Play Book Tag discussion

The Starless Sea
This topic is about The Starless Sea
Archive: Other Books > (Poll Ballot) The Starless Sea - Erin Morgenstern - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shelly | 524 comments I so loved The Night Circus and could not wait for The Starless Sea. I was disappointed. The book was a giant web of stories that moved along different strings of space and time. Many of them came together in unexpected ways, but I also have a feeling that I missed a lot of the connections too. The stories got very bogged down and it all seemed disjointed. I felt like Zachary much of the time-- so many questions that didn't really have answers.
I will say that Morgenstern's writing and world building is wonderful. Another book that is very visual. But I got tired of that as well. I wanted things to move along faster. It just wasn't as magical as I was hoping (and anticipating).

message 2: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks for your review. It’s not the only luke warm reception I’ve seen for this one.

message 3: by David (new) - added it

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Nice review.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7232 comments I just got this from my library, after waiting months for it-interested in seeing what side I will fall on. However, if it is as disjointed as you felt it was Shelly, I will throw it back-have no patience for mediocre these days ;)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I seem to be an outlier on this one. I absolutely loved it. While definitely not as good as The Night Circus, the world building is just so extraordinary.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8282 comments Joanne! Do not throw it back! I just got it from the library too. Maybe we will read it together. I loved the Night Circus! I have the feeling I am going to love this one.

Shelly | 524 comments Sara wrote: "I seem to be an outlier on this one. I absolutely loved it. While definitely not as good as The Night Circus, the world building is just so extraordinary."

Sara, I think I may be the outlier! The book has been getting high ratings from most reviewers.