The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hi from Manila!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lay (last edited Jan 10, 2020 03:50AM) (new)

Lay Duaso (goodreadscomlayduaso) | 11 comments Hi everyone! My name is Lay from (too) sunny, traffic-choked Manila. I'm in my 30's and am primarily a science fiction/fantasy nerd, though I also do love me a good mystery. I've been trying to go through the great fictional detectives and have only explored Sherlock Holmes, Father Brown, Hercule Poirot in-depth thus far. I've just recently started my Miss Marple journey and thinking of continuing on to the rest of Christie's books after.

I'm afraid I don't know a lot when it comes to modern mystery writers--I read a couple of Ruth Ware last year and liked them well enough--so any recommendations from you guys would be very much welcome. And that's it--I look forward to learning a lot from this community and from everyone here!

message 2: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1530 comments Welcome Lay

message 3: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 291 comments Welcome to the group, Lay. Agatha Christie is an excellent choice, but since you're also looking for modern English authors similar to Ruth Ware, I can recommend Clare Mackintosh (my favourite), Fiona Barton, Paula Hawkins and C.L. Taylor.

message 4: by Lay (new)

Lay Duaso (goodreadscomlayduaso) | 11 comments Thomas wrote: "Welcome Lay"
Thanks, Thomas! Glad to be here.

message 5: by Lay (new)

Lay Duaso (goodreadscomlayduaso) | 11 comments Tone wrote: "Welcome to the group, Lay. Agatha Christie is an excellent choice, but since you're also looking for modern English authors similar to Ruth Ware, I can recommend Clare Mackintosh (..."

Super! Thanks for the welcome and recommendations, Tone. I'll check out Clare for now.

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill Welcome to the group, Lay. You might also like to try Minette Walters or Martin Walker

message 7: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 286 comments Another recommendation; Asta’s Book by Barbara Vine Asta’s Book by Barbara Vine

message 8: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 286 comments Also (not to overwhelm you Lay), but anything by Lisa Jewell

or for an excellent police ptoceedural, read Close to Home (DI Adam Fawley, #1) by Cara Hunter Close to Home by Cara Hunter

message 9: by Lay (new)

Lay Duaso (goodreadscomlayduaso) | 11 comments Thanks so much, Bill and Icewineanne! I'm stoked to have all these recommendations from mystery lovers--this way, figuring out my next read is one less mystery for me to solve. ; ) I've added these books to my growing must-check list.

message 10: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8960 comments Mod
Welcome, Lay!!

message 11: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 286 comments Lay wrote: "Thanks so much, Bill and Icewineanne! I'm stoked to have all these recommendations from mystery lovers--this way, figuring out my next read is one less mystery for me to solve. ; ) I've added these..."

Let us know how you find the recommendations Lay!
Cheers 🐥

message 12: by Lay (new)

Lay Duaso (goodreadscomlayduaso) | 11 comments Nancy wrote: "Welcome, Lay!!"

Thank you, Nancy! Happy to be here.

message 13: by Lay (new)

Lay Duaso (goodreadscomlayduaso) | 11 comments Icewineanne wrote: "Lay wrote: "Thanks so much, Bill and Icewineanne! I'm stoked to have all these recommendations from mystery lovers--this way, figuring out my next read is one less mystery for me to solve. ; ) I've..."

Will do! ^^

message 14: by Lay (new)

Lay Duaso (goodreadscomlayduaso) | 11 comments Tone wrote: "Welcome to the group, Lay. Agatha Christie is an excellent choice, but since you're also looking for modern English authors similar to Ruth Ware, I can recommend Clare Mackintosh (..."

Lay wrote: "Tone wrote: "Welcome to the group, Lay. Agatha Christie is an excellent choice, but since you're also looking for modern English authors similar to Ruth Ware, I can recommend [author:Clare Mackinto..."

Hi Tone, just done with "I See You". I picked it over her other books because I thought I'd be able to relate to it more, being a daily commuter myself. I found it entertaining and thought Clare's experience with the police force really shone through! It ended a bit loose for me though, and I craved more excitement in the final pages. I'm open to trying her other books after I get through the other suggestions here. Thank you again for the reco!

message 15: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 291 comments You're most welcome, Lay. I'm glad you found the book entertaining.

message 16: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 571 comments Hello Lay,
Have you ever read any mystery, crime or suspense genre based in the Philippines?

message 17: by Lay (new)

Lay Duaso (goodreadscomlayduaso) | 11 comments Wendy wrote: "Hello Lay,
Have you ever read any mystery, crime or suspense genre based in the Philippines?"

Hi Wendy! Great question. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't really read a lot of Philippine fiction. What I have read are mostly under the fantasy/mythology genre--and here I might be able to recommend a few--but sadly I haven't come across any for mystery/crime. I hope to remedy this soon now that you've put me on to it!

message 18: by Lay (new)

Lay Duaso (goodreadscomlayduaso) | 11 comments Icewineanne wrote: "Lay wrote: "Thanks so much, Bill and Icewineanne! I'm stoked to have all these recommendations from mystery lovers--this way, figuring out my next read is one less mystery for me to solve. ; ) I've..."

I recently finished my first Lisa Jewell book, Icewineanne. I chose The Family Upstairs. I'm afraid I wasn't too sold on the choice of first-person POV for the main character Libby, but the overall set-up was really intriguing and creepy. The use of the unreliable narrator was also well done! Thanks for the reco!