Lizziefaye's Comfy Corner discussion

Little House Readathon > Your history with Laura Ingalls Wilder

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 408 comments In this thread tell us about your experiences reading Laura Ingalls Wilder books. Do you have a favorite? What impact did they have on you? At what age did you read them for the first time? Have you visited any Laura Ingalls Wilder homesites? Did you grow up watching Little House on the Prairie on TV like I did?

Books In Every Room | 18 comments I haven’t been around here in awhile. I had a lot of things going on last year that kept me from reading much, but it’s a new year, and I hope to read more.
This subject is dear to my heart because Laura has meant a lot to me since elementary school. The real Laura. Although I did watch the show I was always the one saying, “That didn’t really happen” or “That person didn’t really exist.”
I’ve never been able to visit any of the homes, but maybe after retirement.
I have one shelf of Laura and Roses books, and another shelf of biography type books on them. I’m not really interested in reading the series about Caroline or Martha.
I’m not sure what I’ll read for the readathon, but you can definitely count me in.

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna | 87 comments I was in my 20s and 30s when both the Waltons and Little House on the Prairie aired. My mother loved both of these programs and I watched them regularly with her until I got married. Then I lived on a farmstead raising cattle and growing pasture, but in Arizona. On the weekends, we built a cabin up north. So I was kind of living a modern day off-the-land kind of life although still working in the city. It was a commute from one kind of life to another. I have never read the books. An archaeology colleague and friend of mine has recently visited the sites and purchased books for her daughter who loves Laura Ingalls Wilder. As many have stated who have done both, the TV program was different from the books which is often the case, so I look forward to reading the original experiences of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Thank you Elizabeth for doing this readathon. I now have The Little Cabin in the Woods and Annotated Pioneer Girl on my shelf from the local library to read in February.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 408 comments I love these stories! Thank you both for sharing. I hope that others will share their experiences about how Laura Ingalls Wilder has touched their lives.

message 5: by Ashli (new)

Ashli Lewis (muchfaith22) I grew up reading the Little House series. I had the whole 9 book set, from before I could really read. And I remember reading Little House in the big woods a few times, as a younger reader, and then finally desiring to read more and moving onto the other books as I got older. I was probably at least middle school by the time I read the whole series and by the time I graduated, I’d read the whole series a good few many times. I looooved the simplistic life Laura had. I also would watch the show on tv as it played reruns of course, but liked the books better.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 408 comments I was recently told about a new PBS special called Prairie to Page. I watched it online and really enjoyed it. I hope all of you who are interested will be able to find it online.

message 7: by Gabrigeeta (new)

Gabrigeeta (gabrigeeta_) I grew up reading the original series (I started reading them when I was around 9-10 I think) and when I was a little older (I think like 13) I started watching the TV series with my family. I have watched all 9 seasons (although the last couple weren't my favourite) and there are a couple episodes that my sister and I revisit every so often. Now that I'm in my 20s, I've had the desire to go back and re-read some of my old childhood favourites, the Little House on the Prairie series being one of them.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 408 comments Gabrigeeta wrote: "I grew up reading the original series (I started reading them when I was around 9-10 I think) and when I was a little older (I think like 13) I started watching the TV series with my family. I have..."

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I doubt that I have seen every episode of the show, especially those last couple of years. I did watch it faithfully in the earlier years though. I should go back and just watch it start to finish. I've got the first 2 or 3 seasons on DVD. Are there any services that stream it? What is the best way to watch the entire series? I'd like to do that with The Waltons too. Have you ever watched that show?

Jamie’s Reading | 21 comments I read all the Little House books with my girls when they were little. It’s always been a very special bond between us. Last year my daughter gave me the beautiful “Pioneer Girl” book. I am excited to read it! Thank you for hosting this again this year, Lizzie Faye.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 408 comments Reading wrote: "I read all the Little House books with my girls when they were little. It’s always been a very special bond between us. Last year my daughter gave me the beautiful “Pioneer Girl” book. I am excited..."

What a lovely gift! My copy was a gift from my daughter and husband as well. She has only read Little House in the Big Woods though. She has always been more of a fantasy/dystopian reader. Although she did read Little Women during the Covid shut-down and really liked it. So maybe there is hope! LOL! She just turned 17, so her tastes have plenty of time to fluctuate.

Jamie’s Reading | 21 comments We are so blessed! Great gifts! That’s so cool that your daughter loved “Little Women”. My daughter loves that book so much, too. That’s awesome!

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Henley (laurenandgrayson8) I read the Little House books when I was a little girl, and I am in the process of re-reading them now. My goal is to re-read the entire series this year, I read the first one last summer. I don't remember much from when I read the series the first time so I wanted to read them again to truly enjoy the writing!

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 408 comments Lauren wrote: "I read the Little House books when I was a little girl, and I am in the process of re-reading them now. My goal is to re-read the entire series this year, I read the first one last summer. I don't ..."

That is an awesome goal Lauren. I read them as a child as well. As an adult I listened to only the first four or five on audio a few years back. I don't think I've ever reread the whole series though. It's definitely on my bucket list to reread them all.

Tanya Willis Anderson (thesamplergirl) Elizabeth wrote: "In this thread tell us about your experiences reading Laura Ingalls Wilder books. Do you have a favorite? What impact did they have on you? At what age did you read them for the first time? Have yo..."

I was allowed to stay up late on Monday nights when I was a kid to watch the show on TV. I loved it so much. I think I was about 10 when I started reading the books. My great grandmother made me a bonnet like Laura's and I wore that quite often - I still have it. :)

message 15: by Ashli (new)

Ashli Lewis (muchfaith22) I can’t remember not reading LHotP. I know I was young, reading Little House in the Big Woods. I only read that one for awhile, at least 3 times probably before I continued on. I had the box set. Then, I read the first 3 of Laura’s books probably (always skipped Farmer Boy). I did finally read FB and continued on through the whole Aries in probably middle school. I can’t tell you how many times I read through the whole series in the years after that, and in HS I would start reading at The Long Winter and read through the end multiple times as well. Farmer Boy is probably the one read the least...maybe only a handful of times, verses I can’t count how many times I’ve read the rest.

I love love love LIW. I have many books now about her or her stories, read about half of them. I have never been to any of her sites, but I want to so badly.

message 16: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (syllymom) I have read through the books but it has been a few years. I retired from teaching fifth grade sixteen years ago. The school where I taught was about ten minutes from Mansfield, Missouri. This is where Laura, Almanzo and Rose lived at Rocky Ridge and where the Little House books were written. The Wilders lived there until their deaths and are buried at the Mansfield cemetery.

Tanya Willis Anderson (thesamplergirl) I had a TV crush on Manly when I was 9. lol

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 408 comments Tanya wrote: "I had a TV crush on Manly when I was 9. lol"

Well, didn't we all!! LOL!

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 408 comments Sylvia wrote: "I have read through the books but it has been a few years. I retired from teaching fifth grade sixteen years ago. The school where I taught was about ten minutes from Mansfield, Missouri. This is w..."

Sylvia, how wonderful! I have been to Mansfield twice. I loved visiting there.