Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General - Group Business > April 2020 books of the month nominations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel, Moderator (last edited Jan 17, 2020 05:09PM) (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2175 comments Mod
Spring seems far away to me, but it's time to make our April book selection!

Each group member can make 1 science fiction and/or 1 fantasy nomination. If you would like to make a nomination, please post in this thread with the title and author of the book(s) you would like to put forward for the group’s consideration. A couple of suggestions to keep in mind:

1. Telling us a little about the book and why you think it would be a good group read can help get other members interested in reading (and voting for) your nomination. If possible, please use a link to the book and author in your nomination post. Click on “add book/author" for an easy way to do that.

2. To see if your nomination has already been read by the group, you can check:

a. The Beyond Reality Google spreadsheet of Previous Books of the Month, available at this link: Previous Books of the Month in Searchable Spreadsheet. To search for a specific title, use the "Find and Replace" option under the EDIT menu. Don't worry, you will be able to find a title but you will not be able to replace it since the spread sheet is in "View Only" mode.

Or you can use our previous methods:

b. the group's bookshelf for Previous Books of the Month
and/or
c. these threads:
Master list of Previous Books of the Month 2018 - Present
Master list of Previous Books of the Month (Apr-Dec 2017)
Master list of Previous Books of the Month 2012 - 2017
Master list of Previous Books of the Month 2006 - 2011

Books the group has read in the past 2 years are not eligible for current consideration. Being chosen as a past BotM prior to that time is not an automatic disqualification, but be aware that it may hinder your nomination’s chances at the polls.

General guidelines:
• Feel free to re-nominate a book that didn’t win in the polls in previous months!
• For questions regarding specifics such as book formats, books in series, self-nomination and various rules for nominations, please see the group FAQ.
• Seconding is NOT necessary in this group.
• Friendly discussion & debate is strongly encouraged, but please keep things civil.

Schedule:
• Nominations will remain open through Sunday, January 19.
• The first (preliminary) round of polls will open Monday, January 20 and will run through Saturday, January 25.
• The final run-off polls go up Sunday, January 26, and will be open through Friday, January 31.

Thanks!
Shel, for the Mods

NOMINATIONS SO FAR:
FANTASY:
The Gutter Prayer by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan
The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo
The Merciful Crow by Margaret Owen
The Strain by Guillermo del Toro
Starless by Jacqueline Carey
American Gods by Neil Gaiman

SF:
Rosewater by Tade Thompson
Outpost by W. Michael Gear
Legend by Marie Lu
The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi
One Word Kill by Mark Lawrence
Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

message 2: by Paul (last edited Jan 10, 2020 06:45AM) (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 218 comments I'll nominate Rosewater by Tade Thompson for scifi

Set around an 'alien biodome' in Nigeria in the middle of the 21st Century, Thompson's book has won a whole heap of SF awards

For fantasy, The Gutter Prayer by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan

A well-realised and well written gritty, grimy fantasy in a world where magic coexists with early industrialisation, the author brings new spins on several well-worn fantasy tropes. A real page turner, and the sequel has just come out.

message 3: by Kari (last edited Jan 10, 2020 07:52AM) (new)

Kari | 119 comments I'm excited to get back to reading with a group again after a rough back half of 2019! Geared up for Feb's Bear and the Nightingale and March's The Calculating Stars. Here are my noms for April.

The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo mixes historical fiction, fantasy, and ghost stories. It takes place in British Malaya, now part of the federation of Malaysia, and follows a ghost bride, who is set to wed the deceased son of a wealthy family in order to placate his spirit. I do not think I've ever read a fantasy or even historical fiction book that takes place in Malaysia, and mixing history, myth, and fantasy hits all my interest buttons.

Outpost by W. Michael Gear: This has been on my radar for a while. In her review of it, Mogsy from Bibliosanctum equated colonization sci-fi to Westerns, and I have to agree. I love exploring new, inhospitable worlds with unique, gritty characters who often develop their own code of ethics in a lawless land (I just eat up that kind of thing). This book just sounds like a lot of fun.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Kari wrote: "Outpost by W. Michael Gear: This has been on my radar for a while. In her review of it, Mogsy from Bibliosanctum equated colonization sci-fi to Westerns, ..."

I read the first 2 last year & really liked them. Gear's bio is impressive. I read his 'Spider' trilogy a decade or so ago & really liked it, too.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 14 comments SF: Legend - The fourth in the series came out fairly recently, so this seems like a good time to catch up and start with the first.

F: The Merciful Crow - I've heard really good things about this one, and it made a lot of personal Best of 2019 lists from people I follow online.

message 6: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 32 comments I would like to nominate The Ghost Brigades for SF. It is the second book in the old man's war series and I see the group has read Old Man's War. I read it this month and really enjoyed it, would love to read the second with a group.

message 7: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 32 comments For F I would like to nominate The Strain
Its been on my want to read shelf for years, I own a copy and would love to read it with a group. It mixes many genres including fantasy and horror, which makes it a winner in my book.

message 8: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I'm going to toss some nominations into the ring this month!

For fantasy, I'm going to propose Starless by Jacqueline Carey. I really loved her Kushiel's Legacy books, and I keep seeing this one pop up on lists of books that feature genderqueer characters, which I'd like to read more of.

For SF, I'll again propose One Word Kill by Mark Lawrence. From what I've heard, it seems to be in a similar vein to Ready Player One, which I really enjoyed.

message 9: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 32 comments I’ll second legend

message 10: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (skitch41) | 28 comments For SF, I would like to nominate Green Mars By Kim Stanley Robinson. I read the first book, Red Mars, back in October for this group as well as for the 24-hour Readathon and I really enjoyed it. I am eager to read about the continuing colonization of Mars after the previous books shocking ending.

For Fantasy, I would like to nominate American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I am still very interested in reading this book and then watching the Starz series as I really like Ian McShane.

message 11: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 32 comments I’ll second American gods as well as I have 2 copies and haven’t read it yet.

message 12: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Last chance for additional nominations! I'll be posting the first round polls tomorrow!

message 13: by Shel, Moderator (new)

First round polls are up! Cast your votes:

Preliminary fantasy poll

Preliminary science fiction poll

message 14: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Final polls are available for voting!

Final fantasy poll

Final SF poll

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.