CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2020 > w/o January 10 to 16, 2020

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3625 comments Mod
Good morning readers!

It has been a very exciting week with the announcement of the Canada Reads long-list. For those that are new, The Canada Reads event and threads garner the most excitement and robust discussion. Check them out!

Will you be starting the long-list or waiting for that short-list? Which books are most interesting to you?

Aside from the Canada Reads excitement, what reading have you been up to this week? What is next?

message 2: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Jan 10, 2020 06:56AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1720 comments Good morning! There are a few books on the Canada Reads longlist that I'd like to checkout, though by the time I get to them, the shortlist will be here anyway. I definitely want to focus on the shortlisted titles first.

I'm still chugging away at Reproduction. The style of the book is original, no doubt, but it's not exactly a page turner.

I'm currently listening to Bel Canto. I've only read one of her other books, but Ann Patchett is an author that folks seem to love, and I just didn't get it with the book I read previously. Fingers crossed that I love Bel Canto as much as others seem to in their reviews!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 764 comments Happy Friday!

This week I finished my first book for bingo and the indigenous reading challenge: Heart Berries. I liked this book and it definitely made me think a lot but I found that the writing style held me at arm's length. Also, the sequencing of the chapters/essays seemed a bit off. So, this was a good but not great read for me.

I'm currently reading No Great Mischief, also for bingo, which I'm enjoying although it seems to be going slowly for me. Yesterday I started Antisocial: Online Extremists, Techno-Utopians, and the Hijacking of the American Conversation. I was a bit nervous about this one but decided to give it a try after hearing the author interviewed on many podcasts. So far, it's really compelling.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 330 comments Happy Friday all!

A few days ago, I finished my first bingo book Hum If You Don’t Know the Words, which happens to also be the pick for bookclub this month. I loved the writing and the story line. I am now onto my second bingo book Stolen Sisters: An Inquiry into Feminicide in Canada, which was a gift from my Secret Sender. Thank you! It is another hard topic to read through, though essential. I'm finding the writing style lengthier to get through even though it's a compact 200ish pages.

I also finished my first Indigenous reading challenge book Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death, and Hard Truths in a Northern City, on audio, of which was amazing and eye opening, to say the least. Wow! very powerful and brought me to tears.

After putting several audio books on hold from the library I was, shortly thereafter, notified that 2 came in at once! eek! And I was still listening to Seven Fallen Feathers. Needless to say, I will be heavy on the listening this next week. Both from the Canada Reads longlist: We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir and Radicalized.

I was half the way through People Who Eat Darkness: The True Story of a Young Woman Who Vanished from the Streets of Tokyo--and the Evil That Swallowed Her Up on (audible audio) when the library audios came through. This true crime, which has pulled me in, will be put on hold until the more time sensitive audios are done. Torture!

Have a great weekend.

message 5: by ❀ Susan (last edited Jan 10, 2020 01:38PM) (new)

Greetings!!

I have had a good reading week and finished The Hour of the Fox which was ok but not nearly as good as The Piano Maker which I really enjoyed.

I read the first Agatha Christie novel The Mysterious Affair at Styles which was also ok and was sadly educated that I should eat less cheese in The Cheese Trap: How Breaking a Surprising Addiction Will Help You Lose Weight, Gain Energy, and Get Healthy which my FD recommended.

I learned a lot and appreciated the brutal honesty in From the Ashes: My Story of Being Métis, Homeless, and Finding My Way which I mentioned in the Canada Reads thread is something that everyone should read so that there is more understanding and less judgement for people who are homeless, struggling and have mental health and addictions issues. It was a difficult story but it is refreshing to read about the resilience and knowing that the author has now written a book, is a university assistant professor and has a book on the Canada Reads long list!

@Allison - i too struggled with the pace of Reproduction
@Susan - keep at it, No Great Mischief is such a great story which i would like to revisit
@Sarah - some serious topics this week. Seven Fallen Feathers was eye opening too... and unbelievable!

message 6: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 562 comments Happy Friday to all! I am currently reading Empire of Wild and about 1/3 through, so far I am really enjoying the characters and the mythical aspects of the story. I will add this with the play I read, This Is How We Got Hereto our Indigenous reads challenge. I don't usually read plays, so this was good for me to delve into something different. Was packed with much emotion in a short but memorable read.

On audio I am listening to The Silent Wife- a book that has been on my TBR for years, I have the paper copy on my shelf and am dedicated to getting through my own books this year as a priority.

I did finish The Wives as my first read of 2020, I'll just groan, roll my eyes and leave it there.

@Susan and @Susan: No Great Mischief- I would also re-read that one, @Sarah- Seven Fallen Feathers was heartbreaking, there are no simple words for what I felt after reading it. @Allison- I couldn't get into Reproduction, but as it "won" I think I better give it another try at some point. @Susan- I don't think I can ever give up cheese LOL

message 7: by Petra (new)

Petra | 700 comments Happy Weekend!

I finished reading The 42nd Parallel this week. It's the first of a trilogy and I plan on starting the next book in a week or so. I'm really enjoying it.

I also read a short graphic novel, Sugar Falls: A Residential School Story. It's very short and meant for a younger audience. As such, details are missing, which meant that some of the impact was missing for me. However, this is a good introduction to the important subject of the residential school issues, how they started, the traumas they caused and how they are with us still today.

Today I started reading When The Saints. It drew me in right away. What an interesting beginning!
This book will be part of our January Challenge: read a book that's been on your TBR list for a long while. It will also fit for one of the Bingo squares, I'm sure. And it's Canadian. :D

message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1268 comments I am still making my way through The Death Of Donna Whalen. I'm not crazy about how the author changed the first person accounts into the 3rd person. It is not smooth, but it's an interesting story nonetheless.

In audio I am listening to The Waiting Hours. I am almost finished and it is FABULOUS! We are plunged into the lives of three first-responders and the suspense builds from there.

I have to share a funny story about what happened at my book club meeting last night. We were discussing Wuthering Heights when one member asked us what we thought about the erotic scenes. We all froze and stared at her. What erotic scenes?? Turns out the book she read was Wuthering Nights: An Erotic Retelling of Wuthering Heights. The cover says it's by Emily Brontë so she really had no clue that she had read the wrong book until she saw our faces when she mentioned the erotic scenes, hahaha.

message 9: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 752 comments Happy Friday!
This week I finished The Other Wife, a book given to me as a gift from Christmas. It was good, but I wasn't totally engaged. The 2 audiobooks I finished however, were fantastic: Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family and A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II.
Currently reading City of the Lost and will be starting We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir in audiobook, on the Canada Reads longlist. My library hold for Dear Scarlet: The Story of My Postpartum Depression has just come through.

I too really liked Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death, and Hard Truths in a Northern City which I read last year.

@Louise, totally loved your story at book club, too funny!!

Countdown to Bermuda and meeting up with @Rainey!!
Have a great weekend!

message 10: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 562 comments @Louise- Oh how that poor book club member must've felt when she realized the book she read had a bit of a different twist LOL. Too funny! I read The Waiting Hours this summer- a Secret Sender gift and LOVED it! I'm still thinking about it. I would like to read her other book, Under This Unbroken Sky.

message 11: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 375 comments @Louise - I read The Waiting Hours and enjoyed it very much. The author is Canadian, too, which is a plus!
Love your story about Book Club.

message 12: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Jan 11, 2020 06:12AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1720 comments @Sarah, I really enjoyed Hum If You Don’t Know the Words, and thank you since you sent it to me for the 2019 Secret Sender exchange!

@Susan, I wasn't a fan of The Hour of the Fox either. I haven't read any of his other books.

@Wanda, my book club did The Silent Wife a few months ago. I think the rise of these domestic thrillers in the last number of years has left us expecting more from them. I can understand its popularity when it came out (2013ish I think), but I don't think it would pack the same punch if it was published today. Still a decent book though!

@Louise, love your book club story. That's hilarious.

message 13: by Connie (new)

Connie Paradowski | 55 comments Just finished No Great Mischief by Alistair MacLeod and loved it. Reading and listening to Becoming Mrs Lewis for local book club. Enjoying it very much.

Next up Amphibian thanks to the great recommendations from this group. Not helping with lessening my TBR stack but so be it. Like many here the only book on the Giller long list I have read is Son of a Trickster.

As well I am slowly working my way through Illiad as read along with goodreads group and With Fire and Sword by Henryk Sienkiewicz with my husband who is of Polish descent.

message 14: by Story (last edited Jan 11, 2020 03:29PM) (new)

Story (storyheart) Happy weekend to all.

@ Louise, such a funny story about Wuthering Heights. I hope your book friend at least got a thrill out of reading the wrong version. I glanced at that book on the new books shelf at my library and it was pretty racy.

This week I finished and LOVED Frankissstein: A Love Story.

For the indigenous reading challenge, I am about half-way through In This Together: Fifteen Stories of Truth and Reconciliation and finding it very thought-provoking; it also gave me some extra context for a class I took yesterday with Haida weaver Todd DeVries in which he talked about being a victim of the Sixties Scoop and told us about the effect that has had on his life and how difficult it has been to re-build connections to his birth family and culture.

I also read Modern Native Feasts: Healthy, Innovative, Sustainable Cuisine for our challenge.

I've just started the audiobook version of Erin Morgenstern's The Starless Sea. So far, so good.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 330 comments @Allison I’m glad you enjoyed Hum...!

@Louise that is a hilarious story! I’m sure that was quite the moment and realization. Lol.

message 16: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 426 comments I ended up digging into Emma Donoghue's Frog Music which I have had loaded onto my Kindle for a very long time.
I always love her books,

message 17: by Gail (last edited Jan 11, 2020 07:15PM) (new)

Gail Amendt | 156 comments I spent the week lost in the confusing world of The Starless Sea, which was both delightful and frustrating at the same time. Erin Morgenstern's writing is so beautifully descriptive and imaginative, but the story is meandering and confusing, and I think a trifle long. I just allowed myself to be swept along and enjoyed the ride, and didn't get too hung up on the things that confused me. I think this one warrants a second read sometime, as I did really enjoy it and would like to see what I missed the first time through.

I'm not sure what I should read next. I know that I have a bunch of books coming in my library's next shipment on Tuesday, including some Canada Reads books, so I need something short. I have a copy of Rose Under Fire, the sequel to one of my all time favorite books, Code Name Verity, so I will probably read that one, even though I promised myself just last week that I would stay away from concentration camp books for a while.

@Louise...your story is so funny. I hope your friend wasn't too embarrassed!

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine Stobbe Louise wrote: "I am still making my way through The Death Of Donna Whalen. I'm not crazy about how the author changed the first person accounts into the 3rd person. It is not smooth, but it's an in..."
Oh my goodness, Louise, thank you for giving me the best laugh I've had all day!!! That's hilarious.

message 19: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1268 comments Wanda wrote: " I read The Waiting Hours this summer- a Secret Sender gift and LOVED it! I'm still thinking about it. I would like to read her other book, Under This Unbroken Sky.."

Yes, I am interested in reading more by her as well.

message 20: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1268 comments Gail wrote: "@Louise...your story is so funny. I hope your friend wasn't too embarrassed!."

She was surprisingly not embarrassed. We were about 20 people and we all stared at her in confusion when she mentioned the erotic scenes, so then she pulled the book up on her phone and "we" all being women of a certain age, could not see all that well on her small phone and it took awhile to decipher the actual title. At first we thought it was Withering Heights which might have been more apropos had it been Heathcliff and Catherine in their twilight years, hahaha. She was a good sport and we all had a good laugh.

message 21: by ❀ Susan (new)

I think our book club would have been peeing their pants laughing over that!! So funny!!

message 22: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1268 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "I think our book club would have been peeing their pants laughing over that!! So funny!!"

Pretty much :-)