The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > October Faction (Netflix)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8477 comments I had no idea this existed. Coming January 23rd, based on a graphic novel. Could be a fun companion to Locke & Key and Stranger Things.

https://youtu.be/RexcOKt3k9k

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments Looks like fun. The graphic novel too.

The October Faction, Vol. 1 by Steve Niles

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (raitalle) | 52 comments Oh, it's kind of giving me Sabrina aesthetic crossed with Supernatural creature hunting vibes and I'm into it. Definitely want to check out the graphic novel as well!

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8477 comments Finished this last night. I liked it. It has some nice twists and an unusual ending, making for some excellently complicated characters. Can’t really comment further without spoilers.

A couple of the episodes were directed by Megan Follows, who is also in the show, and I remember her big splashy debut back in 1985 as the title character in Anne of the Green Gables (of which there was yet another remake on CBC/Netflix this year). Looking up her IMDB, it turns out I’ve seen her many times in the ensuing years without realizing it. If I were ever to be an actor, that’s the kind of career I’d want: working steadily as a supporting player without the weight of the whole production on my shoulders.

message 5: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2792 comments Dropped it in ep3 for a couple of reasons...

First, it's WAY too much about the kids being bullied, etc. It's also a little weird that the kids have paranormal experiences but never talk to each other about them (they're fraternal twins and seem very close).

Second, it too neatly checks all the diversity boxes. None of the actual choices bother me, but they don't seem integral to the story and feel like they were tacked on kind of as checklist items. "let's make the couple mixed... he's white, she's black. And we'll make the male kid gay. And he'll be bullied by... and Indian kid."

The funny thing is they do a good job with one of these points (view spoiler)

But mostly it's that it's far too focused on the kids and feels... CW-ish? And without much action so far. I'm down with character development and tension and secrets... but I also was expecting more action and more about the world in which the parents operate.

PS: The comics are good. Not outstanding but good.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8477 comments All of the points you mention are addressed, and are part of the twists. I assume that’s from the comic, so the revelations won’t be a surprise to its readers, but I enjoyed them since I had no familiarity with the source material.

message 7: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8477 comments The MST3K riff on “I Was A Teenage Werewolf” had a line about one of the clearly-not-a-teen actors which has stuck with me all these years: “I’ve got loans to process down at the bank.”

There is some of that going on with these “kids”, but it’s just the reality of show business, like the ban on using actual new babies to portray newborns. Yeah, the minutes-old baby is 18 pounds and the teen mom has crows feet, but whatevs.

message 8: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2792 comments Trike wrote: "All of the points you mention are addressed, and are part of the twists. I assume that’s from the comic, so the revelations won’t be a surprise to its readers, but I enjoyed them since I had no fam..."

Later than ep 3? And does it become less about the kids and their troubles (I get that you couldn't ignore the issues of gay bi-racial teens in a small, white town... But I'm not overly interested in the kids either.)

message 9: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Flores (jesusflores) | 6 comments just saw the first episode, except for the seance, the rest was extremely boring, not a good one to make the viewer interested