Books in the Freezer discussion

Junji Ito
This topic is about Junji Ito
Horror Manga?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben Edwards (last edited Jan 09, 2020 06:21PM) (new)

Ben Edwards | 2 comments I'm curious if other people have any horror manga recommendations?

I finished reading Uzumaki by Junji Ito a few days ago and haven't stopped thinking about it because it messed me up a bit. I want to check out more by Ito but feel like I need a bit of a break.

Also, I know there was an episode on graphic novels in which Devin suggests Shiver by Junji Ito but I feel like there could be a whole episode on manga or even Ito by himself.

message 2: by The (new)

The Reading Murder (bakerstshelves) | 14 comments I would suggest Monster by Naoki Urasawa. Though technically on the crime fiction side, it follows a Japanese doctor as he tries to stop a serial killer whose life he saved when he was a child. Very tense read.

Erased is good for a mix of slasher and existential horror

And Death Note has a unique twist on thriller horror.

message 3: by Ben Edwards (new)

Ben Edwards | 2 comments Baker wrote: "I would suggest Monster by Naoki Urasawa. Though technically on the crime fiction side, it follows a Japanese doctor as he tries to stop a serial killer whose life he saved when he was a child. Ver..."

Thanks! I've watched Deathnote and hadn't really considered checking out the manga. I suppose it's been long enough since I've watched that if I checked it out even if they are similar it wouldn't be such a big deal.

I recently checked out some of Gou Tanabe's Lovecraft manga and while they are good they haven't been super scary so far. Not sure if it's cause I know most of the stories or what. I find the art decent but a bit hard to decipher at times.

message 4: by The (new)

The Reading Murder (bakerstshelves) | 14 comments Yeah, the differences are very minor, but still a good read after you’ve had enough distance from the anime.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bitsyroy) | 1 comments If you read online comics at all, Bastard on Webtoons is great. Sweet Home is better, but is not yet complete.