topics. There are 10 classes, with 10 subclasses, and another level of 10 under that!

message 28: by Daria, Winging this mod thing! (new)

I chose “don’t boo, vote” as our November theme, because here in the States, we’ve got a very important election looming. Plus, I’m still making my way through Alexander Hamilton and it would be nice to have company!

Since I realize many are poiliticked out, or simply prefer not to read about it, I’d like to have a second theme for November. I’d like to keep the second theme light, so I’m thinking humor, or pop culture... stay tuned as I plan to open nominations on the 15th like always.

message 29: by Daria, Winging this mod thing! (new)

Hi everyone! Hope you're all feeling good about what we've read so far this year. There have been a lot of non-fiction books that wouldn't have crossed my radar, so thank you to this group for putting them there!

I wanted to feel everyone out as we're due to start nominating our December book next week. I know that the end-of-year holiday rush, as well as tying up one's 2020 TBR stack, can make it a super busy month. So I had a few suggestions:

1. Theme: Super Short Reads - let's nominate something that's 200 pages or less. That's it. No other rules, except the non-fiction one.
2. Theme: 2020 Runners Up - no new noms, just a poll for some books that made it to prior months' polls this year
3. December Break - no monthly read for December, to give us all a chance to refresh for 2021.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy (amybf) | 114 comments I would be up for any of these suggestions!

message 31: by Sam (new)

Sam | 52 comments I'm up for a book but like the idea of something short. I'm way behind on the books I want to read.

Barbara (The Bibliophage) (barbarathebibliophage) | 64 comments I like the idea of a short book in December. Maybe we can do Runners Up in January!

message 33: by Daria, Winging this mod thing! (new)

Thanks Amy, Sam, & Barbara. Short book it is!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.