The Pelicans’ Nest discussion

Unto This Last > Favorite Quotes

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Hunt (elmarinero) | 58 comments Mod
“In all buying, consider, first, what condition of existence you cause in the producers of what you buy; secondly, whether the some you have paid is just to the producer, and into proportion lodged in his hands...”

“Unto This Last”, John Ruskin p. 97

message 2: by Christopher (new)

“‘But,’ it is answered, ‘they cannot receive education.’ Why not? That is precisely the point that issue. Charitable persons suppose the worst fault of the rich is to refuse the people meat; and the people cry for their meat, kept back by fraud, to the Lord of Multitudes. Alas! It is not me of which the refusal is cruelest, Or to which the claim is validest. The life is more than the meet. The rich not only refuse food to the poor; they refuse wisdom; they refuse virtues; they refuse salvation. Ye Sheep without Shepherd, it is not the pasture that has been shut from you, but the Presence. Meat! Perhaps you’re right to that may be pleadable; but other rights have to be pleaded first. Claim your crumbs from the table, if you will; but claim them as children, not as dogs; claim your right to be fed, but claim the more loudly your right to be holy, perfect, and pure. ”

“Unto This Last”, John Ruskin Pp. 91-92

message 3: by Irene (new)

Irene | 26 comments Are we specivically reading Gandhi's paraphrase of Ruskin which is what the email I received said, or are we just reading Ruskin? I was specifically searched for the Gandhi's translation which I could only find on kindle (and which I could not access). But, if it is Ruskin, I can look for him at the library.

message 4: by Christopher (new)

No. Previously, another of the group admins had added the book, and I did not realize it. I thought I changed versions yesterday, but I guess it did not work. But we are reading the Ruskin one. I would like to get ahold of the one by MG.

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene | 26 comments OK, let me see if I can get a copy of that one.

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene | 26 comments I think I found this in a collection of writings by Ruskin. It was only 18 pages long. I read it yesterday.

message 7: by Christopher (new)

That was probably a quarter of it. It was 4 essays, or articles. That were written as continuing periodicals.

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene | 26 comments Does not look like the collection I found at the library has the other 3 essays.

message 9: by Christopher (new)

I will grab my copy and tell you the names of the essays as soon as I can.

message 10: by Christopher (new)

The four essays that comprise the book are as follows;
1. The Roots of Honor
2. The Veins of Wealth
3. Qui Judicatis Terram
4. Ad Valorem

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene | 26 comments The collection I found only had the one essay and it was not labeled as any of these, it bore the book's title.