Project Mayhem discussion

Motifs & Modern Myths > We're slowly taking all the fun out of childhood

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob (merovigan) I read this today and it got me to thinking...are we? And if we are...do we have to?

My first inclination is that we are, but I think this is a very general concept that allows people to insert their pet peeve in and say "See! Because of this thing that bothers me, 'We're slowly taking all the fun out of childhood'!" In fact the person who said this today said it in reference to not teaching children about the Santa myth.

I have my own pet peeve and it's over-scheduling children in activities. Just going to high school, middle school, or grade school isn't enough. Nope...in modern society you have to have them in at least one, if not three different clubs at all times.

I see this as silly and distracting. Children need to learn socialization, sure. They need to learn time management, ok. But, they mostly need to learn to RELAX! Life is about relaxing and earning enough money to relax comfortably.

What are your thoughts? What do you blame for slowly taking all the fun out of childhood?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I was about to post a comment to Rob's post that went something like ' Yeah!...YEAH!...YEAH! I AGREE! That is why my own daughter will be home schooled as of June, but then I noticed your post Sabrina and I felt compelled to as you how that is working out for you?
I know that isn't EXACTLY what this forum is about, but I am still slightly nervous about the home schooling, and I like to hear what other home school moms (And dads have to say).
I am excited to begin what I consider to be my daughter's real education and I agree with you Sabrina 100 % on the schedules and play times.
Also I believe the mental effects of the rigidity of the schedule are detrimental for life.
Who doesn't remember the agony of waking up on a beautiful spring or fall or hell even winter morning and having to hurry up and get to school, to a class you were bored in with a teacher that didn't like you, for example.
Just my humble opinion.

message 3: by Molly (last edited Mar 20, 2008 12:28PM) (new)

Molly (mollyhell) I think the happy-go-lucky childhood full of innocence is a myth.

Until only the last hundred years (or less) or so, you could expect to work as a child and get married as early as possible. Then you had to be Seen and Not Heard. I'd say around the 1950's the Beaver Cleaver idea came forth, the carefree kid, the need for childish pursuits, etc.

I think it's part and parcel of people wanting to remain free and childlike until their 40's now. They want to indulge themselves, be selfish, and remain immature douchebags until death, almost, these days.

Then on the other hand you have people so worked over by the corporate work ethic they want their kids to start french lessons as toddlers. IMO, both ideas suck. Kids need to learn to socialize, sure, they need to learn to read and do a lot of it, they need exercise, they need some chores, and they need to get their future morals pounded in. Things like "No, rich does not equal better" and "No, you must never hurt an animal" and "Looking different does not mean ugly or lesser" and "Only brainless losers wear clothes just like everyone else wears" etc.

But for childhood to be a time of shining play, and doing nothing, it's a myth and unhealthy, unless we want more spoiled immature brats in this world and we already have far far far too many.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I'm still digesting some of this, y'all. (I swear I'm not that southern sounding in real life.) I have a feeling that no matter what I say or think now, my perspective would be different if I had kids...

message 5: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyhell) Sabrina said:
Yeah, they're probably the weird kids, but so are my husband and I, so public school wouldn't fix that. But I do know that I do not have to worry about buying this designer jacket or those $100 sneakers because so-and-so in class has them. And they're kind-hearted and caring individuals. They'll be an asset to society, but they won't need to follow the masses to feel comfortable.
=====================================

Sounds like a family after my own heart, :D

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (pheephyphophum) | 176 comments Mod
Wow, I'm glad I finally had a minute to read this! I too would like to home school my kids (when I have some) so I'm getting some awesome tips here :-)

I think someone mentioned the time and corporate thing. With both parents working usually, I think parents shove so much at their kids so that they don't have to deal with them, really. Sure, it's fun, sociable, educational, but they also allow the child to be out of their hair for a few hours so they can enjoy some peace and quiet, lol.

I'm sure there is an entire pie chart of motivations though.