Play Book Tag discussion

This Tender Land
This topic is about This Tender Land
Archive: Other Books > This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger - 5 Stars and a Favorite

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivermagnus (last edited Jan 10, 2020 06:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1906 comments This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger
This Tender Land - William Kent Krueger - 5 Stars and 💕💖💝

Odie O’Banion is in his eighties as the book begins, looking back at the summer of 1932 and the journey taken by him and his three close friends. Almost immediately we meet brothers Odie and Albert, age 12 and 16, who have been living at the Lincoln Indian Training School for the past four years, following the death of their parents. Their closest friend is Mose, a Native American boy left mute when someone cut out his tongue. Rounding out the group that will soon leave the school is Emmy, the young daughter of one of the school’s teachers. While the school has a few kind people working there, an awful woman runs it, a woman the children call the Black Witch.

The four flee the school in a canoe, beginning their journey down the Gilead River. Though scared and without any great plan in mind, they have each other and a strong desire to find something more. Along the way, they see all facets of American life: Hoovervilles, droughts, struggling small towns, opulent hotels, and religious revivals. It’s a fascinating look at Depression-era America and those who inhabited it. Along the way, Odie, Albert, Emmy and Mose all learn what ‘home’ means to them.

The author did a masterful job of bringing everything together at the end, Crafted in exquisitely beautiful prose, this is a story to be treasured – outstanding and unforgettable. If you are someone who does audios, I highly recommend you enjoy This Tender Land that way. This book should be savored.

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments I loved the book too. Great review.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I must get to this one. It looks like it will be a homerun for me!

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Nicole R wrote: "I must get to this one. It looks like it will be a homerun for me!"

If you like this type of book, you might try, Montana 1948, by Watson, and The Bottoms by Joe Landsdale. And of course Ordinary Grace

message 5: by Rachel N. (new) - added it

Rachel N. | 1431 comments I just got this for Christmas. I'll have to fit it into my reading plans soon.

message 6: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments David wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "I must get to this one. It looks like it will be a homerun for me!"

If you like this type of book, you might try, Montana 1948, by Watson, and The Bottoms by Joe Landsdale. And of..."

thank you for the recommendations!

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8164 comments I cannot wait to read this book! Its extremely high on my to get to list....

Doughgirl5562 | 704 comments I loved it, too! It's the only book that I bought last year on the release date.

Did you catch all of the connections to The Odyssey? I think it is a very good read even if you aren't familiar with the epic Greek poem, but if you do know the Odyssey storyline that adds another layer to this novel. (view spoiler)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1906 comments There are some touches of Huckleberry Finn and Wizard of Oz too. It was such a wonderful story. I' was worried at first that it wouldn't live up to all the reviews I'd read, but it certainly did for me.

message 10: by Barbara M (new) - added it

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments This is on my TBR, I now want to get to it soon.

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Rachel N. wrote: "I just got this for Christmas. I'll have to fit it into my reading plans soon."

It's worth the read.

message 12: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki | 661 comments Wow - I've never heard of this one but it looks amazing. Thanks for the great review!

Doughgirl5562 | 704 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "There are some touches of Huckleberry Finn and Wizard of Oz too. It was such a wonderful story. I' was worried at first that it wouldn't live up to all the reviews I'd read, but it certainly did fo..."

I get the Huck Finn references, but Wizard of Oz?

message 14: by Booknblues (new) - added it

Booknblues | 5321 comments Oh this sounds right up my alley!

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1906 comments Doughgirl5562 wrote: " Olivermagnus wrote: "There are some touches of Huckleberry Finn and Wizard of Oz too. It was such a wonderful story. I' was worried at first that it wouldn't live up to all the reviews I'd read, b..."

Four friends on a journey, each hoping to find the thing they most desire made me think of TWoO. They talk about home too, which made me think of "there's no place like home".

message 16: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 2711 comments It's sitting on my shelf demanding my attention. I bought a hard copy. Now I'm thinking I might need the audiobook as well. My favorite indy bookstore had it shelved with the mysteries. Does that make sense?

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8164 comments On its way to my library!

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1906 comments Jgrace wrote: "It's sitting on my shelf demanding my attention. I bought a hard copy. Now I'm thinking I might need the audiobook as well. My favorite indy bookstore had it shelved with the mysteries. Does that m..."

There's a thread of mystery throughout the book but it's primarily historical fiction. I think because William Kent Krueger writes a mystery series, the person who did the shelving just assumed this one was as well

message 19: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 2711 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "Jgrace wrote: "It's sitting on my shelf demanding my attention. I bought a hard copy. Now I'm thinking I might need the audiobook as well. My favorite indy bookstore had it shelved with the mysteri..."

:) That's what one of the store clerks said to me when I couldn't find it. It's calling very loudly to me right now. But, I'm going to start my 'thriller' for this month's tag.

Doughgirl5562 | 704 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "Doughgirl5562 wrote: " Olivermagnus wrote: "There are some touches of Huckleberry Finn and Wizard of Oz too. It was such a wonderful story. I' was worried at first that it wouldn't live up to all t..."

Ahhhh....

message 21: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I'm disappointed to see I can't get the audio from my library, but I have instead requested a print copy. Thanks for the fantastic review.

message 22: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments Added to the pile. Thanks for your review.