Bahá'í Readers discussion

Reading Goals for 2020

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candace (new)

Candace Hill | 3 comments Hello All in this group, let's see if we can have some literary discussion to encourage our teaching and service. I have a reading goal for 2020, which at least I can see some progress on. I don't have a specific Baha'i reading goal, but several books I've started but not finished. A recent purchase has been Mirza Mihdi: The Purest Branch by Boris Handal, so who else has already purchased that one and we can start it together.

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6 comments I just got it. I'll read it with you.

message 3: by Candace (new)

Candace Hill | 3 comments Thanks, I'm about a chapter in.
Candace

message 4: by Keenan (new)

Keenan Crone | 2 comments I will be finishing Gate of the Heart by Nader Saiedi this year. It's been the most life-transforming Baha'i book I've ever read so far, but I have to study it with a group to be disciplined and thorough enough to understand even a fraction.

My other goal is to read the newly translated 'The Call of the Divine Beloved' collection of the writings of Bahá’u’lláh.

message 5: by Candace (new)

Candace Hill | 3 comments Dear Keenan,

I work for the Wilmette Institute and Dr. Saiedi is a highly admired Baha'i scholar indeed. This upcoming online course on the Bayan may fulfill some of your desire for group study on the Writings of the Bab:

Discovering the Báb's Persian Bayán: The Most Holy Book of the Bábí Religion

https://web.cvent.com/event/6b06d8d0-...

Candace

message 6: by Keenan (new)

Keenan Crone | 2 comments Oh no, unfortunately I only saw your message now Candace. I will try to keep an eye on upcoming courses. I have been running a weekly study of Gate of the Heart since June, we are at the end of chapter 7 now.

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Vance I just found this group and am happy to find one that actually has discussions rather than series of announcements, though it's been months since anyone has said anything. Last spring I read "How the South Won the Civil War" by Heather Cox Richardson, one of my new fave historians. She outlines how institutionalized racism is deeply engrained in the fabric of the USA. Shoghi Effendi has said that Baha'u'llah appeared in Persia which was the most corrupt country of that time, but that the Baha'i Administrative Order was presented to the US to develop, which was the most politically corrupt. Richardson points to many legal and. historical examples of racist policies, laws and practices that justify that statement.

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex Cherniachovsky | 4 comments you might like reading "The Coloc of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex Cherniachovsky | 4 comments "The Color of Law"